[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I may be getting hired for a small engine tech position. I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: download.jpg (8KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
8KB, 225x225px
I may be getting hired for a small engine tech position. I'm familiar with engines and I'm confident I could fix a mower or something, but I don't have any relevant education and I've never actually touched a small engine. Can /diy/ give me some example problems and I'll try to diagnose the issue?

e.g.
>Turn the key to start, but nothing happens. No turning over, no lights, nothing.
Check the battery. If it's good, follow all of the wires and check electrical connections.
>>
>>1146380

altho DIY is not your personal education board, and most users will tell you to just google it....

always check to see if theres power. then move on to other components. check batery to make sure its fully charged. then check connections, check switch. look for fuses or broken wires. check power at switch check power after switch. look for any relays that might need to engage to provide power. check them, replace if bad. if its a mower with a starter as you stated, it might have a solenoid switch. those go bad and will kill power to everything.
>>
File: 20170317_144535.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170317_144535.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>1146380
Pic related. start a up without a problem. Runs Intel hot normally 5-20 minutes then dies without a sputter and will not start again for several days. Normal wear and tare good compression. Saw maintains spark even though it will not run.
Just had saw serviced for this problem.
Please include a quote for parts and labor.
Earn your money small enginefag.
>>
>>1146407
Hmm. The first thing I would suspect is it's overheating. See if there's anything blocking any of the cooling stuff (e.g. leaves covering the fins).
>>
>>1146412
Or if there's a temperature-controlled choke, that may be poorly adjusted.
>>
>>1146414
I Googled it. Your gas tank should have a vent that may be malfunctioning. That would explain why it wont restart even after cooling off (pressure builds up and just stays). When it dies, take the gas cap off and see if it'll restart.
>>
>>1146407
>stihl
There's your problem.

Can I be small engine tech now?

>inb4 a dozen serious replies to a joke post telling me how Im retarded
>>
here have a fucking highlight reel

>weed eater, bought friday returned monday. no start, no compression. the gas in the tank is oily, but looking through the exhaust port the piston looks like it was dragged a mile on asphalt. did he maybe forget the oil? customer chimps out, threatens to report you to the BBB, leaves you a 1-star stinker on yelp.

>snow blower, motor runs but it doesn't throw snow; a chunk of ornamental concrete rabbit is still lodged in the tangled ruin of the fan. snow is ten feet deep; lead time on parts is six weeks. customer is calling the shop literally every hour of the day. motherfucker even called your HOUSE.

>miller towable welder. your boss says he got it at auction, it only needs a new battery. close inspection (i.e. opening any of the hatches) reveals a junkyard motor and a couple of concrete blocks. he fires you because 'it's all there, and yet you can't get it going'
>>
Hey where's our German boat tech-in-training? His thread was good for learning engines
>>
>>1146425
I forgot about o boy. Hope he's doing well, and didn't end up sinking or stranding someone.
>>
>>1146436
I have absolutely no doubt that he will. But he'll learn from it and become a better mechanic!

Don't think he starts for a while, just fucking about with the merc
>>
>>1146423
>he fires you because 'it's all there, and yet you can't get it going'
i feel like that might be illegal? either way im sure you showed him he is a gullable fucktard right?
>>
>>1146425
Anyone got an archive of that?

To op- start watching YouTube repair vids. Get yourself a couple eservice/shop books for common engines in your region and read them. If you dont standunderstand them, watch example vids. Troubleshooting logically ist dhard if you take time to runderstand how the thing works when it does work
>>
>>1146380
>small engine tech
most small engine (lawnmower, tiller, chainsaw, etc.) problems are related to rotten gas left in carb between infrequent uses which clogs said carb.
In lawnmowers the second most frequent is flywheel key is fucked because the owner hit a solid object but won't admit to it when turning it in for service.
>>
>>1146509
Any skilled boss can get anyone fired.
>>
>>1146590
any skilled jew can get that boss to poy
>>
>>1146605
*pay
>>
>>1146380
>>1146407
>lying on a resume
>taking a job with no qualifications
>tricking some nice HR woman into passing you on

You're scum OP.

You sound like some retard on a that bazinga sitcom who can describe how a combustion engine works but not point to out or remove a single part to replace. Go to trade school and quit wasting money and some other competent persons job.
>>
>>1146380
>and I've never actually touched a small engine

well shit
>>
>>1146420
Found the Toro shill, and you're retarded!
>>
>>1146538
Yeah man, check the archive
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.