[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can you use a vibrating parts tumbler to remove the hot dipped

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0310.jpg (209KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0310.jpg
209KB, 600x400px
Can you use a vibrating parts tumbler to remove the hot dipped galv from, say, a chain?
>>
Probably, if you have an abrasive in there that can do the business. Would guess that the areas inside the links would get poor coverage, depending on the granule size
>>
>>1151712
Thanks. Is sand enough or do I need something more aggressive? I've seen people use like ground walnut shells or something but that seems too soft.
>>
>>1151714
sand would probably work Eventually? You would be turning sand into finer sand at almost the same rate.

You would probably want something like an aluminum oxide grit or silicon dioxide.

Another option would be to strip off the zinc in a water and acid, Muriatic Acid probably. Experiment a bit for the proper ratio and time, always add acid to water, not water to acid if you are thinning it down, and some chemical protective gloves and face shield is a good idea.

Rinse in a large amount of water and/or neutralize with water+baking soda. Then you will want to get that stuff dry and oiled as fast as possible because it will want to rust into a lump immediately.

(dont keep acid in the house, dispose of by diluting by large factors, etc, etc)
>>
>>1151752
yeah hydrochloric acid is a much better option for a steel chain

>dont keep acid in the house
as long as you really seal it it's ok
...if you dont by the tiniest amount the fumes will corrode/rust any metal you have in the room.
>>
>>1151708
it is zinc so just hook it up to some electrode in solution and electrolysis its ass off.

>>1151777
Vinegar will also work well. Just toss in some pennies with it.
>>
>>1151795
That's a damn good idea. Not 100% about the procedure though, I'm guessing submerging the chain in a plastic tub filled with washing soda, hooking up the positive lead from a battery charger to the chain and the negative lead to a sacrificial scrap piece of iron?
>>
Not OP but I have a related question.

I want to remove the galvanization from a chain mail shirt I'm working on and then build up a black oxide layer instead. What's the best way to do this?
>>
Why not just burn off the zinc? Just don't breath in the fumes.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.