[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

posted on /g/ was told to go here im stripping a dc power cable

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: laptop dc power cable.jpg (67KB, 456x810px) Image search: [Google]
laptop dc power cable.jpg
67KB, 456x810px
posted on /g/ was told to go here

im stripping a dc power cable to a laptop and all i can find is the protective wires and just one set of wires in the middle??? where the fuck is the positive and ground?

(btw i didn't do the shit solder job)
>>
The outer one is most likely the ground. Plug it in and hook it up to a multimeter to confirm.
>>
>>1160019
>protective wires
>wires in the middle
One is positive and the other is negative. The shielding is typically ground, but DC circuits can be either positive or negative ground.
>>
>>1160019
>found two wires
>where the fuck is the positive and ground?
nigga pls...
>>
>>1160019
white is hot the other is ground
>>
>>1160034
>either positive or negative ground
Learn more please
>>
>>1160799
Google "positive or negative ground"
Maybe you'll learn something too
>>
>>1160019
Middle is plus protective stuff around it us ground
>>
>>1160801
or i could just bash myself over the head with a rock for the same effect.
ground is a reference, neither positive or negative.
voltages can be positive or negative w.r.t ground.
positive ground means literally nothing.
negative ground is also meaningless.
>>
>>1162815
>>1160801

you are both right, but >>1162815 is more right.

I can see this one question derailing this thread and /diy/ for weeks.

but in case anyone cares, I googled just to see, and all it means it that the ground reference is in some cases ALWAYS positive with respect to all other DC voltages, or always negative. for example, some Older cars had the + battery terminal tied to the frame, which a mechanic would probably call positive ground. Later on, most cars had the - terminal grounded, so those same mechanics would call that negative ground, which makes perfect sense to a non-EE and is a simple way to avoid confusion and burned out components.

Actual electronic circuits simply have ground, as >>1162815 describes.
>>
>>1160801
>>1162830
And because derailing was mentioned... If you think about a standard computer PSU, it has a ground and also rails from -12V to +12V. So it's basically a middle ground! Ya for me and my unique terminology!
>>
>>1162830
>Later on, most cars had the - terminal grounded,

Think about that for a bit.
>>
>>1164993
>not keeping a bucket of ground in your car
>>
>>1164993
Well that's the normal way to do it so electrons from the battery can slow down rusting bodywork
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.