[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Helo /diy/, I could use some help. The playground at our local

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 10

File: gravelfence.jpg (301KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
gravelfence.jpg
301KB, 960x1280px
Helo /diy/,

I could use some help. The playground at our local church is on a hill. It has pea gravel and is enclosed by a chain link fence. This means that pea gravel frequently washes out into the yard.

For my Eagle Project, I would like to do something to fix this problem. It cannot be a temporary solution, like the mesh or fabric normally used on construction sites. It can also not be dangerous to the children in the playground, and must be somewhat easy to maintain.

I think having decking boards along the bottom of the fence would probably be easiest, but I don't know how well they would stand up to the elements. i assume they wouldn't warp too much, with them being treated. In the fall, I did a test and mounted a decking board against the chain link fence in my back yard using those cheap green u posts you get at lowes as the posts to mount it against, and it's held up very well. My main question is what would be the best type of posts to use. Keep in mind that I live in a VERY rocky area, so digging large holes along the length of fence that would be required is unfeasible. Because of this, 4x4s aren't really practical. Those cheap u-posts are nice and all, but they just aren't as long lasting as it needs to be. I just don't quite know what to do.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

pic related, it's not a pic of the area where I'm having the problem, but it's very similar. The playground that I'm talking about is on a much more gentle slope though.
>>
>>1153621
Build a retaining wall with cinderblocks or scrap concrete.
>>
>>1153623
it's not a small playground, it's about 300ft of fencing that I'll have to put the barrier. I mean it's probably doable, but I don't think that's the most attractive or practical option.
>>
>>1153621
Have a truckload of rock moved in. Stack up a retaining wall by hand. It will suck. But it will work. I built one 3 years ago and can get picks in a few hours when its daylight if u want. Or try railroad ties and hammer rebar in them.
>>
>>1153621
cement fabric was literally made for this.

but you dont understand the actual problem. sure you could reinforce the edging. but you need to lay tile so that the water can drain. what is happenning is that the water is piling up until it eventually creates a dam. then the levy breaks and the sudden wash of water entrains the gravel. there's probably tile already under there but its been covered up. also who the fuck lays gravel in a playground? in australia we have a special grade of pine bark although its getting replaced by this rubber tarmac kind of stuff.

for your eagle scout project you need to come up with a good solution, not just think you can chuck some rocks or boards there.
>>
File: IM_A0017.jpg (177KB, 800x532px) Image search: [Google]
IM_A0017.jpg
177KB, 800x532px
>>1153621
this is a bad example. it should be 400-600mm underground. perforated ag pipe
>>
File: Bad-drainage.jpg (2MB, 1936x2592px) Image search: [Google]
Bad-drainage.jpg
2MB, 1936x2592px
>>1153639
proper drainage basically stops this.
>>
>>1153639
there are engineered surface tiles with integrated drainage channels as well. you would need to have the area shut down, cleared of gravel, then graded before laying it.

now for an eagle scout tier project, you would need to find the solution you want, engage the local parks service, do fundraising to pay for the grading and materials and concrete pour for the edges then organize a community volunteer event where you all lay the surface tiles.

this is what they mean by community engagement. its a little more effort than I think you realise. which is why it's so highly coveted.
>>
Op

You need to be there when it's raining to see what is happening before you start work.

The fact that all the gravel is piled up and overflowing in one corner leads me to believe that it is not a drainage issue but a flow issue, ie. There is a river going through the playground.

Note that the buildup/high point and overflow is both in one corner. If it was a drainage issue, the overflow would happen on the low points.
>>
>>1153686
This is the exact issue. How would you recommend fixing it?

>>1153639
That's not the problem that I'm having. The problem is like >>1153686 describes.

>>1153637
Compared to many of the eagle projects I see people doing nowadays, this is ambitious. I'm asking for help because I need a practical, effective solution. You did not describe my problem at all. The water is draining just fine, it's just that when the water flows downhill, it carries a few pieces of pea gravel with it, and over time it gets in the yard and it's a big pain in the ass. My goal is to keep the gravel from washing out into the yard, not stop it all together. That way, it piles against whatever retaining wall rather than out into the yard where it's really difficult to rake back in.

>>1153639
Again, drainage is not the problem. It's a runoff problem if I were to have to describe it.

>>1153643
This would not really be feasible, given the circumstances. Also, I would like to say that it's a miracle that I'm even doing this on my own without my dad's help. I've seen so many boys get their eagle with their dads doing all the work, and I don't want to be one of those people. Additionally, I've seen plenty of boys do stuff a lot easier than this. I mean, I get what you're saying, but honestly I think I'm doing a lot more than what is typical for my area.

.>>1153630
This is probably what I'll do. Do you think that it will have a lot of longevity? Also, where should I get railroad ties, the only ones that I've ever gotten just kind of fell into our lap when a neighbor moved.

Sorry if I wasn't very clear in describing
my issue. Thank you for your help, and sorry if I'm being a little defensive, it's just a little frustrating when I'm trying my best to do a legitimate project completely on my own, while many people just get their parents to do it for them.
>>
Surround the area in landscape timbers and lag the suckers together.
>>
>>1153765
apparently you can get railroad ties at my local lowes
>>
>>1153767
maybe build a short retaining wall using landscape timbers and rebar?
>>
>>1153621
Plant grapes, it will help retain the runoff and after the first year you can make sacrament wine.
>>
>>1153765

You need to look uphill at the source.

A truck load of rocks may only shoot the flow elsewhere taking the gravel with it.

Best start from the top.

t. Project Manage in a tropical mountainous environment

I may not be a certified drainage expert but I deal with these problems often enough.

Sometimes they have heavy equipment works on the way, on site, to rectify the problem and I just walk up the hill and indicate that there is a 6x4 foot gutter overflowing and it just needs a stone removing. It's often easy to get stuck thinking that the problem is RIGHT HERE ON THIS POINT when it may not be.
>>
>>1153775
Hmm I didn't even think about that. I'll take a look when I go up there to take measurements again
>>
>>1153776

Take more pictures as well. Even if not for us, just for your own review.

Look for signs of fast flowing water and follow it. If you want more help you can ms.paint a diagram if you don't want to give away your location.
>>
to me with all the footprints it looks like the kids are just kicking the gravel out of the fence
>>
>>1153789
>>1153786

Sorry but that's not a picture of my particular area, I just found it online. Mine looks almost identical. I will take a lot more pictures before presenting my proposal, but right now I'm just chilling out at home.
>>
>>1153791
I'm making an ms paint diagram rn
>>
>>1153786
here's a diagram of the situation. there is a bit of a creek running through the playground, but I don't really know how to fix it, other than filling it in with large gravel, which would be unsafe for the children. I think we'll probably just take the pea gravel that we rake up from the yard and use that to fill it in.
>>
File: eproject.png (29KB, 1536x648px) Image search: [Google]
eproject.png
29KB, 1536x648px
>>1153799
forgot to attach file
>>
>>1153800
bumping
>>
>>1153800
I'm looking into it op. Where is the general location that you'll be doing this. I want to get an idea of what kind of weather we're going to be dealing with here.
>>
>>1153819
it's in the Ozarks in mid Missouri, so it's not really that extreme of weather generally. A little bit of freezing in winter time, some rain storms, but it's generally pretty middle of the road.
>>
>>1153800

>>1153800

Try to figure out why the stream parts there. If you can't keep the flow in the stream, instead of trying to contain the gravel and water in the grounds with so many walls (and potentially ending up with a swimming pool), you can use one wall/gutter to deflect the overflow before it gets to the grounds. Be mindful of where you direct this water or neighbors can get pissed.

Ideally you'd want to keep the water in the stream because walls can be undermined with water flow.

Maybe a couple gabion baskets where the stream is breaking?
>>
>>1153828

Or the EASIEST would be to just dig a trench to carry the water away. Church maintenance men can just clean it out once a year before the rainy season
>>
File: DamNewLand.jpg (54KB, 521x297px) Image search: [Google]
DamNewLand.jpg
54KB, 521x297px
>>1153820 The freezing is actually the hardest part. It'll kill the longevity of anything you put in. You have decent weather but it's no west coast. You need to keep this in mind.

I agree with >>1153820 Can you go into detail about the stream / get some picks of the area? Is it marshy all year? It would suck to go through all this work when diverting a small trickle could be the best option.
>>
>>1153830
>>1153832
let me draw some things on that diagram really quick
>>
File: eproject.png (76KB, 1536x648px) Image search: [Google]
eproject.png
76KB, 1536x648px
>>1153834
>>1153832
>>1153830
>>
>>1153839
I'm gonna go and take some measurements and pictures. I'll be back in a little while.
>>
File: eproject222.png (16KB, 1913x648px) Image search: [Google]
eproject222.png
16KB, 1913x648px
>>1153844
Okay op here again, I found out a lot of useful info.
First off, here is the updated diagram.
>>
File: 0331171551h~2.jpg (2MB, 2124x1869px) Image search: [Google]
0331171551h~2.jpg
2MB, 2124x1869px
>>1153877
I think this is the best picture that shows the problem
>>
>>1153885
so what I think is happening is that the ag pipe is just not doing the job, or maybe it's the shape of the hill that runs along the perimeter. I don't really know though. Apparently they filled in the trench that was running through the playground, but you can still see that water flows through along that path and it'll eventually form again. They fixed one of the effects, not the problem
>>
>>1153888
whoo trips

also, it doesn't fork off from another drainage ditch like I thought. I'll draw another diagram
>>
File: eproject232.png (37KB, 1913x648px) Image search: [Google]
eproject232.png
37KB, 1913x648px
>>1153889
here is a diagram showing what I believe to be the way the water flows though the playground. I just think that the ag pipe isn't doing its job. Most obvious thing to do is to put ag pipe where I put the yellow arrows on the two uphill sides
>>
>>1153894
I don't really quite know what to do. If you guys need any pics of a particular area, then ask. I took a bunch, but I can't really dump them because they are all too high of a resolution to post without editing.
>>
>>1153896
bumping
>>
>>1153910
rebamp
>>
>>1153765
>railroad ties
>longevity
yea if you consider your life span long
>>
>>1153926
well I've definitely had railroad ties crack and split before. Takes a long time but still
>>
>>1153927
yea they do, but they're still good for many years after that
>>
Tell the church to fix it.
>>
Gabion basket retaining wall cheap drains great and will last longer the nearly anything else out there
>>
>>1153621
https://www.pinterest.com/explore/steel-landscape-edging/

https://www.gardenista.com/posts/hardscaping-101-metal-landscape-edging-pros-and-cons/

this stuff is wonderful. many uses.
>>
>>1153765
Its all good buddy. Railroad ties will last a long time. Only places i know of to get them besides laying along tracks would be some sort of home improvement store. I just stacked rocks up about waste high around my truck scales. 3 years later they havent moved an inch.
>>
SILT FENCE
>>
Would 6 inches of hardware cloth around the lower edge of the fencing fix the issue? Just wired onto the existing chain link fence..

(Would have to have holes smaller than the average piece of pea gravel... but not really all... because eventually a piece would catch in the hole and stop any smaller gravel.. so it might leak some gravel at first but then bind up but still let water through.)
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.