[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can exposed plywood furniture actually look good, or is it just

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

File: exposed plywood.jpg (38KB, 564x317px) Image search: [Google]
exposed plywood.jpg
38KB, 564x317px
Can exposed plywood furniture actually look good, or is it just a meme perpetuated by pinterest moms/interior design magazines/Adobe Lightroom professionals?
>>
I think it looks ok, but I'm a bit of a minimalist.
>>
yeah it's pretty much only acceptable in certain modern/minimalist aesthetics. Otherwise snooty people recognize that it's most directly building material, not choice stock
>>
>>1144313
better ply than OSB. Everywhere.
>>
It depends on the rest of your room. There's an aesthetic that it works for that's about celebrating the use of what used to be mass production techniques for boutique furniture that is interesting but you need to go all out for those pieces to not look out of place.
>>
>>1144324

Disgusting.

About plywood, I like the look of the layers in cross section. Light stain and poly the fuck out of it to mirror shine, can look okay. Not something I would build for myself though.
>>
>>1144324
I saw this picture and literally said "Oh my god" that thing looks ugly as shit
>>
>>1144313
Yes. Its called expensive veneers... You can have a 1 inch ply table top covered in a rich black ebony veneer for a couple of hundred dollars. And it won't ever warp or move on you. And sure as hell beat buying thousands of dollars in ebony rift sawn lumber.
>>
>>1144324
That looks like some late 90s vidya with shitty textures.
>>
>>1144403
^this
>>
>>1144313

It sure can...Baltic birch is the stuff you want, comes in 5x5 or 4x8 sheet, no voids in the plys so it won't look like shit...

I use the stuff all the time for drawers for my kitchens/vanities/desks...
>>
>>1144324
that is one sweet shed
>>
>>1144313
no
>>
>>1144394
That's not exposed then. He means bare, not even varnish or edge banding.
>>
>>1144313
>actually look good
Well if you have bad taste anything can look good.
>>
>>1144324
GOOD LORD

>muh daily 2 hour splinter pull.

Fuck
>>
>>1144324
looks like silent hill
0/10
>>1144458
kek'd
>>
>>1144324
> add layers and layers of clear coat
> now just liveable
>>
>>1144394
Veneers mean that it's not exposed.
>>
File: 18mm.jpg (45KB, 531x411px) Image search: [Google]
18mm.jpg
45KB, 531x411px
>>1144935
>>
>>1144326
This, pressed plywood chairs are really about as far as plywood got as a finishing wood
>>
>>1144324
gross

I mean maybe as a hunting shack or something, but still, gross
>>
>>1144326
So basically if the whole setting doesn't fit, floor/walls/ceilings and all, then plywood furniture looks like some cheap shit you knocked together to save on having to buy anything?
>>
>>1145180
add not very healthy to that list
>>
>>1144313
Can look amazing or disgusting. Personally I like when raw construction-like materials are mixed with noble ones.
>>
What about doing it like pic related. Plywood veneers exposed but with finish veneers on the outer?
>>
>>1146041
I think this looks kind of cool actually
>>
>>1146041
I tried to make a little thing in that style once, but the ply was full of holes like you can see in the brown layer on the top there. I needed furniture quality wood, then there's the problem of sanding the ends of it, the dark wood will stain the lighter wood so you'll need to carefully sand it in one direction.

A fuckin hassle but pretty
>>
>>1146041
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fXtzfnT9smM

Very cool exemples here
>>
>>1146041
You need nice quality play to pull that off. Most plywood has very loose grains and fibers and will splinter trying to get that smooth without gaping slits.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.