[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

trisodium phosphate...what do you guys think about it? I was

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2

File: tsp.jpg (13KB, 163x230px) Image search: [Google]
tsp.jpg
13KB, 163x230px
trisodium phosphate...what do you guys think about it? I was planning to start using it in my laundry and possibly for washing dishes. Any recipes for either of these welcome.
>>
>>1150353
It's bad for the environment so you shouldn't use it more than necessary.
It will eat dried paint off a brush so it's pretty strong shit.
As long a something else with lower or no phosphates will do the job, use them first.
>>
>>1150361
i heard algae cant really use this form of phosphate
>>
>>1150353
You want sodium tripolyphosphate for this, it's much less likely to etch.
>>
>>1150353
I'd suggest using sodium hydroxide, it's a little more caustic but that just means you have to use less.
>>
>>1150362
Phosphate loving algae have no problem digesting TSP.
>>
>>1150353

As a general rule, you don't want to use chemically sounding shit on or in your body. Unless it's medicine obviously. and even then I would Google it.

The reality is that the test for a lot of this stuff is pretty lax. They expose mice to it for a year or so, force the mice to eat it. Then do some tests. As long as the mice don't get horribly fucked up they approve it for human consumption.

So basically we use a whole lot of shit today, that in 100 years we will be certain gave people various cancers.

Here's a fun example. The plastics, rubbers and adhesives that are in automobiles. When the car gets very hot, like 100+ degrees, that shit enters the air inside the car. Then when you get into the car you breath it in.
>>
>>1150482
Your blood contains phosphate.
In addition to not causing shit on tests, there's little reason to assume it could cause shit.

If you're going to be scared of chemicals, at least you should choose your enemies bit more sensibly. There's plenty of everyday stuff which is proven to be more dangerous than TSP.
>>
>>1150498
Your blood contains ammonia.
In addition to causting shit on tests, there's every reason to assume it could caust shit.

If you're going to be lax with chemicals, at least you should choose your arguments a bit more sensibly. There's plenty of everyday stuff which is proven to be more dangerous than ammonia.
>>
>>1150353
The baltic is fucked because of too much phosphates. You will make the waters close to you worse by using it....
>>
>>1150482
>you don't want to use chemically sounding shit on or in your body

So no dihydrogen monoxide.
>>
>>1150353
There's tons of recipes online. Try googling for them. Using 1/2 a teaspoon in your laundry will do the job. Just mix it with water first and pour it in when there's a good bit of water in the machine. Same amount for the dishwasher. Use it in combination with soap.

>>1150361
It isn't.

>>1150482
TSP is a food additive too.

>>1150514
>You will make the waters close to you worse by using it....

That's not true.

>>1150382
It isn't as widely available as TSP.
>>
>>1150633
>dihydrogen monoxide

That shit will kill you.

>an average of nearly 4,000 deaths each year, or about 10 a day.
>>
I use it in the dishwasher. Just a teaspoon per load.

Works great. Dishes don't come out of the dishwasher looking like someone shut off the water line any more.
>>
>>1150361

Back when phosphates were in all the household detergents, it was a problem. Phosphate is a kind of fertilizer, and too much can lead to excessive algae.

Using a bit here and there though shouldn't be a problem. It is a tiny fraction of the phosphate that gets into waterways from farm fertilizer run-off.

Nothing beats TSP for cleaning. I tried everything to clean greasy cabinets in my kitchen after moving in, and TSP was the only thing I found that really did the job.
>>
File: TSP.jpg (35KB, 603x656px) Image search: [Google]
TSP.jpg
35KB, 603x656px
>>1150925
I use it too but I try to keep it at a minimum.
I use the powder in hot water for cleaning paint tools.
I have a spray bottle of pic related for when I need a supercleaner for something other cleaners just don't get.

Still, I try to use them sparingly.
>>
Can you get TSP aka Sugar Soap in the EU?

I've never found a store that has even heard of it, let alone stocks it
>>
>>1150638
Ammonia is a food additive too.
>>
>>1150955
And ammonia also makes for a perfectly safe and effective cleaning product as well.
>>
>>1150510
>>1150955
It's like the concepts of dose and exposure are totally alien to you.
- all the available evidence suggests that small amounts of TSP are harmless
- this kinda makes sense, since your body needs phosphates to function
- we are talking about using it as a detergent, not eating it or swimming in it
- you probably use protective gloves when handling all the other detergents, so do so with TSP as well

In addition to avoiding hydrogen oxide, you probably should consider avoiding air as well. It's a mixture of chemicals, containing everything from rats farts to radon.
>>
>>1150638

>>You will make the waters close to you worse by using it....
>That's not true.

You're not going to have a meaningful impact alone, but if everyone does it ... algal blooms ahoy.
>>
>>1151074
>but if

Not going to happen.
>>
TSP is some fan-fucking-tabulous shit for killing surface rust and it's also great at killing mold on a building, too.
>>
>>1150638
>That's not true.
But it is. It depends on the size of the pond, by the big seas the impact is obviously smaller but around fresh water you will put more nutrients in the water which disturbs the current equilibrium. Try pubmed with some relevant keywords. And this comes from one that does marine biological field work. Being a geneticist sucks as you have to sit in a office. I'd rather be at sea...
>>
>>1151075
But everyone is. In the baltic households put approximately 10-15% of the total amount of phosphorous in the sea. In confines waters this is a problem. Your mileage may vary as you might even not be living by the baltic (blasphemy!). Of course if you are a flatearther or some other anti science person you won't change your mind just because anon says so on a anonymous image board but that won't make it less true...
>>
>>1150935
Except there isnt any tsp in that shit
>>
>>1150925
>Back when phosphates were in all the household detergents, it was a problem.
Back when Phosphates were in all the household detergents it still only accounted for less that 1/10th of 1% of all phophate inputs into the water system.

Commercial and agricultural inputs of phosphates have increased and were not impacted by the 'ban'. And in the decade since the ban phosphate levels continue to rise unabated and theres even more algal blooms
>>
>>1151118
It isn't true in the first place. Don't make up bullshit.

Farming is the problem and will always be the problem until they change their methods.
>>
>>1151175
>Except there isnt any tsp in that shit

What? Did the label "TSP SUBSTITUTE" give it away?
And that's exactly why I choose it.
It's a very good cleaning agent.
>>
>>1150952
Check contractor supply places. Most DIY/homeowner-centric stores won't carry it, but the commercial ones will.
>>
>>1150353
we use this shit in the navy to treat boiler water for submarines and carriers with nuclear plants. My job as engineering Lab tech literally mixing lbs of this shit and feeding it into the boiler systems. the navy is super gay about it to and u gotta wear a full apron and face mask ect even though its just fkn detergent, Prevents corrosion really well in the boilers by keepin pH high and the free phosphates bond with calcium, magnesium ect to prevent scale from building up. TPS is good as detergent but its honestly no better than standard detergent and/or Oxy Clean, and ur not gunna eutrophicate any water sources by using them
>>
>>1151341
navy really is full of dumb peopltsp will burn u it will eat dry paint off a brush oxyclean is a gimmick at best
>>
>>1151348
ive never been burned by TPS and I handle it regularly as part of my job. same with DSP. Oxyclean is the best product I have found for use in laundry combined with a detergent. Keeps white white, colors stay fast, removes stains better than detergent alone. Oxyclean as anything else, like cleaning tile, is a gimmick though I agree
>>
>>1151178
>>Back when phosphates were in all the household detergents, it was a problem.

I cheerfully withdraw my original statement. Thanks for the correction.
>>
>>1151296
I think it's funny how they try to pretend though. They all have names like "TSP 3000" or "TSP-MAXX" I'm sure they trick plenty of people who don't look closely.
>>
Use TSP in your dishwasher. 1 teaspoon along with the detergent in cup.
>>
>>1151015
It's like the concept that your arguments are bad is totally foreign to you.
-just because a chemical is in your blood doesn't mean that it is safe
-this kind of makes sense since the dose makes the poison
-Try not breathing it in in addition to not eating or swimming in it
-I also use a mask when mixing caustic powdered chemicals

As a breatharian, I have no problem consuming air.
>>
>>1151979
>Breathairian.

Kek. Saw that on Barney Miller. It was reruns, so fuck off. Fish was cool.
>>
Call me a hippy or sheep or whatever but I'm inclined to believe that they banned this shit for a reason.
>>
>>1152001
It was because phosphates led to algal blooms in waterways. They also reduced the amount of phosphorous in consumer grade lawn fertilizer.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.