[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm looking at building a sawmill on site at my property.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: Sawmill.jpg (206KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
Sawmill.jpg
206KB, 1024x682px
I'm looking at building a sawmill on site at my property. Does anyone have any good documentation on this?
>>
>>1150989
Nope sorry. Good luck tho. Evefyine says its a lot of fucking work. Ive helped out in 1. Big metal blads take more wood out but metal bandsasw ar fucking dangerous. Good luck. Woukd like to see it. And u can use and underpowered motor in a pinch just go slow.

Sucks dick bit get a stiff broom and brush off your boards. The dust will draw moisture and mold.
>>
>>1150989
>Does anyone have any good documentation on this?
I'm sure lots of people do, everyone in my neighborhood has a sawmill. Fucking retard, use google.
>>
>>1150989
lots of diy ones use a chainsaw
>>
>>1150989
Look it up on youtube.
Also the sawmill on your pick is fucking dangerous.
>>
>>1151201
my understanding was bandsaws were safer, but were less sturdy (and therefore you couldn't feed as fast) as the big disks, also harder to resharpen.

Also, if you want to diy, it's generally a lot easier to set it up so you move the saw along the log, because logs are heavy.
http://woodgears.ca/big_bandsaw/sawmilling.html if you can lift it/build a platform with a ramp seems like the easiest option.
>>
>>1151577
Makes sense. Ive seen bamds fly off tho. Get a guard and never stand in front of the teeth or get in a hurry and maybe it is safer. I have considered getting an electric band saw and just fliping it sideways. But i cant handle the logs and have 30 other things going on. Akways interested seeing new ideas tho so go for it.
>>
>>1150989
Google search back issues of popular mechanics (sub 1960s).
Perhaps mother earth news or the foxfire books too.
>>
>>1150989
I know of a homemade sawmill someone made that is basically a truck, lifted off the ground, and runs the blade using the back tires.
>>
>>1151773
This is the kind I'm used to seeing in my area. They usually run off diesel too. The tire on the other side is replaced with a big ass concrete flywheel. The side with the blade uses a wide belt to drive it from hub to blade axle. That way there's some margin of safety if the blade suddenly sticks and stops the flywheel doesn't wreck everyone's day.
>>
Pretty sure horror fright sells sawmills...
>>
Way out west blow in blog. Look that channel up on YouTube to see a cool diy bandsaw/rail setup.

Uses car wheels/tires and a homemade rail line to move the logs.
>>
may sound stupid but maybe use a steel wire to cut the log? think skyrim sawmills, they use a thin blade going up and down, idk about a steel cable, may or may not work. that or think about a long chainshaw chain you can link a bunch together to be able to put on a bigger setup.
>>
File: mc.webm (2MB, 720x405px) Image search: [Google]
mc.webm
2MB, 720x405px
>>1151321
>is fucking dangerous

You better not look at these then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSuKf-qHH4s
>>
>>1154758
Fucking hell anon, what is wrong with you?
>>
>>1154758
this is the kind of thing only an engineering student could come up with
>>
Reinventing the wheel will waste effort you can put into cutting wood.

Go to arboristsite etc and study chainsaw mills.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.