[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /diy/ looking for project advice; thinking of making a walking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: UC2926.jpg (38KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
UC2926.jpg
38KB, 1000x1000px
Hey /diy/ looking for project advice; thinking of making a walking stick.

I'd like to do it on the cheap but have it be solid.
Lay it on me.
>>
>>1151383
> Go to nature
> Find stick

Any questions?
>>
>>1151394
how about making it not just a stick my guy
or is this too complex a project for you
>>
>>1151395
How about being specific with what you are after cheech? You literally posted a stick..
>>
>>1151394
>>1151397
He said he wanted a solid stick you fucking idiot. If you're not going to help, don't fucking post.

>>1151395
What you gotta do is go to your local woods. They don't have to be local, but you want cheap. Local is cheap, especially if it's within walking distance.
Once you're there, look around for a nice, solid stick. Try looking around trees, but not ON the trees. Those are called branches, you don't want those. Those are no good. Try looking just slightly below the trees, near the dirt. That'll be the prime spot for sticks. Now, you don't want one that's too small. That's called a twig. Don't get one that's too tall or fat either. Those are trunks. You want a stick, about the same height as you, maybe as wide as your wrist (since you want it to be solid).
Now, I'm left handed. If you're right handed that's fine, just kinda do what I tell you, but with your right hand. It'll be about the same.
Anyways, once you find a nice solid stick, pick it up with your hand. Again, I'm left handed, but you should be fine picking it up with your right. Now, with the stick in your hand (in my case, my left hand, maybe your right), turn it so it's positioned parallel to your body. Don't hold too close to the bottom though, and not too too high. You'll kinda have to experiment with different hand positions, but you should know when you find a nice, comfortable position. It'll be when you're not crouching while holding it, but you're not extending your arm over your head. That just looks stupid. You want somewhere in the middle of those two extremes.

>1/2
>>
>>1151415
Once you figure out your comfortable hand position, try walking with it. Here's some tips with that, because sometimes I see people mess up, and I don't want you being one of those people, OP.
>Don't drag the stick as you walk
>Don't plant the stick in front of you, and then hop off of it.
What you want to do is (and I'm left handed, so you may need to do this the opposite way, if you're right handed)
>With the stick in your left hand, take a step forward with your right foot.
>As you step forward with your left foot, lift the stick off of the ground
>Plant the stick down and you bring your left foot down. They should land at about the same time, right next to each other
Don't overthink it. With some practice, it'll become second nature. Just don't overextend your stick, and DON'T lift your stick as you lift your right foot (unless you're right handed, and have the stick in your right hand. Then DON'T lift your stick as you lift your left foot). That's a bad habit to get in to, and bad habits are hard to break.

Hope this helps OP!
>>
>>1151394
I think he's trying to do a simple project, that's way too complex.
>>
>>1151417
11/10
A true work of art friendo
>>
>>1151383
>>1151397
>>1151415
>>1151417
any tips on committing suicide with the stick?
>>
>>1151415
>>1151417
So, tl;dr, go to nature, find stick.

I love you anon.
>>
>>1151383
Find stick. Wrap some paracord aroumd it for a handle. Pour boiling water on to tighten. Get knife and carve cool shit. Get rubber and fix to bottom.

I did it to a hedge stick and use it a lot.

Fucming arthritis.
>>
>>1151465
Too complex try using uranium infused aluminium to build an automobile and drive it into a crowd screaming "god be praised"
>>
>>1151394
>>1151395
>>1151383
>>1151383

> Go to nature
> Find stick
>strip bark
>rub in oil
>remove excess oil
>>
>>1151495
There's a check for boring insects before you bring them to you home step in there somewhere too.
>>
>>1151505
Are exciting insects alright?
>>
>go to walmart
>buy walking stick
>>
File: FJ10W6IHVGXPMMS.RECT2100[1].jpg (393KB, 2100x1750px) Image search: [Google]
FJ10W6IHVGXPMMS.RECT2100[1].jpg
393KB, 2100x1750px
>>1151383
STICKS ARE FOR WALKING NORMIES REEEEEE
>>
>>1151383
Always liked this guys carving
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiDdaCDetfJBhp5o72UP4xA

From memory he's also got some vids about finding the right bit of wood too
>>
>>1151417
um, no. you use a cane or walking stick on the same side of the foot that is moving, not the opposite side.
the reason for this is so you don't lean too hard on it and tip over if it slips/breaks.
eg if you are right handed, you should be getting support/pushing off of stick when you are lifting your right foot, and moving it with your left.
so if stick slips on mud, then you have to drop your right foot that was in the air to recover.
wheras if your weight was split between your right foot and the stick on the right and it slips, you will be falling away from your other foot and probably overbalance and fall.

although I will say >>1151417 is right, if you are going up a steep hill, or rough terrain, it is better to move one at a time and go step, step, stick, step, step, stick, instead of step, step and stick, step, step and stick.
Also, don't reach with it, it should be planted where it sits straight down from your hand with your upper arm loosely against your side and your elbow bend 90 degrees.

>>1151415
This is the best way, but remember that federal/state parks it's illegal to take anything home from.

>>1151505
I've found the best solution is to strip the bark, most insects will give up @ no safe space to tunnel in from unless it's already fully nested in by termites etc, but those should snap when you lean on them to test them.

Also, I would think another fairly cheap option would be to see if you can get bull pizzle from a slaughter house near you.

Um... if you want a molded handle (on any type), you can get one by wrapping it in freshly boiled plastic grocery bags and then gripping it with a leather glove while they're still soft and pliable to leave an imprint in the shape of your grip. Use it for a bit first to find where
your comfortable height is.
>>
>>1151383
Soak it in acetone. This shrinks the spongy part of the wood (pith), raising the grain. The apply artificial wood petrifier (used to preserve rotting wood). Then a healthy two part resin sealant layer.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.