[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /diy/ think of Earthships? They seem to be pretty

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 9

File: nm.jpg (158KB, 940x626px) Image search: [Google]
nm.jpg
158KB, 940x626px
What does /diy/ think of Earthships?

They seem to be pretty darn DIY in most cases, and the reuse of old materials is quite interesting to me.

I always thought they were only for dry desert climates, but I recently saw one in Alberta that changed my mind on this.

There's a website where you can find them for sale, I've been poking around just to check out the architecture.
>>
>>1160070
I think calling them earthships should land you in a mental institution.

They're nifty, although I personally find the use of glass bottles to be unbelievably tacky, I much prefer bare clay walls.
>>
>>1160075
Heh, yeah, it instantly calls up images of crunchy hippies, which I think turns a lot of people off the idea right away.

I agree on the bottles. I've not seen too many that look good, most seem to just throw them in there randomly.
>>
>>
>>
>>1160075
>I personally find the use of glass bottles to be unbelievably tacky, I much prefer bare clay walls.
they can look pretty good if people know how ro use them
>>
>>1160588
but that looks like shit
>>
>>1160078
not to mention they seem to crack if you don't put them in right once it gets cold
>>
>>1160070
I find Earthship houses to have a really neat and unique aesthetic. But I've also heard that they are unhealthy to live in because of using recycled tires is this true?
>>
Bump
I want more pics of these kinds of houses
>>
>>1160604
Hu? I didn't think people did this anyplace it gets cold.
>>
File: Earthship_Taos.jpg (45KB, 564x376px) Image search: [Google]
Earthship_Taos.jpg
45KB, 564x376px
>>1160620
Here is a neat pic from an interior of an Earthship. The recycled bottles look best if they are done in a way that catches light.
>>
>>1160641
still looks like shit
>>
it's certainly a method but if you're looking for ease you should go with earth bag method, if you're going for baller diy construction do cordwood
>>
>>1160641
I like this, very comfy looking
>>
>>1160603
Says the guy with no taste
>>
>>1160696
>i want to live in garbage but THAT GUY has no taste
>>
>>1160070
pointless bullshit made during the 60s/70s when there werent any kind of building regulations and material was super fucking cheap. The ones that work only work because they are in the middle of the desert where rain and snow dont fuck them up, and lets be honest. Pretty much anything you build inthe desert is gonna stay as is in the desert because the desert doesnt have much in terms of erosion.
>>
>>1160911
The majority of these are in a ski resort in the rockies.
Do some research.
>>
>>1160070
1: Excellent way to hide trash.
2: Excellent way to have tons of toxic heavy metals and other pollutants right inside the walls of your home and in your local watershed.
3: Excellent way for people to be artsy, (much like the Photoshop Lens Flare Tool they can be artsy to the point of nausea.)
4: Excellent way to easily fuck up the solar design, making your home either too cold or too hot or both depending on the season.

Now, here's the problem. Most people fucking suck at most everything, unfortunately. This is especially true when you give them complete control over the design of a home and tell them that what they are doing is "green". Now, that is really great and I love the freedom and happiness people get from such endeavors. However, Earthships are some of the most butt ugly buildings this side of the cob home movement as you can find. If people made them without using stuff like toxic tires, it'd be much better from an environmental and personal health standpoint. If they were practically artistic and had real artistic skills they'd be much much better. Some people can make really beautiful things and make them function properly too. Most people can not.

I mean even a glass bottle cob wall can look fucking beautiful if it is designed correctly. Unfortunately, that is not the case 99.9999% of the time. Hell, most people don't even think about what they are doing. They don't plan ahead properly. They just get creative and go with the flow. Then it looks like shit because they've never done anything like that before. They don't even factor in a finish coat on the cob or what color would look good for the finish coat. Some don't even know about whitewashing or the fact you can color it. Thus we get ugly, highly creative, brown cob, bottle walls.

Personally, when I mess up art and function of a project, I tear that shit down and start from scratch, knowing that is what I'll be doing if I mess up. Most people can't do that.
>>
File: Cob Home.jpg (159KB, 720x441px) Image search: [Google]
Cob Home.jpg
159KB, 720x441px
>>1160911
The materials used in cob structures is still super cheap since it is only locally source materials that happen to be free. As far as building regulations go, most cob homes meet those regulations easily. That's the first step in planning a structure after all.

Cob is also an ancient building material used all over Europe in rainy, snowy conditions. Some are still around, being lived in, and are 100s of years old. They have stone foundations, whitewash walls, and thatch roofs, unless the roof has been modernized.

Earthships differ from standard cob homes by the inclusion of trash into the walls (old tires, bottles, etc.), their semi-underground design, and solar-based regulation of heating/cooling. Technically, trash doesn't need to be included since it does nothing at all for the structure itself. Even some cob homes have wine bottle walls.

Standard cob homes can look like an average home in shape and design (pic).

Remember, it really isn't the materials fault that people can't make something look good. There are more people who can make bad-looking things than people who can make good-looking things.
>>
>>1160697
100 times this kek
>>
I really don't like the aesthetics and the liberal use of glass bottles and old tires, while crafty, just doesn't beat straight up stone or other building materials.

I don't like the actual structures, but I watch YouTube videos of people who live in these for other ideas, mostly on insulation, plumbing, and irrigation
>>
>>1160070
>What does /diy/ think of Earthships?
They look fucking disgusting.
>>
>>1160627
10/10 earthsips confirmed for hippie shit.
>>
>>1160070
Fantastic idea with terrible branding. Some materials need to be substituted, though.

I'm a big fan of anything that's efficient with heat.
>>
>>1161008
the original earthships were built by drugaddict degenerates in the arizona desert. just because some rich fuck decided to co-opt the term to scam some millenial faggots doesnt change the origin. You do some fucking research.
>>
>>1161803
Not an argument, kid.
>>
>>1160588
sink is too flashy for me, but the shower looks 10/10 would love to try a night in whatever earth ship this is.
>>
File: 0901e9c489c9c516d139d2ae620de103.jpg (612KB, 1500x1125px) Image search: [Google]
0901e9c489c9c516d139d2ae620de103.jpg
612KB, 1500x1125px
>>1161290
I do love when people actually take the effort to decorate the walls like that.
>>
Looks like something a wood elf would build. With a hint of hobbit.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.