[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Whoop whoop! Chicken COOPS! Anybody build a coop before? Finally

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6

File: 9-coop28.jpg (179KB, 980x648px) Image search: [Google]
9-coop28.jpg
179KB, 980x648px
Whoop whoop! Chicken COOPS!

Anybody build a coop before? Finally have the space to build one in my backyard, and already got the neighbor's permission as per city law.

Trying to decide on shape right now, but I'm leaning towards pic related. I'd like for them to have some decent space to move about, although I should be able to let them out into the yard proper when the weather is decent.

I've learned about some pretty interesting things in the world of chicken coops of late, such as the nipple water dispensers, and some really neat gravity fed feeding devices.

I'm going to get four probably, two Orphingtons and two Ameraucana. They seem to be pretty good layers and will hold up well in my frosty winters.

This can be a thread for tips, interesting coop design or questions related to the keeping of chickens!
>>
File: a-frame-chicken-coop-500x330.jpg (70KB, 500x330px) Image search: [Google]
a-frame-chicken-coop-500x330.jpg
70KB, 500x330px
For you fans of A-Frames
>>
File: ChickenCoop1w-1024x682.jpg (305KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
ChickenCoop1w-1024x682.jpg
305KB, 1024x682px
This is an interesting design, I'd probably want something with a solid roof as we get a lot of rain.
>>
File: 32956_coop19.jpg (64KB, 640x426px) Image search: [Google]
32956_coop19.jpg
64KB, 640x426px
>>
File: Thumb530x450.jpg (39KB, 361x450px) Image search: [Google]
Thumb530x450.jpg
39KB, 361x450px
Maybe it's stupid, but I really want to put one of these bubbles on the side so they can look out. They come in a lot smaller sizes, and I might build some grooves so I could cover that area with a wood panel in winter for insulation.
>>
>>1151314
None of these designs has enough space to keep the chickens from getting stressed and beating the shit out of each other. Think at least a 4x4 foot square for each chicken, both inside and outside. Inside space can be supplemented with ample roosting space.
>>
>>1151317
This design looks like it would hold up, but you also have to make sure to bury the fence to keep predators from digging in/chickens from digging out.
>>
>>1151320
The thing that baffles me is the sheer lack of space most people in the city give to their chickens. I've seen backyard coops that are even smaller than that, which I'm 80% sure is against code.

>>1151322
For sure, I think that might be the one I wind up going with. They'll be able to roam the yard for 3 seasons, but I'd like them to have ample space when they can't.
>>
>>1151324
I mean, you could get away with some of these designs if you were only planning on putting say, 4 bantum hens in them

For all my coops, its just basically been a shed with a run attached, no need to do anything to fancy, how cold are the winters where you live?
>>
>>1151324
>that design

enjoy foxes digging under and ripping them to fucking shreds one night
>>
>>1151320
>>1151324
>>1151325
Chicken tractors are where its at for small designs. Moving it around a few times a week is enough to keep the chickens from picking on each other.
>>
>>1151327
The chickens would be roosting and locked up in that back section at night. However, a fox or dog will do that in broad daylight too.

I lost 3 chickens last week to a fox that dug under the parameter fence. It an area about an acre in size. I don't have the funds to buy enough fencing to skirt the entire fence, but I did skirt the worst areas.
>>
>>1151325
Minneapolis, so the winters get pretty chilly.

Worst case scenario, I could throw them in the basement overnight if it got insanely cold.

>>1151327
It's possible, but you'd be locking them in at night. I live in the middle of a city, so the worse I'd have to deal with is stray cats or hawks.
>>
>>1151334
Okay, so you live where I do. I would just get a big prefab shed, insulate it and work with that. If it's big enough the whole thing should stay around zero even without a heater during most winter days. Just remember that ventilation is important and that bigger chickens do better during the winter up here.
>>
>>1151336
Nice! In the upper Midwest, or actually in Minneapolis?

Wouldn't buying a prefab shed and retrofitting it be more expensive than just building something from scratch?

On the other hand, it does take care of a lot of the work.
>>
A few things to keep in mind from what I've learned raising chickens: chickens dig A LOT, they can easily have holes big enough to escape within a month or two if they're on soft dirt (and grass will become dirt after about a week of chickens on it).
They can all fly surprisingly well, even the larger breeds, so you want to raise them in their house and keep them there until they're mostly grown so they imprint that it's home and don't aim to roost in trees or somewhere else you don't want.
They need wide, square perches to roost on at night since they're not perching birds.
My big chicken house has done fine in the winter in around 30 F and its siding is a mix of tin sheeting and wood panels, just get a heat light.
Raise them from chicks and handle them daily if you want them to be really tame although this means you'll have to wait a lot longer for eggs.
Breed-wise, I've had good luck with Orpingtons and Ameraucanas, they're pretty friendly breeds, Brahmas and Cochins are great cold weather breeds but don't lay much, they're basically just pets. Barred Rocks are nice, too
>>
>>1151339
No, I live about an hour south of the cities. If you feel determined to put the effort in to build a shed, go for it, but if not buying a shed works great. I've done both, the second time I just bought a prefab and insulated it. Just make sure to put down a tarp or some sort of moisture barrier underneath everything to keep the floorboards from rotting out. Also make sure nothing can get up and under the shed and tear through the floor.

>>1151345 This guy gets its.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.