[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how easy is plastering ? what are the main bullet point essentials

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

how easy is plastering ?

what are the main bullet point essentials i need to know before i go looking through shitty video tutorials ?
>>
>>1145277
you need two hands, preferably bigger than 2 inches
>>
>>1145277
Real, honest to God plastering? It's a skilled trade, not something you're going to just pick up right away and do like a pro. It's not impossible, but it'll take practice.
>>
>>1145277
plastering isn't complicated, but you have to work to the pace of the mud so if you're doing a big ceiling and the mud is drying fast, shit gets frantic.
you really want a second guy doing the mixing and washing-up and running around so you can concentrate on the trowel, float and feather edge.

main bullet point essentials:
if the wall isn't sound, you need to fix that first! don't plaster over growing cracks, damp patches, missing bricks, rotten lath or loose electrical wires!
ok
>mix up some mud
>slap the wet mud on the wall
>smear it flat before it goes too hard to push around
>as it stiffens you can polish the surface of the mud smooth
>throw away the extra mud mix that's gone too hard
>wash all your tools before the mud stuck to them goes rock hard
>don't let those little hard bits get into your next mix
>>
as someone who just plastered his whole bathroom

it is not easy at all, prepare to get swollen finger joints for at least 2 weeks
>>
>>1145277
>how easy is plastering

It isn't. At all. That's why plasterers make good money. It's also why drywall tapers for some reason put themselves on the same pedestal but the two are not the same.

I tried it once. Never again.
>>
Plastering is fucking easy, anyone can do it. I did my whole fucking house with no prior knowledge and it came out fine so how hard can it be for anyone else?
>>
>>1145588

Disregard this post Op. Don't waste your time and money by listening to liars.
>>
>>1145608
One man's "fine" is other man's "absolute trash".
>>
>>1145620
Too fuckin true unfortunately.
>>
Can i plaster over paint? Had a room in the house converted from a kitchen <former duplex> into a bedroom and all new drywall but it looks like shit because they just taped the joints and left.
>>
Did large parts of my house when I fixed it up. It's one of those skills that's easy to learn, but hard to master. Since I was going to put wallpaper over it my results were acceptable, but if you are going for a perfectly smooth finish leave it to the professionals.
>>
>>1145714
>Can i plaster over paint?

Normally, yes. Although you'll need to make sure any flaking or loose paint is removed, and you may need to key the surface. Generally thought plastic sticks like shit to a blanket.
>>
took me a good few years to get good at it but its not hard as long as you have the time and patience when you start out.
t. plasterer
>>
>>1145734
seal everything with watered down PVA
the only thing you dont need to seal it plasterboard.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.