[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rotary tool general. So my motivation for /diy/ crafting shit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: Dremel.jpg (14KB, 525x350px) Image search: [Google]
Dremel.jpg
14KB, 525x350px
Rotary tool general.

So my motivation for /diy/ crafting shit has jumped up recently after moving to a new place and helping a friend built some book cases from scratch. I have collected a fair amount of Dremel accessories that I was fortunate enough to get for cheap, so I am much more inclined to make stuff using them. My first thought is rigging up a light-scale lathe using the Dremel workstation (which is effectively a drill press)

Basically the idea is to create a mount on the opposite end with a bearing that would allow the wood piece to spin securely. Seen some similar homemade lathes before with a small piece of threaded rod grinded down to have a pointed / forked end to hold the piece which sounds simple enough. I plan on mounting the workstation to a small sheet of plywood raised with 2 x 2 to allow clamps to hold the other end in place.

Would this plan actually work out in practice? Not sure if I relayed my idea well enough.
>>
>>1154762
I think you're going to run into some problems because you are asking the dremel to do almost the polar opposite of what it was designed to do. Rotary tools run small attachments at very high rpm with low torque. With a lathe you want large attachments, relatively low rpm, high torque. You're first failure point it going to be the collet, you may be able to solve that by putting a chuck on it but even then I think the attachment will slip. The bearing for the rotational shaft on most rotary tools is the plastic body of the tool so applying significant lateral force will wear out the body of the tool and cause irreparable damage.
Rotary tools are very light duty miniature die grinders. You would really be pushing your luck with this plan. It may work but if I were going to go through the trouble of trying to rig up a make shift lathe I would start with a different power source and chuck for sure.
>>
Thanks for the feedback. That was my main concern so I was honestly hoping someone could point out how bad an idea that could be.
>>
>>1154762
This is how I broke my first dremel. I burnt the motor out trying this.
>>
>>1154762
Wood lathe? Fuck it, get a motor and some step pulleys. There are YouTube videos on how to make your own lathe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DMOWhagLIE

If that is too much work for you at least used a corded drill or something. It is much closer to the power and the RPM that you need. As has been said, using a rotary tool for this will destroy it. Remember, their duty cycle (minutes on and minutes off, per hour) is like 15/45 or something like that.
>>
>>1154762
There is an anon here that built a wood lathe with trash. He uses a dremel and makes luers. See if you can get his attention for advice.
>>
>>1155383
I am under the mindset that tools are meant to take a decent level of abuse so I am iffy on the idea of the motor burning out relatively quickly. Seen another lathe idea using a corded drill, curious about that.
>>
>>1154762
I hear a lot of people talk about dremels being easy to fuck up, burning out, etc. but I have one that I've had for maybe 12 years and it's been through hell and runs like a champ. The only issue I have with it is the collet is rusted on cause it got left out and nothing I do will get it loose. I'm not sure if the memes about not using dremels for heavy stuff is due to new ones not being made as well or if I just got lucky but mine is now unusable until I figure out a way to replace the collet.

I used mine to grind an 18 foot sign out of sheet metal with about a hundred cutoff disks as well as for carving skateboard decks and it never missed a beat.
>>
>>1155005
>15/45

I must've got lucky then cause I have run mine for hours straight without issue.
>>
Woodworking equipment is frequently dirt cheap via Craigslist. I see and ignore it all the time when looking for metalworking stuff. Hobbyists don't wear shit out.

BTW you can run Dremel 1/8" shank bits in a RotoZip with the 1/8" collet for more horsepower.

You can also buy drill chucks to fit Dremels therefor RotoZips.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.