[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

so i want to hook some LED strips to my subwoofer in my car so

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

so i want to hook some LED strips to my subwoofer in my car so they blink with the bass.
>inb4 fucking ricer fuck gtfo
I've got one 500w amp and one 500w rms subwoofer with dual voice coils at 2ohms each.
how would i go about to safely wire the LED strips to my subwoofer without anything blowing or using any microphones?
i've read about adding transistors or a voltage regulator, but didnt quite understand what to do.
Any help?
>>
>>1157032
each time your sub goes off it's because electricity is fed to the speakers

split that electricity to the LEDs and power them that way, if the power coming out is more than 14 volts you will want a DC to DC step down to 10 is even ok, since the step down from 14 to 12 is probably too close to each other
>>
File: 1491228021241.jpg (46KB, 520x605px) Image search: [Google]
1491228021241.jpg
46KB, 520x605px
>>1157032
>watts rms
kek
>>
>>1157238
What's funny about that?
>>
>>1157047
"I barely know what I'm talking about" the post.
>>
>>1157249
watts RMS are a meme, calculating/measuring the RMS value of power gives you a meaningless number
mean power is relevant
>>
>>1157032
fucking ricer fuck gtfo
>>
>>1157348
Well I've done it on about 30 cars so I guess I'm pretty new
>>
>>1157465
you know that feeding ac signal to dc to dc step down might be bad idea? Also you might burn amplifier like that if it doesnt have any kind of output protection, changing output resistance might result in clipping or distorting
>>
>>1157543
I haven't ever seen a car with AC in it
>>
>>1157553
>each time your sub goes off it's because electricity is fed to the speakers

>split that electricity to the LEDs
>with a DC to DC step down

if you cannot see what's wrong here you need to educate yourself on how speakers actually produce noise.
>>
>>1157575
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LEB-8HSxxU

100 youtube videos prove me right
>>
>>1157575
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gv98MNan4w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1LMF2JPmKw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc0w1KvgMYI

I just use a fucking regulator to protect the leds..

damn you guys are stupid
>>
>>1157032
You made me realize I need that op
Got a 1000w currently and a sub in the backseat of my bakkie. Only issue is that I don't know how good LEDS will look in a doublecab
>>
>>1157402
>RMS value of power gives you a meaningless number
How is it meaningless? I guess I'm more ignorant than I thought. Alpine stated max power in RMS for my speaker.
>mean power is relevant
Root mean square

Again, please educate me.
>>
>>1157745
I am curious as well, been waiting for the reply
>>
>>1157553
Not car, signal from amplifier is AC, if you want to feed that into step down converter you are just gonna have bad time

>>1157581
You cant use it that way, you would need to add resistor which would burn excess power, LEDs are DIODES, they block half of AC signal and work only on half of signal (search for half wave rectifiers), so instead of calling us stupid, research becouse you only make yourself look stupid, not us
>>
>>1157745
Sine waves are usually specified by thier RMS voltage value

Some amp/speaker makers used the peak voltage value to specify their power rating to give an inflated value
>peak power

I think RMS power means
>We didn't do that
>>
>>1159831
But RMS is always same for sine waves, 0,707*Peak, so if they inflate one, both will be fake (yes i know some manufacturers just put random peak power)
>>
>>1159821
>you need to add resister waa waa boo hoo
no, you can use a ampers limiter which will do the same as a resistor except it won't burn out

and yes you can do it that way, because that's how it's done in non ghetto setups. it's more expensive and it lasts longer.
>>
>>1159918
ampers limiter? you mean current limiter protection? well you would need to rectify voltage to enter current limiter, and then you could add proper current limiter, it would just add cost, instead you could just use transistor and led strip (that works on 12v), since transistor would just turn on and off 12v, no need to use current limiters or resistors (well if led strip can handle almost 15v)
>>
>>1157032
Transistor. Basically it'll be like a switch(more like a relay here). 2 pins will send electricity to the leds, the other will come the audio being sent to the sub and will trigger the leds. TIP 31 is common for this application
>>
>>1160338
Yes, but you can use most of npn transistors
>>
Fucking ricers. Everyone else on the road hates your faggy shit.
>>
>>1157402
(WHAT?)

Thats the basic fucking starting point for selecting your shit u mong.

Match brand of subs and amp rms with each other.

Shove care full of 18650 cells and alternators. Shake windows.
>>
>>1157553
My crown vic has nice cold ac.
>>
File: 1480062078196.jpg (22KB, 310x212px) Image search: [Google]
1480062078196.jpg
22KB, 310x212px
>>1157032
And the autism in this place is real...

Just soend $15 on a control box op. They are bright enough and u get a remote and a million colors.
>>
>>1157745
>>1157753
apologies for the belated reply

calculating the RMS value of voltage or current gives you a value which, if you applied the same DC value to a load, would produce the same amount of power on a purely resistive load

speaking of volts RMS and amperes RMS also makes it very easy to calculate power, because you simply multiply the two numbers and you get mean power

if you took the instantaneous power function and calculated the RMS value of that, you would get a meaningless value, because it would not represent how much energy per unit time would be produced by the system, therefore saying that a system produces a number of watts RMS is rather stupid

I think this anon is on the money with his guess, though
>>1159831
>Some amp/speaker makers used the peak voltage value to specify their power rating to give an inflated value
>I think RMS power means
>>We didn't do that
>>
>>1160726
Not honoring OP's INB4 man. The fire of the divine has truly extinguished in you this day. Woe unto thee.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.