[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Looking for general advice - do's & do not's. I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: 4560371.jpg (34KB, 386x257px) Image search: [Google]
4560371.jpg
34KB, 386x257px
Looking for general advice - do's & do not's. I am looking to gain planning permission to build my own home. Does anybody have any advice/previous experience?
>>
Bumping for interest. Where you based OP?
>>
>>1157105
East of England. Inherited some land and have been thinking about this for a while. Would be a beautiful setting once complete and I estimate the value of the house will far exceed the cost once complete.
>>
>>1157100
fuck it, it's better to beg forgiveness than ask for permission

buried shipping containers all the way
>>
>>1157100
It's a huge project I just did it with renovation only and it ruined my life
>>
>>1157177
>better to beg forgiveness than ask for permission

I don't know what it is like in England, but in the US they can and will make you tear the structure down.

So in a case like this, where OP is likely spend most of his disposable income and free time, it might be better to get permission first.
>>
>>1157100
>planning permission to build my own home

well you will need to document the whole design i.e. do drawings for submission

>general advise
>how to planning application

not on 4chan, talk to an architect
>>
>>1157100
Speak to your local planning department and ask them about any restrictions or requirements they might have I.e. if your land is Green Belt, you're probably fucked from the start, or they might have conservation requirements.

Once you've done that, hire an architect and tell him about any requirements the planning department gave you, and your requirements, and he'll draw up the plans. Most architects will also offer to handle the planning application submission on your behalf, for an additional fee.

If you've got the money and aren't trying to build on a Site of Special Scientific Interest in the Green Belt in a conservation area, it's not really that complicated.
>>
>First thing, what kind of land is it and whats on it?
If its agricultural land you'll need to make an application to change the land use type so you can build a house on it. Not sure how easy this is to do. If its in a national park or greenbelt then its not very likely that they'll grant permission.

If theres a house already there then you'll need to check if its listed. If it is then you won't be able to tear it down. Most you'll be able to do is make some modifications and maybe extensions. Don't just knock it down anyway and hope no one notices, its criminal offense to make changes to listed buildings without consent and you could end up in prison.

Once you've figured out if you can build on it it not then you can start looking at what you are able to build. This all depends on a variety of things like what else is around it and if its in conservation area. Your local authority will be the place to find this.

They also usually have a residential design guide. This will go into details of things like roof heights in relation to other buildings nearby (if there are any), scale of extension, ect,. Very useful.

You might be able to expand on the original footprint of the building and add a loft extension through permitted development rights. This does depend somewhat on whether the original property has been altered or not.

When your designing make sure you look at all the relevant building control documents, especially things like part K and M. While you don't have to go into detail of the construction in planning drawings, they will reject it for things deathtrap stairs and tiny corridors.
>>
>>1157462
You'll need a survey done of the original property and to buy an OS extract showing its location. You will also need
>existing plans, elevations and maybe section
>proposed plans, elevations and maybe section and maybe a 3d view /perspective drawing of some kind.
> a design and access statement
>possibly a bunch of other bullshit like bat surveys, tree surveys and flood risk stuff.

Once you've got all your stuff ready you can submit it. Make an account on the planning portal, anyone can register. Fill out all the forms and upload your documents ( you don't have to print anything out, all digital nowadays). Once your sure its all good, you can submit and pay, usually via credit card or phone. Rarely cheques nowadays. Wait for about 8 weeks and you'll get a response.

The UK's planning system is an opaque, bureaucratic mess. You can submit your own application, but if you don't know what you are doing it can be a long ,risky and expensive series of rejections. Like the other anons I'd seriously advise hiring an architect to do it. Find a local one with a good reputation and track record and go for it.

>source, work for an architect
>>
>>1157177
>>1157351
Was a recent case about a house that was build about 8 years ago which had to be tore down.

>>1157214
I understand the financial stress, but if you could give me an insight into the project management aspect it would be appreciated.

>>1157352
I understand the process of how building a house works and have read a couple of books on the subject, but this doesn't equate to real life experiences. An architect can charge up to 10% of the total build cost.

>>1157363
>>1157462
It is currently used as agricultural, but is within roughly 250 metres of a small village and as such I think I may be able to get away with it.

There is currently no house on the land, but I have a rough idea what style of house I want and I feel that this would be in keeping with the local settlement.
>>
>>1157100
Just hire a fucking general contractor.
>>
>>1158131
Don't end up like this guy http://www.jeromelisuzzo.com/?page_id=459
>>
>>1158085
>is within roughly 250 metres of a small village
>I feel that this would be in keeping with the local settlement

If the land is agricultural, even if it's not Green Belt, it's not as simple as that. Like the other anon said, first of all you'll have to obtain a change of use for the land, and that can be complex and expensive depending on your local authority.

If it's Green Belt, forget it. Just give up now.
>>
>>1158351
No building code or zoning in most of Texas!
>>
>>1158085
There are ways to get around it being agriciltural land. If you can prove that you will be using the land for agricultural purposes you may be able to build a farmhouse on it. Hard to say though.

Look at your local authorities development policy / plan. There may be something in that which will help justify a change of use.
>>
>>1158351
You don't have to hire an architect for all of it. You could just do it for the planning stage if you feel confident in submitting building control yourself. Typically an architects fees are based on a percentage of construction cost, but you could probably work on a one off fee / hours spent if you arre clear with what you want and find the right person.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.