[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been into woodworking for a while, done some white

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: coolhobby.jpg (188KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
coolhobby.jpg
188KB, 1920x1080px
I've been into woodworking for a while, done some white bitch projects for my wife and other things. However, now I'm wanting to find a hobby, that way I can stop working so much when I'm at home and relax.

I found this picture (thread photo) of a scale model of a house, just like you would in real life.

What do I all need, and how much would it cost to start doing this? Think cheaper tools, I don't plan on using them for much else than this stuff, and if I decide to take something bigger on in a few years, I'll invest in something worth it.

Anyone have any other hobby ideas like this?
>>
from the looks of the picture you need a chisel, hammer, glue, popsicle sticks (i think), measuring tape
>>
>>1154582
Don't forget the thumbtacks
>>
>>1154568
There's place that sell scale model house framing kits, just plug that into google.

You could also just pick a scale, buy wood thats close to scale, and build from scratch.
>>
>>1154568
That's a comfy house
>>
>>1154568

Bandsaw or tablesaw to make normal wood into real thin wood, and a scroll saw for reaaal fine sawing. Used scroll saws are usually super cheap since everybody gets one and never figures out what to use it for.
>>
OP here,

Looks like I'm going to need to try to find a cheap bandsaw that will work for this, as well as a tank and bradnailer.

Any suggestions on cheap decent tools for this?

There is a small ryobi 2.5 amp bandsaw for 129$, and there is a ridgid tank/nailer set for 150$

Is that about the best I can get for cheap but not complete shit?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-6-Gal-Portable-Electric-Pancake-Compressor-and-18-Gauge-2-1-8-in-Brad-Nailer-OF60150HA-R213BNE/207212104

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-2-5-Amp-9-in-Band-Saw-in-Green-BS904G/205503634
>>
>>1154568
>I've been into woodworking for a while, done some white bitch projects for my wife and other things.

I can relate, op. I'm always having to do white bitch projects for my wife.
>>
>>1154959
Fucking white bitch projects, am I right? Last week I went into the woods to find an old dried out branch to clean up and poly before we mounted it on the wall with photos.

If she makes me do anything shabby chic I swear to Christ I'll divorce her.
>>
>>1154934

I'd look for a Craftsman bandsaw, they're often considered one of the best values for cheaper bandsaws, you wouldn't need too much power for this but you'd want something precise.

The Ryobi actually looks like it might be made by the same company as the Craftsman ones; however, so IDK, it may be the same thing!
>>
>>1155092
Awesome thanks for the feedback! I will check that out.
>>
>>1155054
>he doesmt drag tin out of the road ditch and hang it up...
>>
> Razor saw
> snap off knife and plenty of blades
> sand paper
> scale ruler
>set square and t square / try square
>fast drying wood glue

measure twice, cut once.
>>
>>1155385
You're saying you can make what's pictured, with those materials?
>>
>>1154568
those windows are tiny
>>
>>1155385
yup those are all the tools you need to get started. They might have used some machine tools to speed things up, but it doesn't look like its been laser cut because there are no burn marks.

As for the actual materials used to build, some looks like ply while the rest is small timber profiles. It looks like there is a fine wire mesh used to show glass. Balsa wood is a good material to start with, as its easy to cut and light. Start using harder once your confident.

Also wash your hands frequently, especially when your gluing. Stops getting dirty marks over things.
>>
>>1154568
Ive been thinking about making boat models this way. Id say get a tablesaw at least. Rest of the stuff is rulers an razor blades.
>>
>>1154668
>Bandsaw or tablesaw to make normal wood into real thin wood, and a scroll saw for reaaal fine sawing. Used scroll saws are usually super cheap since everybody gets one and never figures out what to use it for.

I have my grandfather's scroll saw and it took me a month to figure out how to change the blade. Now that it's fixed I've never used it.
>>
>>1156042
OP here, and holy shit, I NEVER thought about model ships. Fuck ya now I'm gonna get a bandsaw and a nail gun by the end of this month.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.