[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Once I get my major service (timing belt, water pump, spark plugs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

File: BT-19-Car_1232707517.jpg (51KB, 530x398px) Image search: [Google]
BT-19-Car_1232707517.jpg
51KB, 530x398px
Once I get my major service (timing belt, water pump, spark plugs etc) done I am going to finally try and learn to start servicing my car myself.

I drive a 2004 wrx, just bought the Haynes manual, don't really know shit about cars on a mechanical level.

how badly can i fuck things up permanently and which tasks should I focus on?

I'll probably still pay to get brake pads and shit done since i don't have jack stands and stuff.

Anything else I should add for the mechanic to do during the major service to give me a clean as possible slate to work off?
>>
>>1158006
>i don't have jack stands and stuff.
forget it then
#1 job is changing the oil. the most important small service you can do to keep your engine healthy. unless you have ramps or a pit you will need a jack and stands.
#1 job is changing oil. find out the interval and what oil grade to use depends on temperature outside. change the oil filter too of course.
shit like air filter/cabin filter is important but i woudn't class it as servicing because its as simple as changing a wiper blade.

anything you do to your car badly can fuck it up.
change the oil, put in too much? main seal blows under pressure. not enough? engine explodes. don't tighten up sump plug properly or forget compression washer? oil leaks and engine explodes. break a spark plug and a bit falls in the engine? engine smashed / cat converter gets a hole torn through == you fail emissions.
it goes on and on. bits in cars aren't there for fun (well new cars they are i guess) they are required for the car to work, and when you are going 100 in two ton of steel you want things to work properly otherwise you die.

but don't let me put you off its very rewarding, just think it through and talk to yourself as you do it and make sure you don't fuck it up.

either you want to do it to learn and you will and thats great or you will realise how much tools cost and its probably just as costly to get it done by a garage. but that's boring.

read the manual, parts will be 1) do this 2) do that 3) somehow this has happened but you don't know what the fuck they are talking about 4) suddenly magic 5)fuck you.
find some forums, people will post guides to major services you can pick up some tips even if its a different thing to what you are doing.

e.g. put hockey pucks between your chassis and jack stands so as not to scratch the rust protection.
>>
Just watch youtube videos over and over for certain jobs you want to do until you're confident in doing it. You'll be fine
>>
>>1158006

jack stands are $20
a jack is like $60
kill yourself for not doing the major service yourself
>>
>>1158006
Nah, man... Brakes are a good place to start. You could buy a jack, stands, the parts, and the three tools you need to do that job for less than what a shop charges.

Read that manual. YouTube is your friend. Forums are your friend. Amazon is your friend.
>>
Not op.

Literally going down this same road on my car.
>still having someone do oil and # point inspections.
>you need a new air filter anon
>how much shop dude
>calls parts store, $50
>time to learn how to diy this...
>go home and Google, paper filters are $12 at autozone.
>buy $50 reusable filter because should own the car for some time.

I'll be looking into oil changing next time around.
>>
I just leave my car on the hydraulic jack and brace the opposite wheel, and put a few 2x4s under the raised wheel. I fully recognize that this is stupid. But jack stands have always seemed like a major pain in the ass.

Can someone who can effectively shill for Big Jack Stand describe how they transfer their car from jack to stands without feeling like the Benny Hill theme should be playing?

When I move, I'm putting a four-point lift in my new garage. Fuck it.
>>
File: Sauter_Moped_18.04.131790.jpg (83KB, 740x536px) Image search: [Google]
Sauter_Moped_18.04.131790.jpg
83KB, 740x536px
OP, there are things you will not have that only come from experience:

>Knowing how much to tighten fasteners.
Too little is not good, shit comes loose, too much is not good, you break things or strip threads out causing a headache.

>The question of tools.
You're gonna need them and the more work you plan on doing, the chances of special tools being needed go up. A torque wrench is crucial and at least $100 for something that isn't garbage. Count on needing 1/2" and perhaps 3/8"...then sockets, spanners, screwdrivers and a place to put it all.

>I took it apart but forgot what goes where.
This happens a fair bit where a guy goes in over his head and brings us half completed work...or...attempts a service and messes up.
Do you have experience taking things apart and putting them back working and are you mechanically inclined?

>Is it good to learn?
Yes. But I'd buy a project and work on that instead of your daily to get a feel for it. You might love it but you may hate it. It can be rewarding and fun but at times can blow hard.

>Does it save money?
If you don't fuck things up and do competent work in a reasonable amount of time, then yes. But there are times when it's shitty work and time consuming...like removing old gaskets from machined surfaces without fucking them up. Or seized fasteners being a cunt.

t. motorcycle mechanic
>>
>>1158230
>>The question of tools.
>You're gonna need them and the more work you plan on doing, the chances of special tools being needed go up. A torque wrench is crucial and at least $100 for something that isn't garbage. Count on needing 1/2" and perhaps 3/8"...then sockets, spanners, screwdrivers and a place to put it all.

This is a great time to start going to estate sales and such.I've picked up qualify tools for pennies on the dollar. $100 for a torque wrench? Try $5. Most people cleaning out grand dad's garage don't know the difference between a torque wrench and a plain ratchet. Socket sets? $10-$15. I once paid $25 for a small toolbox filled with sockets, ratchets, screwdrivers, and a few different wrenches. All good quality American made tools.
>>
File: TopRiteShop_029.jpg (79KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
TopRiteShop_029.jpg
79KB, 800x600px
>>1158246
I'd be worried of a torque wrench being tossed around and knocked out of calibration. Not worth the risk for me but you do have a point and it's a great way to score GOOD tools for a reasonable price.

Not to mention keep the money out of China's pockets.
>>
>>1158006
If you have a place to park/store/work your car safely from the weather, you're good to go.

Get good sets of toolkit. Trusty gloves. Jacks/Jackstands. Watch youtube shit for detailed examples.

Practice on dead car at junkyard if you aren't too sure about a work.
>>
>>1158006
>Haynes manual
just buy the fucking factory service manual
>>
>>1158006
Forums and clubs youtube. Track fags. Etc.

Find a mechanic shop that services them and start hanging out there. Maybe hekp change a few tires and get a part time job there fucking up other peoples shit and diagnosing it.

Good luck
>>
>>1158025
>Fail emissions
That depends on where you live.
>>
>>1158307
No, no... Don't buy that shit. Some bro on some forum somewhere has uploaded that shit somewhere. Duh.
>>
File: jackstandtocar.jpg (33KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
jackstandtocar.jpg
33KB, 800x600px
>>1158193
One way.
>>
File: IMG_3024.jpg (37KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3024.jpg
37KB, 800x600px
>>1158440
Another...
>>
Op here. we have a Ford Telstar tx5 in the backyard which has been sitting there for about 10+years.

should I tinker on that first?

if so what should I experiment on it and can I realistically get it running again if it's been sitting there for that long.
>>
>>1158440
wtf is this shit

>>1158442
how anyone with a brain does it

>>1158193
jack the car up.
make sure H&S isn't looking and put stands under car
lower car onto stands
walk around car and give it a gentle push to make sure its stable and build up your confidence enough to climb into your grave.

just like anything dangerous, make sure you have a buddy to call the morgue for you so you aren't all bloated and stinky when they find you.
>>
>>1158474
>should I tinker on that first?

If you want to sink money into it and get nothing in return, sure
>pull spark plugs, squirt small amount of oil onto cylinders let sit overnight
>turn the crank by hand to see if engine is locked up or if its free

If its not locked up, you have to deal with bad gasoline
>drop gas tank, empty and clean it
>clean injectors or carburetor
>clean fuel lines

From there, if you have thoroughly cleaned the fuel system front to back, you have your engine moving freely then you need to look at belts and hoses. Replace all the dry rotted ones (probably a lot of them will be bad)
Replace the oil and the coolant.
Put in a new battery.

Then you can try to turn it over and see if itll start.
>>
>>1158006
>have leftovers from someone else's dream
>poorfag racecar mechanic
>>
>>1158006
>2004 wrx

I hope you learn how to replace head gaskets
>>
>>1158474
Yeah, tinker with that shit. Take it apart, put it back together. Have fun. Probably not a good idea to put money into it, of course...
>>
>>1158025
>when you are going 100 in two ton of steel you want things to work properly otherwise you die

WTF would you be going 100? Just because the car is capable of going 100 doesn't mean you should. Let me guess, you are the fucker who passes me, almost killing me, the oncoming car, and yourself because you are in such a fucking hurry just for me to catch up to you at the next traffic light. fuck off.
>>
Have the mechanic break loose your seat bolts and then have them tighten them again. If you need to do interior work, seats coming out is usually the first step, and those coarse threaded seat bolts Japanese manufacturers use will seize in the worst places possible. Get someone else to break them loose for you so you don't have that happen to you. Memories of my MX-3, and working on the brake light circuit come flooding back to me.
>>
>>1158745
Probably means 100kph anon, not mph.
>>
>>1158767
Maybe but, 100mph is hit very often on roads near me because they are flat, straight, and newish for 30+ Miles at a time with no stops. But I live in the middle of no where with "aircraft controlled" speeds.
>>
>>1158767
>going 100 in two ton of steel
>two ton

So which is it? Imperial or metric? If you are going to commit to an inferior measurement system at least stay committed. Don't throw an imperial unit in there for shits and giggles. Sure 2 ton is easier to say and type than "around 2000 KG" but that is what you get for being cucked by the metric system.

Also I have never heard anyone referring to a metric ton as a ton. If anything, even that a metric ton exists proves the flawed nature of the metric system. It does not follow the all "wonderful" base 10 rules and had to be created to mirror a superior system.
>>
>>1158780
>So which is it? Imperial or metric?
>>1158767
>Probably means 100kph anon, not mph.
>>1158780
>for being cucked by the metric system.
Whatever....

Just relax hillbillies, let's just everyone agree on using UNITS from now on, okay? It doesn't matter if you use some pints or gallons or pounds per acre. It's no 327,6 million usd mars climate orbiter but it's just good practice to use units.
>>
>>1158745
Anon might be a German in the fucking slow lane.
>>
>>1158006

I wouldn't exactly call that major service
The belt and and pump might be a little out of your league but the plugs are easy.
Pull the air box and battery and there ya go. they're a little bit of a bitch to get out but definitely doable for a complete beginner. Just watch a YouTube vid.

Brake pads are even easier, arguably easier than changing oil don't pay to have them done do it yourself save some money. Its literally like 2 bolts after you get the wheel off
>>
>>1158526
Not op but ej205 doesn't really have head gasket problems they like spinning rods

Ej25d, 251, 252, and 253 blow gaskets
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.