[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If anyone knows this phillip guy...let me know, i wanna

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 23

If anyone knows this phillip guy...let me know, i wanna punch him in the face.
>>
>>1145402
>I can't screwdriver QQ
HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAH

AHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
File: Henry F Phillips.png (34KB, 472x296px) Image search: [Google]
Henry F Phillips.png
34KB, 472x296px
>>1145402
You're a little late.
> Born: Jun 04, 1889
> Died: Apr 13, 1958
>>
>>1145414
The credited inventor of the Phillips screw was John P. Thompson.
>>
File: bolts.gif (2KB, 207x211px) Image search: [Google]
bolts.gif
2KB, 207x211px
tell me where i can meet Dr. M. Hexagon,so i can suck his dick
>>
>>1145402
>uses the wrong type screwdriver
>uses cheap shit chink screwdriver
>blames screw drive type inventor
you are a gimp
>>
>>1145425
It was literally designed to strip though.
>>
>>1145430
i have never stripped a ph or pz using the correct hand driver. with a drill driver sure, but i have bent flathead bits like that too.
>>
>>1145441
Oh ok, well maybe all the factories in the world should go back to screwing things in by hand then
>>
>>1145402
PoziDrive Master race checking in...
>>
>>1145452
There'd be more jobs and less low level criminals
>>
>>1145417
The P stood for Philips. He later remarried and took his wife's surname. He also later changed his first name to Henry on account of a bar bet.
>>
>>1145479
>giving loads of people a pointy object while they're subjected to the most annoying thing in the world all day, screwing in philips head screws.

no
>>
>>1145430
No it was designed to slip out, not strip.
>>
What kind of total fucking plebian isn't using square or hex drive screws?
>>
>>1145464
Pozi is still annoying. We torx now
>>
>>1145464
>PoziDrive
Developed by The Phillips Screw Company in association with The American Screw Company.
>>
>>1145418
such a great bit

all you need is torx bits for inside the screw and hex bits for outside the screw

every other bit is useless and complete garbage.
>>
File: 17iion[1].jpg (39KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
17iion[1].jpg
39KB, 500x333px
>>1145543
ITP: things that never happened
>>
File: fuck.jpg (17KB, 450x327px) Image search: [Google]
fuck.jpg
17KB, 450x327px
>>1145596
Developed by the Screw You company.
>>
>>1145402
>millennial cant into using proper size so they don't strip
>have to use kindergartentier hexagonal and square head screws like they're still playing with baby blocks

Why can't you kids fucking /diy/?
>>
>>1145621
You sound like a real party pooper
>>
>>1145402
whats wrong with PH?
it served us flawlessly for so many years, until some fuck started inventing 100 types of screw to flood markets with these unneeded tools
>>
>>1145402
there's also another bit (don't know the name) that looks VERY similar to philips but doesn't fit the same. if you use the that bit in a philips screw it tends to strip it out as it doesn't fit snugly. the other similar bit is more "pointy" then a true philips. make sure you are using the right one.
>>
>>1145684
Reed and Prince.
>>
File: Pentalobular.svg.png (60KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Pentalobular.svg.png
60KB, 1024x1024px
>2017
>not using Pentalobe
>>
File: S-14-2.jpg (22KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
S-14-2.jpg
22KB, 600x400px
>>1145691
Nigga, get out here with that strip o matic shit!

Bitches love my Robertson Drive!
>>
>>1145816
begone leaf
>>
>>1145589
Torx is the jew of screws
>>
>>1145847
Robinson is best.
>>
>2017
>poorfags still not using star drive
>>
I ONLY use squares. I keep a entire fucking cabinet full of all sorts of square fasteners so I can replace every single piece of shit Philips I come across. If someone ever invents a time machine I can 100% guarantee Philips will never exist
>>
>>1145586
Isn't using squares? Literally everyone not Canadian doesn't use square heads , dude.

I'm not saying its right, I'm just sayin
>>
>>1145816
>ignore canadian posts
>>
>>1145684
I think it's called JIC or JIF or something. It's a Japanese industrial standard. I know this pain from working on Japanese busses all day. For the most part you can use a Philips in them, untill you get one that's tight and it snaps the tip off your driver bit.
>>
File: JIS.jpg (271KB, 1600x1346px) Image search: [Google]
JIS.jpg
271KB, 1600x1346px
>>1146059
>JIC
>or JIF
>or something.
>It's a Japanese industrial standard
JIS
>>
>any year
>not glorious flathead
>>
>>1145621
right?
i converted all the wheel nuts on my car to phillips drive
>>
>>1146080
Holy shit I didn't even think of that
>>
Nothing wrong with Phillips head screws, I'd rather have a screw cam out than have some moron tradesman or assembly worker destroy something by applying too much torque to a screw.
>>
>>1146001
Dont call it star drive..you sound like a faggot. Just say torx
>>
File: screw_this.jpg (5KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
screw_this.jpg
5KB, 225x225px
>>1145402
You must have never seen this.
>>
>>1146150
Jesus, what kind of bullshit metal did they make those screws out of
>>
>>1146155
Zinc plated steel?
Its a one way safety screw ya numbnut
>>
>>1146163
I've only ever seen them on bathroom stalls. This is an anti-pervert screw.
>>
>>1146165
so that's why my neighbor put them on her windows.

i think she wants to see other people...
>>
>>1145402
meanwhile the guy who made the flathead is like whaaaat, we can get credit for this?
>>
>>1145586
>Square

Simple, reliable, and invigoratingly sexual.
>>
>>1145402
I like this phillips guy but fuck that mr.torx asshole
>>
>>1145586
pozidrive is better than square or philips. grips better than philips and won't kidnap your driver bit like square.
>>
>>1146106
worked better than you dreamed, huh? i changed years ago.
>>
>>1145684
if it's got points in the corners of the cross, it's pozidrive.
>>
File: glorious pozidrive.jpg (18KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
glorious pozidrive.jpg
18KB, 640x480px
y'all niggers need pozidrive.
>>
>>1146200
>kidnap your driver bit like square.

That's not right man, that's racist. Not all squares kidnap bits...
>>
File: images.jpg (5KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
5KB, 225x225px
>>1146209

Yall niggers need Inbus.
>>
>>1146205
no, doesn't have the extra fins or points. its not pozidrive. looks the same as philips except the angle of the point of the bit is much steeper.
>>
File: 20170317_112319.jpg (826KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20170317_112319.jpg
826KB, 2048x1152px
Fuck this shit. Fuck it.
>>
>>1146155
The mildest of steels
>>
Robertson > everything
Stay mad faggots
>>
Poz daddy drive > all
>>
>I hate Phillips
Is code for
>I am incapable of properly holding a screwdriver perpendicular to the screw head
>>
>>1146226
? pro-tip: its security torq because you don't need to remove it. if you think you do then really you just need a new hinge probably. because its at an angle? yeah no shit screw in the other end.
>>
>>1145452
or use a driver with the correct clutch setting like they do which is why there isn't any complaint from factories because they aren't braindead retards.
i don't understand you think factories use an inefficient screw type on purpose for no reason? that's not how capitalism works
>>
Buh Buh But what about muh clutch drive?
>>
Haha- you kidz these days... I used to say this same shit, except about flathead screws. I'd always be like, "whoever it was that, after the philips screw was invented, were like "nah, we prefer flathead screws- let's use those instead" are fucking stupid and I hate them a little more every time I have to deal with a flathead" Now I see everybody saying the same thing about phillips, in relation to all the new ones (hex, torx, pentalobe, square, etc. etc.). To all of you kicking on philips I have 2 things to say- 1) You DO know that there are different sizes of phillips bits? Using anything but the actual proper bit for the screw head will appear to work properly but wil be prone to stripping... a proper size and quality philips bit turning a quality philips screw is just as resistant to stripping as any of the newer heads like torx. As I think someone already somewhat said, the only difference from all the others and phillips is that all the others force the tool to be perfectly perpendicular to the screw. The only way you'll strip a phillips is by being at an angle or by using improper size or low quality bits and/or screws. Oh, and being impatient and/or hasty.
2) Those wishing to replace all existing phillips with a "superior" screwhead... let's not get TOO ahead of ourselves- we still live in a world where the flatheads have not yet been replaced and new flatheads are actually still being manufactured and used BY CHOICE! Replace THOSE first- then we can talk about phillips!
>>
While we're on the subject, while are nails still even around at ALL? A screw is obviously FAR superior and there are very few situations where a nail would work better than a screw would. I feel like the wooden stake was like windows v2, the nail was windows 3.1, the flathead was windows 3.11 for workgroups, the square was windows 95/98, the triangle was windows ME, Allen/hex keys were Windows NT/2000 making torx good old windows XP. windows xp SP 2 rev B was security torx. Sorry, that's where my analogy ends- apparently we must be falling behind the curve with regards to our bithead/screwhead technology advances lol
>>
File: nail-gun-bg-framing.jpg (378KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
nail-gun-bg-framing.jpg
378KB, 700x700px
>>1146567
>>
>>1146566
So Phillips is just as good as square drive but it takes longer to do right? Why the fuck would I buy Phillips then if square drive does the same job and I have to fuck around with it less.

For me the best thing about square dives is that they sit snug on the bit, so you can put one in your drill without it falling out all over the show like shitty Phillips.
>>
>>1145430
No that's your mom your thinking of there anon
>>
>>1146576

With magnetic screw holders that's a moot point. They work as a depth stop with phillips/pozi as well, doubt it would work with robertson.
>>
>>1146607
>Depth stop

Mate your eyeballs work way fucking better than hoping that shitty screw will cam out at just the right time even though that depends on how you are holding it, what angle, how much pressure is on it, etc...

Also
>Magnetic bits

Work great until you pick up a non-ferrous screw or they lose their magnetic strength.
>>
>>1146189
Franklin Flathead gets plenty of credit for the slotted screw.
>>
>>1146432
*security hex
>>
>>1146410
Alternatively:

>I am incapable of using enough pressure when turning the screwdriver
>>
>>1146149
My background is electronics, and in THAT environment, people who say "torx" are faggots for enjoying the name's pun and using brand name association. And torque isn't something you try to maximize when working.

But, I say channel locks when I mean tongue and groove pliers, so maybe I should just say torx. Even if I feel like a dumbass when I do.
>>
>>1146410

The points of torx bits is that 1) you can only insert the head at 90 degrees and 2) they require no downward pressure.

>>1146566

It's annoying to have to inspect a phillips head. Bit too small - stripped. Bit too large - angular upward resistance to bit.

Flatheads and Phillips still have their applications - low torque, cramped settings.

But if you want to disassemble modern electronics or most power tools, you better have an hex key and a star drive key.

And with wood, you don't have to look any further than lag screws to see which heads are best for minimizing strip.

--------

"Let's not worry too much about the new shit while the old shit is around" - No, dude. There will be asshats who swear by Phillips or pozi until they die, and their kids will likely adopt that nonsense. Shit there's guys who still apply poly like it's 1975 and get shitty finishes and STILL won't just dilute their shit and wipe it.

When a person's only reason for doing shit the old way is "what - you can't do it this harder, more labor intensive way that produces the same result?" - that person's a dumbass.

Torx until a demonstrably better drive become more widely available. Anyone using Phillips in a high torque application is a dumbass, period.
>>
File: DS212-215-18vSawhorse_small.jpg (133KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
DS212-215-18vSawhorse_small.jpg
133KB, 500x375px
>>1146572
'sup
>>
>>1145414
>you're a little late
Not that late... where was he buried?
>>
File: screwdrivers[1].jpg (46KB, 540x377px) Image search: [Google]
screwdrivers[1].jpg
46KB, 540x377px
>>1145402
the others who invented the fancy ones deserve it more
>>
>slotted
>easiest type to manufacture
>screwdriver size doesn't have to be as accurate
>screwdriver doesn't slip, which means the screws are almost impossible to damage

How did Philips do so well?
And why do people still use it?
>>
>>1147101
Slotted would be perfect if they didn't have god damn open ends. Just make the slot closed on both ends, it's not that fucking hard.
>>
>>1147101
Do electrical work for a day and you'll know why

Suddeny you have to hold the screwdriver at a perfect 90* or else you'll get a goddamnit

Constantly walking out
>>
>>1147111
Or have a screwdriver that has bumps on the edges, so it can't slide fully out without snagging.
>>
File: hexbest.jpg (41KB, 772x559px) Image search: [Google]
hexbest.jpg
41KB, 772x559px
Dont worry Phillips, you can take care of the fasteners in children's toys, drywall, and the other gay shit.Big Hex will take care of the rest

>>1147101
>pro-slotted
what kind of monster are you, do you even use fasteners?
>>
want to screw a torx
>have to search throught 25 different sizes you need once a year
>the bit you need most of the time is missing
>use a size bigger or smaler it strips

want to screw a cross head
>is it ph or pz
>take one of the 3 bits large medium or smal
>doesnt strip
>>
>>1147111
While they're at it they should make it an 'X' instead of a '+'.
>>
>>1147348
This the the reason hex is best. I have to pull screws like that pictured all day, and you can't get a torx bit into there. Even if I could find a right-angle torx, it'd be too long to fit in.
>>
File: 1485130727320.png (48KB, 400x389px) Image search: [Google]
1485130727320.png
48KB, 400x389px
>>1146572
>"building" a "house" out of wood
>>
>>1147907
>implying
You could easily make a ball end torx.
>>
>>1146001
>poorfags not able to edcucate themseves on the naming of screwdriver bits.

You can donate to help those poor children getting education at poster-is-a-faggot.com. (Does not apply for american patients as their education is beyond repair.)
>>
>>1146217
There's only one place where it's called that way retarded mongool.
>>
>>1147921
>
>>
>>1148061
Well there you go.
>>
>>1147945
wat een achterlijke kankerlijder is het toch ook he
>>
>>1146777
I work in electronics as well, and I can tell you that 90% of people I have worked with agree that people who use "star drive" are typically incompetent faggots who don't know the difference between a torx and an Allen key.
>>
>>1147918

Yeah... It's not 1690...
>>
>>1145402
I use nut drivers for anything that needs to be put in fast. You'd have to be a fucking idiot to strip phillips on something you were trying to assemble carefully.
>>
File: security phillips.jpg (25KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
security phillips.jpg
25KB, 400x400px
>there are people on /diy/ that haven't converted to the Church of Torx
smgdhtbqhwyf
>>
>>1145430
this anon is right. phillips head screws were designed for factory production before torque limiters existed.

back then, because the machines didnt know when to stop, the driver was spring loaded and allowed to cam out of the fastener. yes, it damaged the screw head a very often, but this was desirable over a broken fastener or machine, or even manual production.

nowadays since we have torque limiters, phillips head screws are mostly obsolete.
>>
>>1145414
>>1145402
I live within 2 blocks of the family here in Portland, OR. Come visit the Lair Hill neighborhood to make all your punching dreams come true.
>>
>>1145816
Tfw masterrace
>>
File: IMG_9023.png (18KB, 350x200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9023.png
18KB, 350x200px
>/diy/ is just memes now

RIP 4chan
>>
>>1146226
for $10 at harbor freight you can get a set of security bits
>>
>>1145816
More love for Robertson from over here!
>>
>>1146209
Poz my screw hole
>>
>>1146226
take a punch and knock the center out...Profit
Thread posts: 106
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.