[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to build an aquarium that will fit on my windowsill, but

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: resize.jpg (662KB, 1030x772px) Image search: [Google]
resize.jpg
662KB, 1030x772px
I want to build an aquarium that will fit on my windowsill, but something sizeable enough to be useful. The maximum depth of the tank (front to back) would be 3¾ inches, and the length can be up to 16 inches.

How tall would be too tall if I gave it the max footprint of 3¾" x 16"? If I make it 10 inches tall it'll hold about 2.5 gallons, which is a good size for small inverts, but that seems a bit unstable on a tank less than 4 inches deep.
>>
>>1152592
wtf are you doing with that tank in direct sunlight?
that's not where you place a tank.
shrimp generally don't like high temperatures, so put them the fuck away from there and get some proper lighting and god dammit a filter and some flow.
those shrimp will be dead in a few days if you don't
>>
If you want to be semi successful get cray fish and some cover for them.
>>
Must be nice having cherry shrimp that live, my little guys keep dying.
>>
>>1152642
The windowsill in question gets very indirect sunlight. The op pic isn't my tank, it's from a forum. I currently have two shrimp, a snail, and several plants in a $5 half gallon tank on the same windowsill and they've all been completely fine for over four months now.
A filter isn't out of the question after I upgrade the tank and there's room for it.

>>1152653
Maybe a dwarf cray after a while if the shrimp continue doing well in the larger tank.

>>1152660
I literally don't do anything special for mine. I think it's just down to luck.

Does anyone have input on how tall the tank should be? Is 16W x 3¾D x 10H unreasonable?
>>
with those dimensions, you should look at like table top centerpiece things

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80150217/
that way you get a nice rimless look, and a heavy base
but putting it in a windowsill invites unstable conditions , since you dont have any fish its not to big a deal if you can keep stable enough temp for the shrimp but algae blooms are real

post pic of setup
>>
>>1152984
I'd rather make one myself for a couple of reasons, including that I already have the glass and the tools.
I didn't think about the weighted bottom. I'm going to be using cat litter and sand as the substrate, so if I put a bit more than usual (~2") it would be more stable, right?
I mentioned previously that I'm going to use this to upgrade an existing setup that's been working very nicely for several months now, so I don't think I should have too much trouble with it.
If I somehow fail horribly at building a tank, that vase will make a good backup plan.

It'll probably be a while before I finish anything since my schedule is usually pretty full, but if this thread is still up when I finally get around to trying to make the tank, I'll post some pics.
>>
>>1152592
Fish never turn around. I wonder why.
>>
>>1152592
That'd be >20 lbs filled, shouldn't be terribly unstable. Maybe use some poster putty underneath and around the edges to "stick" it to the sill better. I'd imagine you could grow a shit ton of java moss in a tank like that for shrimp, could probably fit a sponge filter in there too.
If you could modify the windowsill, you could always screw on a little 3/4" plywood topper to it to make it deeper.
>>
>>1153422

oh yeah, if you start getting too much algae, just add in some pothos vine, peace lily, or some other hydroponic plant that sticks out of the tank, it'll help suck up excess nutrients so the algae can't bloom.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.