[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the best way to learn about tooling & get more

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 7

File: 1491424232006.jpg (220KB, 985x1566px) Image search: [Google]
1491424232006.jpg
220KB, 985x1566px
What's the best way to learn about tooling & get more knowledge/familiarity with mechanical tools?

I'm a mechanical engineering student but I haven't the time to actually do real world mechanical engineering stuff.
>>
Take some classes at the local community/technical college. University engineering programs teach jack shit about practical machinist skills, just a whole lot of paper theory and problem solving.
>>
>>1159093
i picked up a lot of tooling knowledge just watching random youtube vids and paying attention to what gets used when and why

nothing beats experience tho. see if you can pick up an internship or part time job at a machine shop nearby. i learned more last summer working in a house shop with a crotchety greybeard teaching me his wisdom than all 4 years of mech eng classes combined. also looks fuckin sweet on that resume
>>
>>1159093
More?
>>
File: 393.jpg (38KB, 597x600px) Image search: [Google]
393.jpg
38KB, 597x600px
>>1159093
>I'm a mechanical engineering student but I haven't the time to actually do real world mechanical engineering stuff.

lemme guess, you are slam jamming 16+ credits a semester?

slow your roll turbo. your school has a machine shop. go use it. think about taking 12 credits next semester so you have more time to study shit on your own/get an internship. i bet you there is a mom n pop machine shop around you who will pay you above minimum wage to be a CAD/CAM monkey for a summer.

academics is great and all, but you are on the path to being one of those stellar students with no applicable skills who can't get a job after graduation. don't be that guy, they come here and make whinging posts about "falling for the STEM meme".
>>
>>1159093
me on the right
>>
>>1159097
>>1159100
No practical experience is the biggest drawback of current engineering grads. Everyone's shit hot on CAD, but can't design a practical part for the life of them, because the work holding's impossible, or the tolerances are ludicrous etc etc.

Listen to this advice OP, once you've machined things yourself, you'll design with manufacturing in mind, and you'll be the one graduate that doesn't fall out with the machine shop guys.
>>
>>1159289
What this guy said.
Mechanical engineering student here as well. At my school, we get a mandatory workshop course the very first semester and are encouraged in many other courses to actually go produce prototypes.
If the school doesn't set you up for courses like that, pick up a hobby requiring tooling.
Me, I build movie and game replicas.
>>
>>1159307
>I build movie and game replicas.

I'm interested, such as?
>>
>>1159313
Revan's and Darth Malak's masks. Both made of aluminum sheets. Laser cut the rough shapes which were then bend and hammered using the uni's workshop machines. Spot welded the parts together on Malak's mask.
Captain America's shield. Again, aluminum sheets laser cut then bend and hammered. Spot welded layers together before engraving details and painting.
Also made a Warhammer themed chessboard out of wood using the workshop's cnc milling machine. Major work here was the CAD model.
Minor projects involve manual milling and turning components for prototypes used in course projects.
Can't provide pics at the moment sadly. All my shit's piled up in boxes 'cause I had to move back in with parents.
>>
File: 1429215817808.jpg (138KB, 580x386px) Image search: [Google]
1429215817808.jpg
138KB, 580x386px
>>1159258
>>
File: wuts the question.png (831KB, 445x799px) Image search: [Google]
wuts the question.png
831KB, 445x799px
Ive read this post a dozen times and this is all I can concentrate on
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-04-05-23-31-52.png (911KB, 768x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-04-05-23-31-52.png
911KB, 768x1280px
>>1159093
Hahahahaha what the fuck
>>
>>1159543
womanlets btfo?
>>
File: 8797978979.jpg (33KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
8797978979.jpg
33KB, 500x375px
>>1159543
haha what the hell? why would someone do this?
>>
>>1159543
>>1159585
shes short af and trying to see over the counter
>>
>>1159585
Dads a firefighter or lineman. It keeps the top of the shoe tighter around your ankle.

Just a fashion thing with converse. Or maybe ticks are really bad around there.
>>
>>1159531
This, and op is a fag for not delivering more.
>>
File: question.jpg (65KB, 445x799px) Image search: [Google]
question.jpg
65KB, 445x799px
>>1159531
I offer visual aid.
>>
>>1159589
and poke her pussy out
>>
>>1159531
There's a post?
>>
the best way?
use them
put some calluses on those soft hands of yours

take some shit apart, then put it back together again. it will help you understand tools and engineering better
>>
>>1159590
They are tied like that because she left the top eyelets unlaced so the laces are too long and need to be wrapped around.
>>
>>1159659
That's actually a great idea, it deserves a /diy/ banner.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.