[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

got a car, overdue for a service, been treating me like a bitch

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 2

File: coupe.jpg (16KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
coupe.jpg
16KB, 640x480px
got a car, overdue for a service, been treating me like a bitch lately.

real intermittent issue:
>sometimes hard to start, have to hold down starter for a good 30seconds
>sometimes struggles to idle, drops revs
>sometimes the accelerator will flutter as I'm driving, act as if I were to take pedal off the gas and press it down again
>once in a blue moon the check engine light will come on and stay on for an entire trip, but then will be off on the trip home.

the worst part is, it's real intermittent, so it doesn't happen every time.

I've got a new fuel filter as per a mate's recommendation, and if that doesn't fix it I'll check the sparks next. also going to run injector cleaner through it soon.

but is there anything else that could be wrong / worth looking at?

hyundai coupe 200(1?) model
>>
>>1156358
Battery, alternator, wire connections, engine, etc., it could be a million things
>>
>>1156360
;_; HOW CAN I FIX A MILLION THINGS

should I just go get it serviced, then get an obd reader and see what it says?
>>
>>1156362
check =/= fix

check wire connections first, maybe some nut got loose or something, this is stupid easy
>>
File: s-l500.jpg (19KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
s-l500.jpg
19KB, 450x450px
>>1156360
Not really, it's definitely a spark related issue, which narrows it to plugs, leads and coil packs. From the sounds, it's affecting all pots, a single cylinder going silly would not cause the power drop off OP reports.

Sounds like a dodgy coil pack that's intermittently flashing over under humid/moist conditions for mine. Check it for signs of cracking and replace it if any are seen. It's also worth checking the plug that connects to it for signs of oil or corrosion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcmWa2Bt12U [Embed] would be worth a watch for OP as well.
>>
>>1156385
I was going to suggest checking coil packs, wires going to them, etc. My guess is the CEL comes on due to a misfire.

If it was something mechanical or a compression leak it would be constant.

I saw this a dozen times on older cars with distributor ignition, where the rotor wears down and isn't making good contact. The car starts to bog down during acceleration after a couple minutes.

Only seen it once or twice with coil packs though, but I mostly gave up wrenching when i got an unrelated job.
>>
>>1156358
First off, use a scanner to check for codes. There it will either tell u exactly what it is or give you an idea.
>>
>>1156358
So, you haven't bought a $30 OBDII scanner yet? Atleast that would tell you what code it's throwing.

If it does come back as a misfire, I'm going to vote ignition problem (possibly coil pack) as well. I don't know about that particular car, but if each cylinder/every two cylinders has it's own coil you can swap them to see if the problem moves to a different cylinder. If so, you definitely need a coil pack.
>>
>Hyundai
Found the problem
>>
>>1156358
>struggles to idle
>accelerator will flutter

IDLE AIR CONTROL VALVE
D
L
E

A
I
R

C
O
N
T
R
O
L

V
A
L
V
E
>>
>>1156695
how can I check / fix that?

will a service do it?

I really have a minimal amount of time ontop of work, but then I need the car for work..

Could I take it to get a full service and expect them to check over almost everything for me?
>>
>>1156695
Was gonna say this. Probably fix all the problems. They go bad frequently enough. I've also seen the boot between the air filter housing and throttle body have a big tear in it, and I've seen this happen from a ripped breather tube in the valve cover under the big plastic engine cover
>>1156710
>how can I check / fix that? Check for obvious shit like torn breather hose/intake boot, etc. Go to auto zone or whatever have them scan it, they'll prob do it for free. If it's p0507 they'll probably just try and sell you one. Just replace it. 1 or 2 maybe 10mm bolts holding it in somewhere close to the throttle plate with a connector on it. It's most likely the iac because it's intermittent, but it's good to look cuz ya never know, you might see something and it wont cost anything just to look around.
>>
>>1156760
Dang it. Didn't mean to make the whole thing green
>>
>>1156358
Fuel pump on its way out. Hard starting was the key.
>>
>>1156362
>;_; HOW CAN I FIX A MILLION THINGS
One at a time.
>>
>>1156852
Unlikely, but possible. If he had the code it would make it clear. Too lean, you're probably right. Too rich the iac is choking the engine. Fuel pump either spins or not, and an extended crank would point to the drainback thing being fucked up. Fluttering accel + intermittent CEL is unlikely fuel pump because the lean condition would have to be fairly consistent.
>>
>>1156358
I had a problem like that and it turned out to be a failing butterfly valve on the intake side, like an automatic choke iirc
It was a tiny plastic piece with a broken spring that caused the issue
>>
It's the intake, you guys are sprouting some serious shit.

Check your butterfly valve and idle speed valve.
>>
>>1157427
>idle speed valve.
It's this. IAC. Replaced a dozen on similar Hyundais
>>
>>1156385
>>1156407
>>1156695
Nope.
>>1156852
Yep.

Coil pack will fault when hot, start issue doesn't fit.
IAC wouldn't affect it while under throttle.

Its a weak fuel pump.
Not enough pressure when starting and under heavy load.

Guaranteed.
>>
>>1158463
alright if I replace the fuel pump and it's not fixed I'm coming after you personally.
>>
>take to autozone/car parts store, have them read the check engine codes
>go from there
>There can be all sorts of problems here

Fuel pump/pressure?
>fuel pressure gauge, rent for free at auto parts store

IAC/Air?
>clean throttle body, inspect tps sensor and/or idle air control

Spark?
>coil pack
>plugs
>wires
>loose connection somewhere
>rotor/distributor/cap

Don't listen to people who are telling you to recklessly throw parts in it hoping it fixes your problem. I ran into a similar issue and it turned out to be the engine computer, the PCM, had exposed wire jumping to the other 120+ ports causing one helluva electrical nightmare. Swapped in a new one, repaired the wiring, and now my power windows roll faster than I ever remembered.

t. has '96 jeep cherokee

Take to a garage and they could at least diagnose it for you, and then you can take it home and do it yourself.
>>
>>1160464
>now my power windows roll faster

lol'd. It's amazing how one issue can affect a completely different area of a vehicle
>>
First thing you should do when you buy a used car: plugs, wires, distributor, injector cleaner/carb rebuild, new battery. If that doesn't fix it check your sensors, if those are good check your compression, of that's bad, redo the head gaskets...
>>
>>1156615
Tiburon was a joint effort with Porsche and is a pretty good car for the money
>>
>>1160530

Wrong. First thing you do is check the fluids!
>>
>>1160534
If it runs the fluids are fine. Still haven't changed the oil on my dodge. Cams started ticking the other day so I topped up
>>
>>1160536
>transmission fluid can be blacker than oil
>oil can be more sludge than fluid
>coolant can be rusty ass brown
>any of these fluids can be dangerously low

Yes, it can run. But you're still a fucking idiot for not checking them first.

>Still haven't changed the oil on my dodge
>Cams started ticking the other day so I topped up

Shit.

6/10 because I was too pissed at your first sentence to finish reading it before replying.
>>
>>1160539
I said fine not ideal. OP has a sub $2k 200k mi 4banger shitbox the engine and tranny are donezo. Poor acceleration and idle is not fine. Pull your moms underwear out of your asscrack
>>
>>1156358
Fuel pump
>>
>>1156362
>;_; HOW CAN I FIX A MILLION THINGS

routine maintenance so you dont have to
>>
>>1160534
If you just bought a used car, the fluids should have already been changed the second you got it
>>
>>1156358
Scrap it. I know this is diy and I admire you for wanting to keep working that which you already own. But seriously. Think about what you're proposing. Spending money and time on a 2000 Hyundai is futile.
>>
>>1156358
Has it been raining lately? If so clean distributor cap...dust draws moisture
>>
Had a problem exactly like this and it ended up being the cam sensor
>>
>>1156358
change the fuel filter. well make it easier to start guaranteed, if idle still plays up change plugs and leads. probably never had any of it done
>>
>>1163236
>>1162433
>>1158657
>>1158463

not the pump or filter, wasted $300 to get it all done and it died on the way home from the mechanics.

3 different ODB scanners have failed to pick it up and it seems to fail after the car's warmed up a bit. could it possibly be the onboard computer?

quick visual inspection of the spark cables and coil pack look alright. although an RACQ guy reckons a bit of white residue on the cables could suggest that they're arcing ( but they look fine so possibly not )

coil pack is my next guess but I'm thinking I'll thoroughly test it before investing in a new one.

>>1163165
>Scrap it.
seriously considering this aswel.
biz thread:
>>>/biz/1976529
>>
>>1156358
thats the worst car color ive ever seen
>>
>>1165003
it warms up on you desu senpai
>>
GUYS I HAVE A BRAINWAVE.

so all these issues I had started after I tried some e10. - didn't start, learnt my lesson, never used it again.

but I have been having intermittent issues, I would say, ever since.

now when I changed the fuel pump over, the old pump had some corrosion on the bottom of it, the mechanic pointed this out and we both shrug it off.

could it be, that there's some element of water in the tank? once the car sits for half an hour, it can start up again, maybe the water has sunk to the bottom.

should I look into this more? possibly pump out the gas and refill it with something proper? get some octane booster and "rejuvinator" ( i was told there was an additive that gets water out )

GUYS IM FEELING GOOD ABOUT THIS
>>
>>1156695
this or could be a damaged vacuum hose which would show the same symptoms.
>>
Check the throttle, the spark plugs, the distributor cap, the injectors, and the fuel pump
>>
>>1160531
>Porche
>>
>>1165439
dudeskis, sounds like water in the gas from e10. go get some fuel stabilizer, the marine version is best / dryest. stabil marine is a godsend...
>>
>>1165715
Porsche.
Are you a donger?
>>
>>1166138
The correct spelling is actually Volkswagen
>>
>>1165718

How much water could realistically be in the tank? ( i ididn't pour water in there or anything ) but I'm just wondering if I should pump it out instead

how much do those fuel stabilizers actually take out?
>>
>>1166390
Drop your fuel tank and dump the contaminated fuel
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.