[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone Know where I could possibly get a broken computer terminal,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: adm3a.jpg (25KB, 600x500px) Image search: [Google]
adm3a.jpg
25KB, 600x500px
Anyone Know where I could possibly get a broken computer terminal, or atleast the shell/plastic housing of one? , googled it a bunch and all I get are JUST connectors and other wire related headers, I want to do a micro ATX sleeper build inside one of these, pic very related but willing to work with anything (I could make a custom keyboard for it aswell, I have a very good amount of soldering experience)
>>
My best guess would be to look around locally. Craigslist. Swapshops, flea markets.

I have been looking for one for YEARS. I want to mount a raspberry pi in it to look at BBSs with. Sadly haven't been able to find one like pic related. Even on ebay
>>
>>1154351
>http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lear-Siegler-ADM3a-vintage-monitor-last-used-with-Altair-8800-/252831031017

you def. find them in ebay, just, not especially cheap. Do an image search in ebay vintage/google w/e, find the exact model names of anything of interest, then, search those in any category, and wait, patiently. Like Buddah on The Mountain. But if its just the case you want, cant imagine its that difficult, freak prices be for complete, or as near complete as you get on 40+ year old hardware.
>>
>>1154351
>>1154354

thanks alot , I shall be sure to look and I'm glad I'm not the only one with a interest in this, good luck to you too
>>
>>1154351
Why would you put the Raspi inside it when you could use the terminal for it's intended purpose and use it as a terminal for the pi? There's no need to reinvent the wheel here, it's been done before and terminals were mainly used to display text.

https://hackaday.com/2014/02/08/raspi-powered-adm-3a-dumb-terminal/
>>
>>1154306

Fat chance, they're considered valuable antiques now and you won't be able to find one at a reasonable price. It would be cheaper to just buy a monitor and keyboard and just make a shell yourself out of fiberglass or something.
>>
File: PET2001_Large.jpg (9KB, 320x161px) Image search: [Google]
PET2001_Large.jpg
9KB, 320x161px
>>1154306
Machines like that are going to be daughter after by people into old computers. Makes them harder to come by for people wanting scraps for projects.

I'd search for a Comodore PET. Probably the most mass produced machine close to what you're looking for. Also, it's all flat peices with sharp angles, so it should be easy enough to mock up your own out of plastic, card board or construction foam.

Pic related. Not mine, but the same model as the one I have.

Also, if you DO find an old machine like this or the one you posted, don't kill it just for this project. If it's dead, sure, use the case. But if it lives, at least find a forum where people still maintain them, and offer them the boards.
>>
File: F27SDVOFVW1Z3Q0.MEDIUM.jpg (40KB, 620x412px) Image search: [Google]
F27SDVOFVW1Z3Q0.MEDIUM.jpg
40KB, 620x412px
Please don't do this OP, some of these terminals like the ADM-3a you pictured are getting hard to find, and people put a lot of time and effort into getting them running (CRT cataracts are a bitch)

Maybe go with something like this instead?
http://www.instructables.com/id/70s-Terminal-PC/
It looks the part (especially if you find a mechanical keyboard like a Model M or F), and is more /diy/ than transplanting.
>>
>>1154611
thanks I'll look into these more

>>1154626
oh no if I found a working one I wouldn't dare kill it for a project, and if it was broken I wouldn't trash the boards either, I always try to fix or repurpose things the best I can, if I couldn't fix it I very well would give it to someone who could,
>>
>>1154626
sorry to reply twice, that project in your picture looks very promising aswell, found the link and I may do this or something similar, just a bit more rounded
>>
File: cover.jpg (181KB, 700x938px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
181KB, 700x938px
>>1154641

I can't find the link, but I remember someone doing a similar project where they carved a styrofoam block into the desired shape and vacuum formed over it. Turned out pretty well, they even got the monitor bezel right.

The end result looked a lot like the PET prototype, but iirc that was wood?
>>
>>1154351
Man. I found a commadore PET in a junk yard and tossed it when i moved like an idiot. Never will i find another...
>>
>>1155412
Dude? You missed out man. I've got mine in almost perfect working order. Just need to clean out the keyboard. Which is honestly a bit scary.
>>
>>1154400
I would put the raspi in it if the components didn't work.
>>
>>1154400
I literally wanted to make the exact samething from that article.
Did ya even read it? he's using a raspberry pi to run it. its not running as a terminal would have in the past.
>>
https://youtu.be/mMUs8aUst7g?t=94

make one using foam resin plastic and fiberglass.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.