[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /diy/ I'm looking at a new apartment that doesn't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: WASHER DRYER.png (468KB, 2046x1028px) Image search: [Google]
WASHER DRYER.png
468KB, 2046x1028px
Hey /diy/ I'm looking at a new apartment that doesn't have an in unit washer a dryer, and I can't stand waiting for openings at communal ones anymore. So this new place has a walk in closet right next to the bathroom, and I was thinking what I could do is cut out a hole through the wall between the closet and the bathroom and then connect the washer hoses to the pipes under the sink.

Does this seem feasible? I'm not worried about making a hole in the apartment wall since they will be in not very visible spots and patching drywall is easy enough, but I've never had to cut such a sizable hole through one side of a hole and out the other.

Anyone have any advice on this? Any completely new ideas on getting a washer and dryer into an apartment with no hookups?
>>
>>1158693
well maybe before you go smashing holes in walls have a look at where the pipes go to/from the sink.
if they pass under the closet floor then you might not need to make a hole in the wall at all.

consider carefully the requirements for especially any drain hoses so it doesn't syphon dirty water and shit everywhere. check and electronic copy of the manual of the appliance online before you buy it if you haven't already.

but yeah i would be bashing the hole already before asking here lol.

if you are renting you will want to consider asking someone first though? do you know there is nothing in the wall you are going to hit? cables? gas pipe? don't trust those scanner detector things they are shit.
>>
>>1158693
Our landlord said we weren't allowed to put a washing machine upstairs as the floor of the upstairs toilet aren't waterproof. So we have it in the basement. Which is cool as it started to leak and upstairs that would have been a serious problem.
>>
Where/how are you going to vent the dryer?
>>
>>1160144
Stop asking stupid questions.

>>1158693
>tired of waiting for a dryer

I haven't used a dryer in 6 years.
>>
>>1158693
I have a washing machine connected the way you described, only its in the same room as the sink. Remember to prop up the hose in a "U" shape to not let sink water drain into the washing machine.
>>
>>1158693
>cut out a hole through the wall between the closet and the bathroom and then connect the washer hoses to the pipes under the sink.

Landlords love shit like this.
>>
>>1160982
to be fair, landlords do love to do shit like that.
>>
>>1160986
This.

My brother actually managed to negotiate a deal with a landlord at the new apartment he got.
if he done it up, he would give him a cheaper rent.
He does interior design, painting and shit like that anyway.

As long as you can prove you know your shit, most landlords would be fine with you doing up their place for them and give you a rent discount.
>>
>>1161494
>doing up their place for them
>cutting holes in the walls between rooms

Your opinion of 'doing up the place' and mine are obviously different.

Three bedroom house vacant between renters.
Has small 'closet' in kitchen / dining area for washer and dryer.
Bi-fold doors for 'closet'
Back of closet is adjacent to storage room on back of house.
Cut out opening in storage room to fit washer connection to plumbing in closet/storage room wall..
Remove closet connections and fill in opening.
Fill in opening for dryer connections.
Re-finish wall
Remove bi-fold doors and rebuild wall to fit single door centered on closet.
Convert closet to pantry by building shelving inside.
House now has nice, lighted pantry in kitchen and washer and dryer connections in room just to right of patio door.
House now rents for more than it did before making changes.

Cutting a hole in the wall makes it rent for less.
Remodeling may make it rent for more.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.