[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How hard is it to make your own desk? I've never build anything

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 15

File: 1488842823996.png (3MB, 1186x1491px) Image search: [Google]
1488842823996.png
3MB, 1186x1491px
How hard is it to make your own desk? I've never build anything besides 7th grade Workshop projects. I have no tools besides a hammer, knife, etc. I have no attachment to wood & economics is the main concern.
>>
>>1151833
depends on how complicated you want it to be

if you have a hand saw, a drill, and basic measuring tools, you can make a lot of stuff

you could use 4x4s for legs, make a frame to attach the legs and the top out of 1x4s, then use prefinished melamine/mdf for the top
>>
>>1151833
A desk could be anything from a piece of plywood on some cinderblocks to a modular hardwood setup. Post a pic of the kind of thing you're looking for instead of the wench and we'll help you figure out how hard it will be.
>>
>>1151833
>buy door from used builder's supply
>use plumbing pipe for legs is you don't want to mess with wood
>use wood if you feel like messing with wood

Total tools needed: screwdriver and screws. Drill if you want to get fancy.
>>
oh yeah, and check Craigslist

people give that kind of stuff away all the time
>>
>>1151833
Buy the most basic door from your local hd. Can't be more than 50 bucks. Even the hole for the knob works to get your cables through. Get creative with the legs, that's the easy part.
>>
>>1151883
They will cut wood, pvc, and steel pipe to specific sizes. They with even thread the steel for you.
>>
>>1151833
Depends on what you want in a desk.

I know someone that just gets a sturdy board, coats it in rubber spray, and bolts it into the studs in the wall so it doesn't even need legs.

Alternatively a few boards done in a cube shape isn't terrible difficult.

But it really depends on what you are after since a small glass desk can be like 50 bucks and you just have to screw it together, so unless you need something special or just want to then DIY may be more work then you are after. Generally desk is easy though its just a plank on some legs.
>>
>>1151897
I used galvanized pipe for a workbench/pingpong table and found it to be a bit pricey. Came to just shy of $100 for the pipe alone, and I got a deal on the cuts.
>>
another good idea would be to look for some wood crates, or you can make them

done right, they're pretty darn strong and can be made cheaply

then just put a few boards across them
>>
i plan to build a desk soon. im basically thinking more a dining table type deal in terms of size (bout 1.8 x 1.2 m) but with the table top how can i make it an absolute surface with it still looking good? by that i mean i dont want any oils to be transferable because i hate the natural seepage normal wood or even finished woods give. resin? how would i go about it? i want to choose a light wood like birch or white oak but i dont want it to yellow
>>
File: IMG_3.jpg (153KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3.jpg
153KB, 600x800px
Just posted another picture in a different thread.

Really easy to build a workbench. A desk should be stupid easy to make.

Pic related
>>
File: IMG_4.jpg (132KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4.jpg
132KB, 600x800px
Second picture

Part 2: Upright picture
>>
>>1151833
Find some cardboard in a dumpster.
Fold some of the cardboard into two large rectangular boxes.
Take another rectangular piece and lay it on top of the two rectangular boxes.
Stab the knife through one end to secure one box to one side of the cardboard table top.
Do the same thing on the other side but with the hammer.

You now have a table.
>>
>>1151857
This.

I bought a $220 nail gun 2 days ago. Still gonna use a drill and deck screws for my battlestation. Not sure yet.

100% osb and 2x4 desk and shelves tho. Firmica the tops
>>
File: 20170223_185540.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170223_185540.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
I made this with only hand tools aside from the fuck huge mortise and tenons on the breadboards, and the only hardware is holding the top to the frame. If you have the time, you can make some pretty nice stuff with nothing special as far as tools.
>>
Don't build hipster/trendy/pinterest style of desk like as seen in
>>1151861
>>1151977

Build a real fuckin desk. If you can, Go on craigslist under the free section. You can find besk bigger and better then some of the shit people build and try to sell to middle age women.
>>
>>1151833
Lost. Sauce?
>>
>>1152197
>hipster/trendy/pinterest style of desk
op wouldn't be making it because of trends, but because it's cheap and it works

now using some pastel milk paint, then ruining the surface the sandpaper would qualify
>>
File: tebt3r__1.jpg (226KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
tebt3r__1.jpg
226KB, 800x533px
Nicked 8 of these from some local shops. Stacked 4 up at each end and lay a piece of wood on top. Instant sturdy desk. Also very portable and you can use the space between the crates for storage. Best desk I've ever had.
>>
>>1152078
>>1152079

Yep, that'll do the trick. Some kind of saw, a drill, and some kind of square is all you need to make that.

I think beginner hobby woodworkers get a little too caught up on joinery techniques without putting much thought in to design. This bench, despite being all butt joint from the looks of it, will be solid because of the support system in place in critical areas. Of course you can make the same thing more efficiently with a lot less wood and overall weight, but that's where good joinery technique comes in.
>>
>>1151833

Have you heard of Google bruh?

How bout "How to build a desk" into the google botnet.
>>
>>1151833
>7th grade Workshop project

What kind of third world country do you live in that they still teach trades in school, and is it possible for me to move there before my kids get in school?

In my civilized country the got rid of agriculture, wood/metal shop, home economics, and the nursing program in favor of band, choir, music appreciation, and art appreciation. I would love to see my kids learning something useful in school.
>>
>>1152288

No shop class? What the hell is happening to world... Looking back on all my education, I put junior high shop class in the top five most useful courses I took all through public school AND university.
>>
>>1151833
Gonna suck and be slow. If u got a hand saw u can throw 2x4 and osb together. I have over $3,000 in shelves and need more.

As a hoarder...
>>
>>1152288
Mfw woodshop was my favorite class ever in 8th grade. Teacher to this day is a faggot edgelord. Classmates mostly faggot autists...

Was interesting tho. I built a bandoass box out of walnut.

Watched a genious who runs a local multimillion dollar business build an rc plane that could orobably carry a person.

Also sometimes helped a now Blue Angle build the nicest pool table i will ever see.

Fuck man. Over the course of 5 years they killed art, woodshop, metal shop, small engine repair class, and anything else worth a fuck.

At 31 to this day i dont use most of the fagotry they forced down our throats.

Just gonna have to pony up and teach your kids how to be a proper person anon.

Never met one person to build a woodshop and say it was a waste of money.

Hell, i fucked around and got a lows card back in the day i cant cancel yet because of credit building.

I might just charge a newb teir woodworking maching every few months...
>>
>>1152299
Wood shop. (Built shelves yesterday.) Small engine repair class. (Have the head almost off of a honda 4 wheeler) pretty sure its a stuck valve.

It was free.

Gonna get some krylon and a rebuild kit and make some cash.

Have yet to need calculous or know the date of the end ow WWII
>>
2 Small file cabinets and a door on sale at Lowe's and you have a desk.
>>
>>1152405

Yep. Classic student desk back in my day -- I had one for about 10 years.

P.S. used 2-drawer file cabinets cheap almost everywhere, used hollow-core door (with no fake panels) available at various recycle centers for almost free.
>>
>>1152288
wtf. come to australia, woodwork is basically core at low grades. other things include what you listed and theres a fair few art schools around to (i did a cert 4 in music during hs)
>>
>>1151864
I did this. Took about 30 min. Most best desk I've ever owned. Make sure you get a solid door, not a hollow interior door.
>>
>>1152267
>bread racks
>sturdy
whatever you say anon
>>
>>1152288
our shop class was a dumping ground for the losers they didn't know what to do with

the teacher was constantly dealing with morons doing stupid things, while still trying to teach the few kids who actually cared

it's a miracle only one kid cut part of themselves off
>>
>>1152447
>Most best
This is Trump's America
>>
>>1151833
Funny I was just entertaining the idea of building a simplistic desk and partially mounting to the wall like a workstation.
>>
>>1152447
>most best
anyway thats because its simplistic, complexity always adds points of failure.

>>1152459
i remember in my woodwork class some dickhead put a curved piece of wood through a mitre saw without holding it, flung it across the room and threw a shit load of splinters

>>1152463
dont wall mount, its never good, especially aesthetically
>>
wew. thanks for the advice guys. i need to actually plan something now.,

i like this
>>1151977
looks sexy and ez.
>>
>>1151994
Bar top epoxy if you want to spend money, polyurethane if you don't.
>>
>>1153103
bartop looks nice but i cant tell much difference from pics
>>
File: 20170326_145503.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170326_145503.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
I made this for about $60 ,bought a door from home depot and cut it down to size and the legs on amazom. Its pretty flimsy and the legs are shit but its big and smooth after sanded it and waxed it.
>>
>>1153128
Here is a good starting desk to build. Its cheap and easy to do. You can make it less flimsy/stronger by spending a little more on it to get extra stuff that is needed.
>>
>>1153234

No it's retarded. How hard is it to screw a door to a sawhorse? Shouldn't be flimsy at all.
>>
>>1153236
probs an interior door so hollow core
>>
>>1153236
Almost all cheap interior doors are hollow as >>1153248 states. They are not fuckin ikea table tops with cardboard inside of them.
>>
>>1151833

You could build a nice, all wood desk out of just 3/4" or 1" thick plywood for the top and some poplar or oak boards from the hardware store. Only need a drill and some dowel bits (if you use dowels instead of screws) or some Torx (star shaped) screws, plus a trim saw. It'd beat the hell out of particleboard shit as far as quality. I'd say maybe $30 for the wood, $8 for screws, $10 for misc. hardware, and $10 for stain and finish.
>>
File: 0184582_PE336273_S5.jpg (88KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
0184582_PE336273_S5.jpg
88KB, 2000x2000px
Is this a cuck desk?
>>
>>1151833
desk is pretty basic stuff, making it level is probably a good starting place for building anything
a piece of plywood on 4 legs is top knotch
>>
>>1152497
>dont wall mount, its never good, especially aesthetically
What's wrong with it? I was planning to tie mine into a wall to reduce wobble.
>>
>>1153109
Bar top epoxy is going to be more durable, and it's easier to apply thicker, which may be a boon if things aren't perfectly flat or level, you can just flood it and let the epoxy self-level. Polyurethane is fine though, just apply a thick enough coating, or enough thin ones. Epoxy will wear slower, but if you're not beating the shit out of it, they're both fine, you pretty much just get to skip the step where you sand each layer of poly before putting on another coat(trading it for a few minutes heating up bubbles with a heat gun or torch to get them to pop out before it cures).
>>
File: hs.jpg (64KB, 305x408px) Image search: [Google]
hs.jpg
64KB, 305x408px
Two of these and a big board of heavy wood is the best desk I've had.
>>
File: 3154814152_1345754171.jpg (181KB, 1085x919px) Image search: [Google]
3154814152_1345754171.jpg
181KB, 1085x919px
Easy to build from home depot lumber, about 50 bucks total for the whole thing and remember a 2x4 is actually 1 1/2 x 3 /12 so dont fuck it up
>>
>>1153128
Why not just 4 straight pillars down?
>>
File: 1490919829367.jpg (74KB, 936x960px) Image search: [Google]
1490919829367.jpg
74KB, 936x960px
I mean... if you have the means of transporting fucking lumber or gimmick doors for gimmick desks(le frugal startup face).

Just get a fucking used desk.

Fucking surf Garage Sales on Saturday or use Craigslist.

You can find good hardwood, old desks that people think are 'junk' for <$50. Or nice Steel desks from the 50's that need a bit of paint.

And while you won't have the gratification of 'muh diy' you'll have a 50 year old desk made by a company or people that knew what they were doing.
>>
>>1153838
depends how many times you watched your wife get penetrated by Tyrone on it if less than 3 your good
>>
>>1154179
wobbly as shit. tables with straigt legs always need some of this stabilisation stuff
>>
>>1151866
2nd that. just picked up a packed SUV's worth of FREE shelving wood last week via craigslist. mostly 2X12 uprights and 1X12 shelving but also included a super heavy solid core door that was used for the desk surface. I see these solid core doors at the re-use-it/salvage/habitat for humanity shops all the time for very cheap.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.