[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fucking reddit told me I was stupid and did not know where to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: eeee.png (26KB, 778x671px) Image search: [Google]
eeee.png
26KB, 778x671px
Fucking reddit told me I was stupid and did not know where to post this, so you guys get my stupid question instead.
I want to be hot big strong guy and fuck with the cold wind, so I have decided that I need to do way instain clay by """hand."""
Now, everyone says:
1) SOURCE CLAY FROM NATURAL MUD/SOIL
2) HYDRATE
3) AGITATE
4) ALLOW TO SETTLE
5) SKIM
6) DRY
But that takes fucking ten years.
INSTEAD:
How do I somehow fabricobble a centrifugal contraption for to making the settling happen sidewards and faster? Does it have to be sidewards? Is this idea stupid?
>>
>>1160871
Literally just let the mixture sit for two hours and syphon the rest. Sand falls faster than silt falls faster than clay.

If you really are this impatient, A centrifuge could work, but you would want to filter out anything larger than the clay particles but your yield will be less than if you just go about the time method. If you're a home diy dude, it is better for your time if you just wait the two hours. If this is for a business, consult an engineer.
>>
>>1160871
tie rope to bucket
grab rope
sit in swivel chair
do the spin
???
PFFFIT
>>
>>1160889
actually nevermind my >>1160886 post this guy clearly has the right idea

really though it only takes 2 hours for everything in a soil mixture to settle. The labor to centrifuge vs. time saved is minimal, you can be more productive elsewhere while you wait.
>>
>>1160894
Is it really only 2 hours? Everyone on bushcraft sites had been saying "wait OVERNIGHT," which no one fucking has time for.
>>
>>1160914
Depends on the depth of the suspension, but yeah if you fill a bucket with the suspension it should realistically finish in 2-3 hours iirc. Sand settles in a matter of seconds, silt in a matter of minutes (usually 30(?)), clay in a matter of hours. This is what I'm remembering from my soil science course from a while back. If the soil has high clay content you'll have a substantial layer.
>>
>>1160871
Potter here. What are you trying to do? Stratify clay and silt by particle size? Sieve sand out of clay? What is the purpose? What material do you want, and what do you want to ultimately do with it? I don't know what "instain" means.

Anyway, I'm just gonna assume you're digging clay and want to get some sand out of it. You really don't want to get all the sand out of it, because it'd be a sticky fucking mess and most of it would crack upon drying without any. Throw your fucking clay mud into a big ass bucket. Add enough water (a little at a time) to make it like a pudding consistency, then mix it well. I do it with a paint-mixer paddle on an electric hand drill. Dump the shit into an empty bucket with a screen door mesh suspended over the rim. Help it pass through the screen with a toilet scrub brush or something. It will catch all the large sand particles, but everything else passes. Now just let it dry out enough to use. Takes way less time (but more physical labor) than getting it really watery and letting it settle out. I'd tell ya how to deflocc a slip, but since I don't know what you're doing, I don't know if that'd be helpful.
>>
>>1160946
Ok, so let me say one more thing. You're talking about muddy shit. So clay from a creek or stream, yes? The water is doing all the fucking stratification work for you if you look around and dig the right spot. Wander around the banks for a while and feel around. Go up to spots just above the waterline and dig a little bit. You should be able to find some pretty clean spots farting around for a few hours.
>>
>>1160948
Ah, fuck. I'm not done yet. I'm making the assumption you have identified clay at all, rather than silt. Okay, so if you think you've found something you need to do a quick field test. grab a golfball size handful and dry it out with your hands (or wetten it if it's dry) to a pastry dough firmness. Make a coil (snake) about the size of a pencil and see if you can wrap it around your finger a few times without it cracking too much or outright falling apart. If yes, it means there's a fine particle size and there's enough clay to do something with it to be worth your time. If no, keep looking.
>>
>>1160946
Also, I eventually plan to build Ollas with the clay. Is there going to be a problem with the porosity?
>>
>>1161012
You're Spanish? No. Ollas can be unglazed riverbed earthenware (terra cotta). You just need to compress and burnish the surface with a smooth object like a metal spoon or polished stone when it's still slightly damp. I'm gonna assume you'll figure out how to build a kiln and fire them yourself. When you cook with them you have to fully soak them in water for half an hour, and the first thing you should make is something very oily with a neutral flavor. This will seal the inner surface. The water-soaking part prevents the food from drying out, and somewhat protects the clay from the thermal shock of direct flames. This all kinda depends on your clay, so you get to experiment to see how flameproof it is when cooking.

If you're talking about non-cooking Native American olla vessels, porosity's not an issue at all. Those pots are burnished with a stone so thoroughly they shine like polished marble.

Jesus. I am such a nerd.
>>
>>1161019
I am not Spanish; I just use the hip(tm) new(r) lingo for whatever the fuck I'm thinking about. Is olla just Spanish for pot? I just want to use them as lazy-boy-water-reservoirs. I am uncertain about the standing water, though, so I guess I better make a decent lid?
Have you never heard of people burying them up to their necks and using them as a water source for their house plants/crops?
>>
>>1161031
Yes, olla is Spanish for pot. Well, shit. Coincidentally, porous clay makes excellent water cisterns. The slow evaporation of water through the walls causes cooling and may give a little bit of convection to prevent stagnation. Trade off is you have to top it off every now and then. Yes, you definitely want lids to prevent insects and other animals from getting in there. Yeah, I've seen people use unglazed, porous vessels as soaker hoses. You can also make spikes to stick in the soil that indicate if it's moist or not by how high the wet line is.
>>
>>1161043
Also, you're a potter: Do people ever 'machine' or lathe pots from fired cubes of clay?
>>
>>1161019
What the fuck man. Get a different hobby you're in too deep.
>>
>>1160914

Just wait you fucking mongoloid.

Fuck. Talk to us when you take up brewing or gardening.
>>
>>1161133
Did you not read the thread? That is exactly what I plan to do with the clay: Make ollas for gardening.
I'm going to go insane.
>>
>>1161049
Not really. Fired clay is too hard to turn like wood. It could be done with semi-dry clay on a potter's wheel if you could manage to dry a big solid piece out without it cracking. Many potters turn unfired pots to trim a better profile on the outsides and foot. A great many slip cast pots are made by making a mold of big, cylindrical plaster blanks that were turned on vertical wheels. It's very much like the turning process with a lathe.

>>1161104
Sadly, it's too late for me. I've been in too deep for 20 years and went pro long ago. I have an unusual amount of esoteric knowledge even amongst potters. I'm turning into one of those old guys that knows everything. It's weird as shit. Everybody's run into that kind of old craftsman/tradesman. I always used to enjoy talking to them. Except the ones that never shut up. You work with one for a week and his stories start to cycle around again. I don't want to be one of those ones.

On the other hand, I can see the path where you know so much on a topic that you start to see all the interconnectedness with other topics and how futile it all is. You really know nothing, and just stop talking. Enjoy my blog.
>>
>>1161232
What's the difference between mass-produced pottery (bowls et cetera from walmart) and craftsman stuff?
>>
>>1161237
Do you believe objects made individually by a human hand have a soul? Like somehow a person can transfer a trace of whatever it means to be human into an object? I think that the further you divest the creator from the creation in terms of process and scale, the colder it becomes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxpcUnquXJI
>>
>>1160871
>reddit told me I was stupid
We're going to tell you you're stupid as well.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.