[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /diy/. I have something I really want to build but due to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_0598.jpg (28KB, 400x370px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0598.jpg
28KB, 400x370px
Hey /diy/. I have something I really want to build but due to my personal lack of knowledge I don't know if it's feasible. So I bought a ripstik G and I love riding it around my college campus. The only problem is generating enough speed to actually have fun because I have to gyrate almost the whole time I'm on it. I've looked into the electric model but it has a set rear wheel.

So, using steel gears (that I would mount on the wheels) and a high torque motor, would it be possible to make my ripstik electric w/o sacrificing rear wheel freedom? Also can you suggest a motor and gears? Speed control would be done with a remote.

TL;DR
>is there a motor small enough to mount on the side of a caster wheel and powerful enough to power a ripstik with a 160 lbs on it. Or multiple motors.

Inb4 >buy a longboard
(I might if this doesn't work out.)
>>
>>1148588
I little glue gun should do the trick. Not too much.
>>
>>1148596
Lel thanks anon. Basically while I was making this thread I got the idea of how I'm going to do it anyways. I'm going to 3-D print parts and then either cast them in aluminum or send them off to a shop that makes custom gears. I will have the gears made and steel and the mount for the motor made out of aluminum.

I only need help picking out a workable motor.
>>
>>1148622
Check commercial gear suppliers like Boston Gear. Most machinist buy standard gears then machine them to fit their shafts etc. Gear hobbing is typically expensive because of setup so standard is good.

http://www.bostongear.com/products
>>
>>1148588
Why are you using a Ripstik if you're going to attach a motor to it? The whole point of a Ripstik is that you can generate your own power and momentum without touching the ground with your erotic gyrations. If you're going to forego that, you might as well get a skateboard that has the benefit of 4 wheel stability and much easier time attaching a motor to.
>>
>>1148855
kek
>erotic gyrations

also agree with later part of statement
>>
>>1148855
From what I've seen it's more herky-jerky
>>
>>1148855
Op here- I've considered the skateboard thoroughly but realized that I lose massive maneuverability. The speed is the only lacking item when discussing daily use on campus. I just need to know what motor will work. Also it can be both erotic or herky derky.
>>
>>1149016
Have you thought about how everything would physically fit? Both wheels have free rotation along 2 axis. In addition, when you do sharp turns, the wheels lean quite a bit. So to mount your motor, you'd have to figure out how to retain the freedom of range, and also not stick out so much that it scraps along the ground when turning.
>>
>>1148588
Drag on wheel no free rolling throw off balance no work no good
>>
>>1149027
Yes I did consider that and the factors affecting that would be motor size and shape, and I have fully considered the fit of everything except the motor because I don't know what small motor would have the strength to propell me.
>>
>long board
>rip stick
>motorized
Why not all 3?
>>
File: motorized_ripstik_do_not_steal.jpg (948KB, 1400x1000px) Image search: [Google]
motorized_ripstik_do_not_steal.jpg
948KB, 1400x1000px
>>1148588
Here you go, OP. I drew out a mockup of what you're after.
>>
LOL, I used to play with that skate when was I was a child :') I've got that thing held yet
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.