[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to make a beast of a 2x72 belt grinder. I have a 4hp 36v

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: DSCN1698.jpg (76KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN1698.jpg
76KB, 1024x576px
I want to make a beast of a 2x72 belt grinder. I have a 4hp 36v DC EZ Go golf cart motor. I want to be able to power it from a 120v wall outlet and control the speed of it, but I want to do it cheap. Less than $60 if possible. I don't know how to do it expensively let alone how to do it on the cheap. Any advice? Anyone done similar?
>>
I haven't done it, but it doesn't seem too hard. You'll need a 36v DC power supply. You can get switching power supplies like that for pretty cheap at just about any online retailer. You'll need to make sure it can supply enough current for the motor. Since you don't seem to know much about it, I'd probably stick to Amazon since you won't be able to spot crappy supplies that'll burn your shop down.

Speed control is the harder part. I can't recall seeing a single belt sander with speed control, but I guess it would be cool. Before giving any real advice, we'd need to know more about the motor. Most big DC motors like that are brushed, but we would need to know its current draw. The most basic control is just altering the voltage supply to the motor, but this gets to be a pain in the ass real quick. You might be able to find a variable DC power supply that can handle the current needed, which would solve both problems at once.

As for the rest of the machine, I think our boy Mattias Wendel has done something like this. That should give you ideas for rollers and the deck and whatnot, but he probably used an AC motor.

Good luck
>>
>>1156260
For starters, it's 3kW + losses so make sure your outlet is capable of that.
>>
>>1156383
>>1156420
Your assistance is appreciated, I assume this thread will 404 before I can update though. It's a little tornado-ish outside.
>>
File: 430-10142.jpg (17KB, 460x384px) Image search: [Google]
430-10142.jpg
17KB, 460x384px
>>1156260
This is apparently not a 4hp motor. It is actually 2.5. Why is this a $500 motor, but treadmill motors that are rated at 3.5hp are only $75? I already own the golf cart motor so I wanted to find something to do with it.
>>
>>1156260
how many amps..?
>>1156420
if that's true then holy shit good luck.. for that price
>>
>>1156836
Yeah, upon further research and suggestion I am finding it to be less and less doable. I believe I'm going to purchase a treadmill motor and a stepped pulley.
>>
>>1156838
80 amps is a fuckload
the biggest DC power supplies I've ever seen were for massive LED drivers and they were 12 volts at 60amps (which is scary as hell especially since made in china) but that's only 700 watts or w/e (too lazy to do math)
I know there's 360 watt 36volt ones all over amazon, ebay, ali etc but 3000 watts is a beast
>>
>>1156841
Even if I could manage to work everything out electrically, I would have to make a custom mounting bracket (only has four 1/4 holes on the front for mounting), face plate, and drive shaft.
>>
>>1156842
yea if that tiller is really that cheap I'd go for it

the best way for you to power that shit would be 3x car batteries wired in series so they go to 33-40 volts and then charge them each individually with diodes so no feedback lel
ghetto as fuck
36 volts is cool but nothing really supports it
>>
>>1156847
not tiller I meant the treadmill

I think I read a tiller in some other thread
>>
>>1156848
I was exaggerating a bit, but they are pretty cheap and powerful. Probably even cheaper if you aren't looking for "treadmill" motors specifically. Hope I can find one on CL since then I could get the speed controller with it.
>>
>>1156260
So I was thinking and calculating. I believe you use inches there as a measurement so it's something like 50mmx1700mm (approx?). I'd make the belt wider, 50mm doesn't sound too much and on the other hand anything over 1m tends to be overkill.
It sounds like you are from lowvoltagelandia, but is there any option of running it 3~? Over here big(ish) 3~ motors are relatively cheap and plentiful bought second hand.
I happen to have a few in my garage, not in that size though.
Anyway, the building of the frame itself is going to be a bigger challenge than scrounging the motor. If you keep your eyes open you will eventually stumble across one in the time you finish the frame and have it accurate.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.