[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello, /n/ here. Why are steel bicycles so much more real to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_4195.jpg (2MB, 1993x1597px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4195.jpg
2MB, 1993x1597px
Hello, /n/ here.

Why are steel bicycles so much more real to other bikes made of inferior materials including but not limited to carbon, aluminium, titanium, etc?

Is it because of the quality of the ride, or is it the everlasting durability, or timeless aesthetic beauty of steel?
>>
>>1153303
This sounds like some lame stock troll.
Shouldn't you be posting this trash on /n/?
>>
File: IMG_0403.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0403.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1153303
>riding a tank
>>
>>1153339
What disgusting metal is that made from?
>>
>>1153303
Wait
Panasonic makes bikes?
>>
>>1154002
aluminium
>>
File: DSC05653.jpg (2MB, 2816x2112px) Image search: [Google]
DSC05653.jpg
2MB, 2816x2112px
>>1153303
Because builder who work with steel come at it from an artistic view point.

Case in point, the writer of the book

I own Brodie Rodie #2742 made with fillet brazed 853 Reynolds OS on the main tubes and True Temper on the remainder
>>
>>1153303
Don't forget bamboo and wood.

>>1154016
Yep. Haven't seen one in years.
>>
>>1154387
Bamboo is for fucking idiot hipsters faggots with more money than brains.
>>
>>1154399
Bamboo was used as well during ww2 due to steel shortage you ignorant fuck. If you're going to shitpost step up your game.
>>
>>1153339
>vertical dropouts/singlespeed/chain tensioner
>quill stem
>granny pedals
>torn up saddle
>no rear brakes
>brake levers mounted on flats

not even worth stealing/10
>>
>>1153339
>Implying a proper stainless steel frame cant be just as heavy and actually be ridable without making you infertile within hours..
Carbon fiber or steel. Everything else is garbage.
>>
>>1154628
>used during a shortage of steel
>shortage of steel
>steel
>>
>>1154722
>rear brakes serving a purpose outside of high speed descents
>>
>>1154815
Chitanium and Chibon Fibre are coming from the far east if it comes from "same factory as big names" is shitty without any reliability.

>>1154628
It wasn't due to a steel shortage, it was because tubing makers were making other things

You could get a steel bike in the UK if you needed a bike. Source: Moms best friend was grew up there during WW2 and got one so she wouldn't need to buy gasoline
>>
>>1154815
Steel or titanium can both be fixed, aluminum no, carbon fiber yes but expensive.

I want another bike and am considering paying DeKerf to make me a touring titanium with S & S Couplers
>>
>>1153303
I once had a bike with a steel frame. It was rusty as fuck and someone stole it out of my back yard.
>>
>>1153303
Steel: durable, cheap, easy to repair. Stiffer and stronger than Al, allows for skinnier tubes. Heavy, and it will rust quickly if bare metal is exposed. Good at vibration dampening.
Aluminum: Lightweight, more expensive than steel but not ridiculously so. Weaker and less stiff ride; necessitates fatter tubes. Frame repairs can be costly. Will not corrode.
Titanium: Prima-dona of framing metals: Lightweight, very expensive to manufacture and repair. Strong, but less stiff than steel. Doesn't corrode.
Carbon Fiber: Very stiff and very strong, good ride characteristics and very low weight. Tendency of sudden brittle failure. Expensive to manufacture and repair. Doesn't corrode, but requires UV protection.
>>
>>1154876
>titanium can be fixed
>aluminum can't
fullretard.avi

If you've got the gear to fix titanium, you can absolutely fix aluminum.
>>
>>1153339
>fixed gear

End yourself
>>
>>1155198
>fixie =/= single speed
Single speeds aren't that bad, they cut down on a lot of maintenance, and make your legs swole
Fixies are full retard hipster speshull snowflake bullshit, though.
>>
>>1155198
My father still rides one he bought in 1949.
>>
>>1155168
not true. you can dc tig titanium, but not aluminium.
>>
>>1154376
>brazed steel
AHAHAHAHA
you do know steel is one of the easiest and cheapest metals to weld?
dude if you just buy any frame from any decent manufacturer they come with a lifetime warranty. the only time you should be buying steel is for downhill.

>>1154876
7000 series aluminium can be welded without needing to heat treat the whole frame. there are different alloys you retard who is selling you these memes?

I cant imagine a steel frame existing that's worth truing once it gets bent out of shape. this whole thread reeks of bus riders. if you've ever ridden a bike over 1000km, you know what im talking about when you start to lose power as everything gradually bends out of allignment.
>>
>>1155198
>>1155222
they make sense if you live in a boring place like the netherlands lowlands or florida or new york where the entire place is completely flat with absolutely no elevations.
>>
>>1154845
>Can he drive?
Can he drive??
You know what DK stands for?
>Donkey Kong?
Drift King.
>Drift?
>What do you mean drift?

And that's how I wore down my rear tire!
>>
>>1153303
Because of the extra mass makes it feel solid and durable. Nothing else really since all other materials can be the same shape and style.
>>
>>1155234

You can AC TIG aluminum. It's not tricky at all.

You can DC TIG aluminum in some high heat applications. It looks shitty, but it's possible.
>>
>>1153303

Why ask this question in relation to bicycles that are comparatively under stress at all? Top of the line downhill bikes are made from carbon nowadays and Al is the cheap (and weaker) option. There is no need for a bike to weigh and rust like a steel one. Unless the owner is helplessly autistic.
>>
>>1154877
It was OP
>>
>>1155642
The whole argument they're pushing is about vibrations and giving yourself a vasectomy because Al and CFRP have bad characteristics in that respect. IF you've got no suspension. But any bike should have front suspension unless weight matters that much, in which case your bike should be made of carbon anyway. And any bike you take off-road should have rear suspension too, unless you're a cheap fuck. Getting a steel-frame bike for pottering about town in is for casuals or people who live in a bad neighbourhood. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but if you're serious about your bike you buy a serious bike.
>>
>>1153339
thats a big gear ratio
looks extremely painful
>>
>>1156167
for you
>>
>>1153303
>timeless aesthetic beauty of steel?

the 1950's are not timeless
>>
File: 36.jpg (201KB, 1393x800px) Image search: [Google]
36.jpg
201KB, 1393x800px
>>1154399
>for fucking idiot hipsters faggots with more money than brains
this is what steel bikes are now for, too, aside from poorfag BSOs
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.