[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the closest I can get to incandescent using tube

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: Homelegance.jpg (16KB, 315x315px) Image search: [Google]
Homelegance.jpg
16KB, 315x315px
What's the closest I can get to incandescent using tube lights and ballasts?

>pic unrelated
>>
>>1155055
I'm bumping for some diy bros to help me out
>>
>>1155055
Explain the question. You want to heat something so it glows? By having it absorb light?
>>
>>1155071
No I have an office that flickers and hums with that shitty blue fluorescent light. I'm trying to get the softer, yellower, effect of incandescent.
>>
>>1155078
Agrosun
>>
>>1155055
Find a high CRI and warm listed fluorescent tube in your size. There's too many sizes for meaningful advice without knowing exactly what you need.
>>
According to this:
>http://www.lightbulbsdirect.com/CTGY/ColorTemp.html
incandecents are around 2600

Personally I found 2700 too yellow (cheap CFL's from malwart)
and 5000 too blue.
I think flourescent lights have a narrow band of light where incandecent is a mixture.

A 50/50 mixture of 2700 and 5000 seems about right to me, though that isn't what that chart on the linked page shows
>>
>>1155091
>>1155088
>>1155085

I guess my question is can I use something apart from fluorescent light? Like LED or something?
>>
>>1155094
>What's the closest I can get to incandescent
>something apart from fluorescent light? Like LED
Protip: an incandescent bulb (or two) should prove near indistinguishable from that incomparable 'incandescent-effect' light you seek. Thank me later.
>>
File: four-hourse-photos.jpg (170KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
four-hourse-photos.jpg
170KB, 960x540px
>>1155098
ah, if only I considered putting lamps in my office! Thank you so much sir

Lamps are not an option. This is DIY, right? Maybe you should recommend I adjust my lifestyle to rise and set with the sun, so that artificial produced light is not necessary?
>>
>>1155101
>Lamps are not an option.
nonsense.
>>
>>1155115
since its Sunday and my thread apparently sucks so bad that I'm being given lifestyle advice, how about you assume for a moment that lamps are not an option? Let's say I had walls built within my offfice space that have no outlets. No lamps. Happy?
>>
>>1155122
incandescent fixtures come in all shapes and sizes. you could use christmas lights ffs
>>
>>1155091
This is what I do in my shop. I have 4-lamp fluorescent ballast overhead fixtures. I use two of the shitty yellow ones and two of the shitty blue ones. The mixture casts a color temperature that looks very close to natural daylight to me.
>>
>>1155122
>>1155101
Ok the reason you can't use lamps is some combination of a lack of desk space and a need to produce light that's more spread-out and highly mounted, not because you don't have outlets. Every office has outlets if you're running anything from a phone charger to a computer, which is a given in this day and age.

You could use an LED strip or two, get one of the warm/cool ones with colour control, and get it with a diffuse plastic case. They look pretty similar to tube lights but are far easier to alter the output of. But they require a wire somewhere as nothing but tube lights can run off tube light sockets. The DC power lines should be fairly thin, and if you set the whole thing up right you could have a little box on your desk with a couple of knobs to control the warm and cool light emitted, with altering both being able to turn down the net brightness.
>>
>>1155055
just get led retrofit bulbs in a warm white color tone. use google. jesus.
>>
>>1155055
>>1155094

You haven't given any sizes on your florescent bulbs, or how many are in your fixture, but I can tell you there are different "warmths" of them, some bulbs have more to choose from than others, but that's between you and Google.

Something is powering your fixture now, right? You could change that fixture, use the same wiring and everything to power the new fixture, and it could be anything you want: CFLs, LEDs, incandescents, or a different florescent if you want. So not to be a dick, but are you asking how to change your fixture now, or is it at work so you're not really allowed?
>>
>>1155122
>my offfice space that have no outlets. No lamps.
OPs Office..?
>>
Assuming its a low frequency fitting with a ballast and not an electronic controller simply short the starter out, the elements in the tube will glow incandescently.
This is the closest you can get.
Otherwise to reduce flicker switch to led. If the colour is annoying you change the colour temperature. If there is just something about it you can't put your finger on try a 3 phosphor tube, broader spectrum.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.