[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I transport 4x8 sheets without a pickup truck or a trailer?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: 081099000270.jpg (501KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
081099000270.jpg
501KB, 900x900px
How do I transport 4x8 sheets without a pickup truck or a trailer?

I thought about lashing a stack to my car's roof rack until I heard about an instance where a gust of wind caught someone doing the same thing and nearly made the car take flight.
>>
>>1156220
That seems unlikely in particular. It wouldn't take flight, the board would snap and become a road hazard.

The solution is to rent a truck or trailer or pay them to deliver them to you.
>>
>>1156220
cut them into 4 2x4 sheets and stick them in your backseat
>>
See if your local big box has a truck rental.

It's like ~20$ for 75 mins.
>>
>>1156220

How many?

I've had no trouble simply lashing 2-3 sheets to the top of a Ford Focus wagon. Pretty sure the gust of wind story is bullshit, unless we're talking some sort of perfect storm scenario (60MPH+ gusts, driving into the wind, boards poorly lashed, light car, etc.). As a point against it, consider that the standard beanermobile around here (which includes my own truck) has a lumber rack designed explicitly to carry 4x8 sheet stock above the roof, exactly as you would do on a roof rack.

Remember, however, that a regular roof rack isn't nearly as strong as the 2"+ steel pipe the average lumber rack is made of. I wouldn't load one up with more than a couple hundred pounds of goods, max (the capacity of the rack should be listed in your owner's manual somewhere). That's only a handful of sheets, mind.
>>
>>1156220
you don't
you have it delivered or rent the van
>>
>>1156223
I don't mean literally ofc, but I can see it severely impacting handling, especially at high speed.
>>
>>1156240
If you're transporting something weak like drywall, you're more likely to break it in half than get airborne. I transported a mattress on top of a station wagon and as soon as we started going it folded completely over on itself.

OP just rent a truck if you're too much of a pussy to own one.
>>
>>1156220
If you're not using the sheet at full size, often you can get the cuts done at the store for cheap and transport the size pieces you need.
>>
File: LittleCar.jpg (39KB, 770x518px) Image search: [Google]
LittleCar.jpg
39KB, 770x518px
>>1156229

This is the right answer.

Don't be pic related OP
>>
>>1156277
This is funny af. I work at a rock wuarry and idiot fucks will come in all of the time wanting a level pickup load of rock. Its like 5 tons and nobody will fucking listen...

If you are careful and use a few plywood sheets under it u fine. Just drive slow and stay off the main highway if u can.
>>
>>1156277
#mythbusters
>>
>>1156226
Better yet, cut into 2x2 squares and they can go in the passenger seat
>>
>hey guise how do I transport 4x8
>cut it into 2x2

JUST
>>
>>1156223
>>1156229
>>1156242
exactly.
Rent a truck or trailer, it's so much cheaper than a ticket or broken vehicle.
>>
>>1156220

Most people would ask a friend with a truck for help, or they would rent a pick up truck for a day, or get it delivered.

However, I'm sure there are a few dumbfuck drywallers who browse /diy/ that could offer a suggestion for OP.
>>
>>1156269
top kek try driving to the conditions?
as is don't drive so fucking fast?
i shouldn't be surprised that nobody knows about driving in what i assume is the land of only requiring an informal written test to drive a car and nobody knows what a gearbox or corner is.
>>
>>1156220
Rent a truck.. or better yet, have your Drywall supplier deliver them.
>>
cut in 1 foot by 4 foot strips
Become a tape and mud wizard
>>
>>1156277

that pic is fake.
>>
>>1158408
Google "lumber car", its very real
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.