[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any off gridders that can tell me what it's like? I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: FB_IMG_1489244362483.jpg (9KB, 400x424px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1489244362483.jpg
9KB, 400x424px
Any off gridders that can tell me what it's like?

I'm a city boy but I always wanted to buy a small piece of land and live in my cottage and grow my food

>pic unrelated
>>
>>1144602
they're not here. internet is on-grid.
>>
>>1144605
Really? I saw a couple living in the depths of Alaska and they have internet. They got some signal boosters or something
>>
>>1144602
it requires a huge capital investment and a broad skillset.
>>
>>1144612
Tbh it seems like a small price to pay. I'd be my own man, i'd know what I'm eating. I could take calm walks thru nature and spend days tending to my garden. City life is making me depressed, i enjoy isolation more than anything
>>
>>1144619
how much money do you have?
>>
>>1144621
I'm a poorfag but I could make a nice amount as a chef, especially during the summer since my city is one of the most visited european destinations
>>
>>1144622
come back when you have at least 30k$ (thats absolute bare minimum for a turbo shitty cuck shed).
>>
>>1144622
>european
lol good luck finding land.
>>
>>1144625
Idk I already have land, on one side it's a plain and on the other a forest, seems like a good place for a cozy isolated cottage. Since it's land that I inherited, I can take down the trees too, right?

I know its not easy or cheap, I'm fine with a few years project, I just want to make it good and hopefully settle down there
>>
>>1144629
> I already have land
well in that case, you are 90% done. get a well drilled and have a septic tank installed.

just building a cottage is actually the easiest and cheapest part.
>>
>>1144602
Does being homeless count as off grid?
>>
>>1144602
you will die
>>
>>1144602

It costs more to be an off grider. You off set it by living a lower quality lifestyle.

There's a reason offgriders look rustic or a shanty town.
>>
>>1144607
Off the grid means no electric wiring.
If your place doesn't have electric wiring the only way you can get internet is via satellite (and yous till need to produce your own electricity)
That requires you to make money somewhere, ether by coming back to civilisation to sell stuff or to have a richfag plan making money by itself (like a flat to rent).
The former is excruciating because it's hard making a lot of money off of what you can grow/build/gather/hunt while simultaneously doing that for survival. The latter is comfy but requires initial dosh and negates one of the first reasons people head off the grid in the first place, disconnexion from big brother.

Half the people on imageboards are actually quite infatuated to a regular internet connexion, if it's you case it's not for you.
>>
>>1144629
Listen son, you might as well move to the country then and start a farm and focus on output and profit. What are you going to accomplish dicking around in the wilderness feeding yourself instead of making money and feeding yourself with it?
>>
I honestly think most of the off grid wet dream comes from people who either find it too hard to hold a job or to interact with people on a normal basis. Or nut jobs who think the government is gunning for them.

It takes a special type of person to actually got through with it and be content.

Oh, and meth labs. Since the PoCo tracks and reports big spikes in usage and generators are loud, attracting attention in a city that has power.
>>
>>1144622
Where from ?
>>
>>1147686
>nut jobs who think the government is gunning for them.

Worst thing to do. Your life is put into the land and they can reposes it/kick you off.

City people can take their cash and run from their crappy apartment anytime, and set up in another city/country.
>>
>>1147588
>Off the grid means no electric wiring.
No. Off-grid means you source your own means of electricity/heating/lighting.

Basically you become self dependent for your electricity needs.
>>
>>1144629
>I can take down the trees too
that totally depends on which country we are talking about. often you are going to need a permit to cut down trees
>>
>>1144602
There is a dude doing a blog on setting up it infrastructure off grid. Essentially, he torrents/downloads everything to a private server he has running at a friend/vps for low costs, then download everything via sftp during the night. He also had to set up directional repeater at the neighbour's house, since the cable company didn't want to dig/pole over long distance to his farm, iirc.

I am setting aside money for covering digging costs in case i have to. I work in IT, so stable broadband is a must. Luckily, Switzerland is pretty well covered, so probably there will be no need for that. If you buy land, do your research ahead. If only satellite option exists, try it for 4 months in your home, then decide. Look into setting up a microserver at a friend, ask/pay for help if you have to. Dell propane gen 8 e.g. covers a lot of people's needs. They you can download during the night from there to your home, and add torrents via ssh whenever you must.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.