[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /DIY/ Looking to buy a house we currently have been renting.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 1465916144951.jpg (672KB, 1600x1195px) Image search: [Google]
1465916144951.jpg
672KB, 1600x1195px
Hey /DIY/

Looking to buy a house we currently have been renting.
I'm okay with owning and looking after a house we've rented for the last few years since most things have been okay. We love the location, neighborhood has nice people, and would be desirable to rent in the future.

A few things concern me and thus are why we are having an inspector coming Tuesday to look at the house.

The house is on silts/cinder blocks. Also, the house is uneven in some areas because of this.
Also, some warping around the house and furnishings have cracked in half because of the house settling? It was built in the 50s. Looking around the outside there are some visible cracks but again not much to go off of.
Current owner has a sump pump to deal with water in the crawl space under the house.

Figured it was a good time to buy on a decently priced house for the area. Providing the inspection and apprasial go well,
>>
Congratulations on soon becoming a home owner. Did you have a specific question in there or just want to start a home ownership thread?
>>
>>1158988
Both.
Would warping of the house be a something huge to worry about prior to buying/inspection?
>>
>>1158991
All structures (cept maybe those built on bedrock) settle. Depending on the severity you can let it go, jack up the affected parts of the house and shim them level, or go ham and pour new footings for the foundation. My guess you're in the first category and with a bottle jack and afternoon could be into the second one pretty easily. The inspector will tell you for sure.
>>
I wrote an offer on a house today.

Good feels mang. Hope it works out for you and me both.
>>
I bought a house 4 years ago and today I can say It's a lot of work. Gives a good feeling but sometimes I wish back the more unconcerned times where I just rent a flat.
>>
Hey /DIY/,

Got that inspection done today, inspector looked at a bunch.
The guy said a bunch of minor stuff was wrong.
But a bunch of major stuff was wrong too.

1) Mold. The guy said this mold was all over the base of the foundation and in the crawl space under the house.
2) Foundation was okay around the outside. However, while under the house in the crawl space, there are several structural problems.
3)Attic: The attic is entirely unsafe in one spot above the bathroom. Sounds like you can't even walk in that area.
4) More mold but upstairs in the attic. This and the crawl space mold are really bad and needs treated immediately.
5) The roof needs replacing soon as well.

We withdrew the verbal offer because of all of this information.

Should we have negotiated with him on price? We feel very confident that he would not have and would be scared that he would 'fix' the problems, taking the money and running.
>>
>>1159924
are you supposed to be able to walk in the attic?
>>
>>1159926
If you can walk the entire attic without falling through the attic except in this one spot, I'd say yes.
>>
>>1159924
It sounds like a super shitty house. Do not buy it, look for one that passes inspection with only very very minor things. (i.e. roof needs to be replaced in 5 or so years. Trees will eventually need to be cut down.) Also, try to check it out during a bad rainstorm, if the basement leaks at all, I would consider not buying it or really fucking with him on the price.

It may seem like a good deal to buy a shitty house for cheap, but it will fuck you in the long-run because you won't be able to get home insurance, you might die from fire hazards/mold, and it might fall the uck down on you while you're in it, and then you're out on the street, probably still paying it off because even at a steal most people don't just have $20,000-$50,000 of hand to buy it with, and if you did you wouldn't be buying the shit house.

The banks don't let you get out of your loan because you got a dud, you still have to pay for it or it destroys your credit and then you're homeless.
>>
>>1159944
Yeah, we passed on it.
Landlord is going to get even more aggressive with getting us out but we are even more interested in moving out but all the houses for rent are shit on craigslist/zillow/padmapper.
>>
>>1158971
Buy new houses.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.