[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can anyone tell me what these two things are? My brother passed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

File: 20170414_171313.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170414_171313.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Can anyone tell me what these two things are?

My brother passed away in September and we are just starting to clean out his house.

This box was on his kitchen table and I have no idea what it is. One is kinda heavy
>>
>>1161453
Microwave transformer and the part that makes the microwaves
>>
>>1161454
P.s. sorry about your brother
>>
>>1161453
Smash the one on the right on some concrete and snort the powder that falls out. It will give you super powers, no joke.
>>
>>1161453
The pink part is beryliumoxide, which is fucking poisonous
>>
>>1161454
>>1161455
Thank you.

why would someone save this? What would you do with them?

Also are they dangerous?
>>
>>1161457
Is that dangerous to keep in your house?
>>
>>1161458
Did he repair anything for a living?

That is a transformer and a magnetron. Very common to remove these for diy things or to scrap.

Also, 2 parts that commonly go bad in a microwave.
>>
>>1161460
You have it in your house. In your microwave. Throw them away if you don't know what they do. Don't lick the pink. Good rule for all aspects of life. You may get cancer, death or herpes of the mouth.
>>
>>1161457
No it isn't, it's pink colored alumina.
>>
>>1161454
>part that makes the microwaves
is called a magnetron

>>1161458
if you power it up it will emit electromagnetic radiation which is bad.
microwaves work by exciting molecules in food, usually water. excited molecules vibrate faster which is what temperature is.
humans are like what 60-70% water, so best case is you will cook yourself 'from the inside out'. that part is in quotes because microwaves don't cook from the inside out the cook pretty much evenly on average ignoring the fundamentals of wave equations and shit. but it will cook you and fucking with the inside of your body temperature is very bad juju.
otherwise i don't know cancer or some shit which is also what you can get from playing with the ceramic insulator part in the middle.
but if you don't mind a slow painful death then i guess you could dissasemble it, there are some fun magnets inside.

the transformer is wicked high voltage, people use them for high voltage projects like jacobs ladders or tesla coils prossibly? but thats kind of oldschool approach you can make them pretty much out of high frequency discreet semiconductors now.
>>
>>1161457
>>1161458
>beryliumoxide

Only a problem when it gets damaged and you breath in the dust like this tard wants you to do: >>1161456

The MOT is great for DIY projects like spot welders and Lichtenberg figures.
>>
>>1161461
Yes, He did that as a hobby.

Thanks.

>>1161468
>>1161469
Thank you VERY much!

Answered all my questions
>>
>>1161473
>Mfw /diy/ was actually helpful for once and not just shitposting at people using the wrong kind of screw

Good job lads.
>>
>>1161463
yeah i don't think they have used berylium in magnetrons in decades
>>
>>1161474
>>Mfw /diy/ was actually helpful for once

/diy/ is actually helpful maybe 50% of the time. It way out of line with most other boards on that front.
>>
>>1161481
Problem is you don't know how old that magnetron is.
>>
>>1161481
Diseased estate often has old stuff. Best bits to play with for joe average are the magnets. I'd still avoid smashing the tube it's self.
>>
>>1161461
>Very common to remove these for diy things or to scrap.
Those two magnets are my favorite part of the whole appliance. I have several of them around the house.

>>1161462
>Don't lick the pink. Good rule for all aspects of life.
No. There is one aspect of life where licking pink is the best thing ever.
>>
Man, a pair of magnetron magnets is exactly what I need right now, ship them over to me OP.
>>
That's a transformer and a magnetron. I haven't used a magnetron for anything, personally, but I love fucking around with transformers.
>>
>>1161496
>>Don't lick the pink. Good rule for all aspects of life.
>No. There is one aspect of life where licking pink is the best thing ever.

You missed a part.>>1161462
>or herpes of the mouth.
>>
>>1161531
No I didn't, I made sure I picked a clean girl.
>>
>>1161531
No problem, I already have it
>>
File: twenty five percent.png (5KB, 632x90px) Image search: [Google]
twenty five percent.png
5KB, 632x90px
>>1161535
>>1161537
>>
Ive thought of putting a magnetron in my back bumper facing backwards to fry tailgaters
>>
>>1161453
Magnetron
>>
>>1161582
you are a fool
>>
>>1161458
because its fucking cool. You could build a microwave gun with that. Just dont point at your eyes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80kDn4vit_w
>>
Brother died from being cooked inside out and herpes sat at his kitchen table. Turn the machine on.
>>
>>1161966
>herpes sat at his kitchen table
Wot?
>>
>>1161453
plug it in and find out
>>
>>1161453
If you break that pink thing you can actually snort the dust it makes and get high, OP. Me and my brother used to go buy microwaves at goodwill and do it all the time when we were younger!
>>
>>1161453
Microwave emitter and wave guide. Dispose of them immediately the micro wave emitter contains berilium and will give you cancer
>>
>>1161453
Im gonna strip out 3 microwaves for their transformers soon
I never even thought about the magnetron

What can I do with a magnetron?
Also, people stop buying 99$ microwaves. They dont last but a year or two. Im actually appalled at how unreliable these fucking things are
>>
File: crow cartoon.jpg (22KB, 286x250px) Image search: [Google]
crow cartoon.jpg
22KB, 286x250px
>>1161966
>>
>>1163516
My microwave was like £19.99, that's just $25.52 and it's going strong 5 years and a bit later.

If it looks like shit it is shit, the price has little to do with it.
>>
>>1163516
>I never even thought about the magnetron
>What can I do with a magnetron?

You could accidentally kill yourself with it.

Well, that's not entirely likely, even if it's possible. More likely is near-instant sterilization and blindness, should you stand in the wrong path of it. Plus that ceramic insulation ring near the antenna is made of some highly toxic stuff.

It's really not very good for anything except just blasting power at things. Which itself isn't terribly useful outside of its intended purpose. Unless you already have a specific reason for keeping them, the best thing to do is just recycle them.
>>
>>1163521
>If it looks like shit it is shit

I had a cheap emerson die
So I went and bought a Sharp Carousel because its a well known name
It died
So I bought a nicer Panasonic, identical to the one they sell at costco

It literally just died last week.
This is 3 microwaves in 5 years now. They got a fair amount of use because of college, but come one now.
>>
>>1161456
go die
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.