[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Found this old char-broil gas grill in the storage closet, I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 4

Found this old char-broil gas grill in the storage closet, I've been craving charcoal grilled burgers so I'm wondering how safe it is for me to convert it.
>>
here it is before I removed the gas fixture, the pan section is used in the next pic
>>
and here is how I think I'd use it if there's no concerns. The pan is about an inch away from the bottom, I flipped it over and wedged it down there to create airspace under the coals and to cover those two large openings on the bottom of the grill. The coals would be ~4-5 inches from the grill in this set up. I would put the whole grill on top of a large sheet pan to avoid the embers dropping onto the wooden deck.

the only thing I can figure might go wrong is that the coals get too hot and somehow melt through the bottom, or the grill just doesn't work that well. any thoughts?
>>
Would probably burn shitty unless you put a real grate down there. Not enough airflow.
>>
>>1159824
Don't put this much effort in op. Just poke come holes in the bottom. They don't have to be nice looking holes either as your doing to be setting things on fire.
>>
Rust is going to be your main long-term health issue here if you use it repeatedly. Once or twice you'll be fine (im no doctor tho)

Distance from patties won't be an issue once you figure out the perfect amount of coals to patty size for the perfect grilled burger. iirc, each coal briquette is another 15 degrees.

Make a test burn for two reasons: Burn off any bacteria or scummed up crap that's been festering in the pores of the metal. Secondly it'll show you if it can handle a ridiculous amount of heat (think 500+) and not melt, you're good to go.

Crumple tin foil as a temporary charcoal elevator, >>1159824 is correct that the coals won't get efficient air flow. You could buy one of those disposable tin tray that people put turkeys in on Thanksgiving after punching a bunch of holes in it.

>>1159826 is also correct, you're literally going to burn the fuck outta the bottom part of the grill, it doesn't need to be nice, it just needs to be efficient. Run some test burns, maybe drilling an air vent on the side walls might be your ticket to burger heaven.

Do post results Anon. I'm currently renovating my offset smoker, It's been sitting in my parent's yard for a few years while I lived in an apartment so it's a giant rust bucket now. Would be interested to see your method

>totally didn't imply you are my guinea pig
>>
File: 1492134543935.jpg (2MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1492134543935.jpg
2MB, 2048x1536px
definetely have a go anon, if you are going to add air holes to the tray, make them in the side so the ash doesn't fall out everywhere. Happy barbequeing...
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.