[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>people claim diy is cheaper than buying >forget last that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 130
Thread images: 17

File: IMG_0292.jpg (85KB, 622x459px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0292.jpg
85KB, 622x459px
>people claim diy is cheaper than buying
>forget last that you have to spend 3 grand on tools
>for one project and never touch them again
>finished product doesn't look nearly as good as shitty chink product with even shoddier construction and workmanship

When will the diy is cheaper and better meme end?
>>
>>1143999
You must be new here, cause you haven't figured out that none of this ever ends, and your here forever...

And as someone who has spent the last 25 years as a cabinetmaker, my shit looks far better than the chink shit...

Good try though...2/10...
>>
>>1143999
It depends on skills, evidently op don't have any so he is just blaming China.

Sad.
>>
>>1144004
Obviously I'm not talking about professional cabinet makers I'm talking about your average noob amateur diyer
>>
>>1144005
>blaming china
Learn2read/10
>>
>>1143999
>3 grand on tools

lol
>>
>>1144007
Learn2diy/rekt
>>
>>1144009
Yeah no shit. How else are you gonna build your shitty plywood table without a table saw, planer, hand sanders, a drill press, router, some hand drills, shit were already up to a few grand right there for quality ones. Meanwhile I've already went to Sam levits and picked up a finished table for cheaper that much better quality then whatever your average diyer can throw together
>>
>>1143999

This applies to some cases, not all cases. Also money is not the only motivating factor - sometimes you need something done better and/or in a more specific fashion than what you'd get from a supplier or service. It's like asking why learn to cook for yourself when it's easier to have someone else do it for you. Gonna spend all that money on pots and pans and shit and since you've never done it before you're gonna fuck it up and waste the food you could've easily bought from mcdonalds...
>>
>>1143999

>forget you use those tools over and over again and spread that $3000 investment over dozens of projects.
>>
File: drill stand.jpg (193KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
drill stand.jpg
193KB, 1600x1200px
>3 grand on tools
Disregard tool shills, aquire skills.

I'm still using a $45 corded B&D variable speed drill I bought from malwart 20 years ago. I've replumbed my entire house, installed baseboard heaters, moved my water heater and tub, built several shed bases and numerious shelves and other projects, and generally abused the thing using it in one of those drill holding drill presses. It's louder than it used to be because I milled with it. Still gets the job done.
Also still using a Skil saw I bought around the same time, for about the same price. Have to use a wrench for height adjustment because the handle broke off a couple years ago. Slill gets er done.

Meanwhile, a friend of mine has about 5 grand in his tools.
Matco ratcheting wrenches, ect. He even wears pretentious mechanix gloves. He doesn't have enough sense to figure out how to use a ball joint press he got and about destroyed the thing before he asked for my help and I had to show him, having never seen one.

If you think DIY is about collecting tools, and taking pride in them, DIY is probably not for you really, get a glass case to display the things.
DIY is about doing a lot with a little, using ingenuity.
DIY is about saving money or making something better.
DIY is about reducing merchant shekels, not supporting them.
>>
>>1143999
I guess its do what you do best and pay for the rest.
Common since go's a long way in life.
>>
>>1143999
You don't DIY because it is cheaper. You DIY because you love doing it. If you don't love doing it you are in the wrong place.
>>
Pretty sure /diy/ analyzes the practicality threshold and tells you to buy something when you're over your head

What a waste of thread space
>>
File: IMG_5451.jpg (112KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5451.jpg
112KB, 1280x720px
>>1144013
>using power tools
>>
>>1144031
This guy gets it
>>
>>1143999
If you're buying every tool you need to complete one job you're not even a DIYer and you shouldn't be on this board.

Most jobs I face either at work or home, of its something new will incur the cost of a new tool of some sort, for ease if not necessity but if you have jack all you're on the wrong board, honestly.
>>
>>1144013
>table saw not circular saw
>planer on plywood
>hand sanders costing more than $50 and not just using a sanding block
>a drill press and not just a $30 electric drill
>router for a shitty plywood table

>quality tools for first time project

Also you are aware you can use tools more than once, right? Plus tools hold their resale value pretty well if you find out you hate it. They hold 100% of their retail value if you just return them after you are done using them.
>>
>>1144006
>Obviously I'm not talking about professional cabinet makers I'm talking about your average noob amateur diyer

Well I'd wager that many who start have an ambition to not stay a shitty noob for the rest of their existence.
>>
File: inception.png (116KB, 366x378px) Image search: [Google]
inception.png
116KB, 366x378px
>>1144013
>How else are you gonna build your shitty plywood table without a table saw, planer, hand sanders, a drill press, router, some hand drills
>>
>>1144021
That's 100% bullshit an you know it. Your average joe buys all these tools thinking, 'well golly gee I could use these a whole load of projects, when in reality they do one project to 75% and those tools never see the light of day again
>>
>>1143999
you can check out any time you like...
but you can never leave!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>1144113

It's almost like you're just projecting your own bad diy experiences.
>>
>>1144097
>$30 electric drill
$30 ain't a bad price for a drill but shit, I got $12 ones at the much 'dreaded' harbor freight that have been great. they also sell a less than $20 trim router that's pretty darn decent. I just leave a 1/4" roundover bit in there for all my edge work.
>>
>>1144113
well then that person found out they aren't into /diy/. while there may be others who find out they like it, find out they're pretty good at it and go on to do bigger and better things.
>>
>>1144021
I'm sure all together I've spent that much and more... but spread out over 25+ years (I started at about 8 or 9 years old in my dad's shop with the 'big boy' power tools. used the small power tools and hand tools before that). and have done a lot of projects/repairs etc over that time as well. plan to continue building/repairing things into retirement as well.
>>
>>1144126
also tools, good ones, will get passed down from fathers to sons (maybe daughters) if the sons/daughters turn out to have any skills and interest. I inherited a bunch of great old tools from my grandfather and will inherit even more stuff from my father. I will teach my son and daughter how to build and repair things. if either of them show aptitude and interest then they will get all the tools eventually.
also check garage and estate sales for good old tools for dirt cheap. there's no reason for just a few hundred bucks one could get enough tools to start building or repairing things.
>>
Buy used shop tools. The older the better. I've seen plenty of tools going on my local Craig's List for a fraction of retail. I paid $50 for a 15-inch drill press with a 1/2 HP motor. Not some Asian hunk of shit either. I got a Rockwell/Delta 10 inch table saw with a 2 HP motor for $50. A 1960's Craftsman 6-inch jointer fo $40. A very nice 1/2 HP grinder with stand and extra wheels for $75. Hell, one dude gave me a DeWalt compound miter saw for free because the motor was "blown out". All it had was a bad contact inside the power switch. The most I have ever paid for a tool is %140 and that was for a very nice metal cutting bandsaw on a stand.
>>
>>1144133
>also tools, good ones, will get passed down from fathers to sons (maybe daughters) if the sons/daughters turn out to have any skills and interest

Yup. I took on a bunch of my fathers tools, and we operate a "pool" of tools between any of the (competent) family members who need them.
>>
File: smug12.png (349KB, 477x530px) Image search: [Google]
smug12.png
349KB, 477x530px
>>1144043

Even based Paul uses an electric drill sometimes.
>>
>>1143999
>taking on a project that requires 3 grand in tools without expecting to use any of them again
>>
>>1144013
>table saw
>planer
>hand sanders
>drill press
>router
>to build a shitty table

nigga all you need is a handheld circular saw, a drill (if you want to use screws and not nails), and wood. You dont need all that shit to build a shitty work bench.
>>
>>1144013
Clearly you have no idea what you are talking about. All of that can be done with a drill, handsaw, miterbox and some screws. You have been watching to many hipster diy shows.
>>
>>1143999
If your shit doesn't look as good as cheap shit when you're done, then you're lazy. If you spend big money on tools you don't need, then you're stupid.

And if you're lazy and stupid, maybe DIY isn't the hobby for you.

Or... stop being a lazy dirtbag and if you do something wrong, do it again, correctly; and stop letting instant gratification control your buying habits - there's a way to get around every "need" for a tool.
>>
>>1144043
Does that man even work for a living anymore? I mean, he makes cash from selling books, tool endorsements and advertising.

If you don't use power tools, all your shit will be super-expensive. Good luck trying to sell it.
>>
Also have to add - DIY is considerably cheaper if you're not a child about buying tools.

E.g. last week my washing machine agitator stopped spinning. Googled it. All signs pointed to coupler. Checked and yep, coupler. $5 part. The replacement process required a screwdriver. $5, for what would have been a $70 visit from a repair guy.

The only scenario where DIY doesn't cone out as less than half the cost of paying someone else to do it is niche hobbies, and even then the thing that costs less is probably a piece of shit.

There's not a lot you can't do with the tools you can get from a few garage sales for $50 total. You gotta lose the thrill of buying tools - that's what's costing you so much. (Otoh, people doing that is why I have a wood shop decked out with high-end tools I bought used at HF prices.)
>>
>>1144251
For making your own shit, it doesn't matter much. Yeah, there's things that power tools are great at. But for many it's just to make the work less labor intensive. Jointers, for example. Idk why so many people got terrified of their #7s, but unless you've got seriously jacked up wood, I'll be done planing by the time you have your earplugs in, goggles on, dust collector running, machine set, pencil marks done, and are making your first pass.

This holds true for a lot of shit. Routers are definitely one power tool to learn and love - they destroy doing it by hand. But a lot of shit - jointers, mortisers, meh.

I still abuse the hell out of my Makita miter saw, my flex shaft, and my oscillating tool. I'm not anti-power, I just used them for years and when I started getting a little better at hand tools I had a rude awakening about how many power tools should only be in production facilities.

Idk - my jointer is gathering dust and I'm probably a little salty balks over what a waste of time and money they are.
>>
File: 0204151457.jpg (493KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
0204151457.jpg
493KB, 1280x960px
I'll agree with OP. 12 years in residential carpentry and we're always replacing people's DIY handywork. Never forget this rich finance guy was so pround of his crown moulding job. EVERY PIECE WAS 4 FEET LONG AND BUTTED TOGETHER WITH NO SCARF JOINT! But to debate myself there's a whole bunch of DIY out there that we never have to replace because someone took the time to do it right. But having a skilled tradesmen do it professionally is probably cheaper than investing in the tools, making the mistakes fixing them, and dealing with headaches.
>>
>>1144270
Built the seating, table, and cabinet it sits against in a week or so. long time ago, much to forget.
>>
>>1144013
>then whatever your average diyer
you know the average LoL player is bronze league?

you also know the average GPA of a college grad is below 3.0?

when you say "average" what you really mean is "shitters".
>>
File: IMG_20170312_210547.jpg (1MB, 4656x3492px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170312_210547.jpg
1MB, 4656x3492px
>>1144018
I thought it was a good analogy even if no one else did.
>>
>>1144042
yeah, the half of the board that knows shit, says this all the time

then the other half of /diy/ chimes in

>buyfag
or
>but this is /diy/
>>
>>1143999
All of that only applies if you're unskilled and you only DIY one thing.

If you're a skilled and experienced DIY'er, you're going to have the tools you need already, and you're going to know how to make it work/look good.

Your viewpoint is from someone who clearly doesn't DIY, in which case you shouldn't even be here.
>>
>>1143999
DIY isn't about saving money you prideless halfwit
>>
>>1144006
thats an awfully childish way of looking at things. most adults have enough self awareness to know they don't posses the necessary skills to do a job and hire a professional or learn, and i can respect that. the will to better yourself and the humility to call someone when you're out of your depth. what i can't respect is your stupid fucking post though and blanket generalizing oxymoronic statement that your "average diyer" is a newbie.

go chew some glass
>>
>>1144013
table saw $50
planer - idiot
hand sanders $5
a drill press - youre a fucking idiot
router - for what purpose?
some hand drills - plural? $20 each

source: swap meets/second hand markets
>>
>>1143999
>3 grand on tools
where in the fuck did you get that number?

Let me break this shed down for you:
>circular saw
$60 new. $20 used. Mine was $5 used.
>drill
$60 new. $20 used. Mine was $40 new on sale, came with about 50 drill bits and a case
>drill bits
They're like a dollar each
>Hammer
easily under $20
>square
$9.99 for a new one
>measuring tape
$20 for a fancy new one

You're at $175. Plus the cost of materials, which you'd have to pay for anyways if you hire a contractor.
>>
Funny how when the price of tools comes up suddenly /diy/ are all master trash pickers who all got a full shop worth of tools for only $5. Guess you gotta look good for the other dudes in your echo chamber, too embarrassed to say how much you really spent or that you have no tools at all lol
>>
>>1144507
Half my tools still have the price written on masking tape if you really care that much. We're all master trash pickers because we aren't fucking retards. There's tools at garage sales all the time. Also, flea markets are a great place to get tools. If you leave your house every once in a while, you might notice some things.

Pic related is a search for "circular saw" on kijiji. Keep in mind you can haggle all these prices
>>
>>1144480
>Table saw
>$50

You can't get a decent second hand third generation skill saw for that.
>>
>>1144507
>suddenly /diy/ are all master trash pickers
>suddenly
>>
There's an awful lot of bitter in this thread. Did /diy/ laugh at your buried shipping container thread OP? Awww.
>>
>>1144520
>https://denver.craigslist.org/tls/6032102108.html

yeah you can. look harder.
>>
>>1143999
Is this bait?
>>
>>1144036

I sometimes /diy/ only for two reasons

1 - Cheaper from the get go
2 - I have often had to fix the pro's work
>>
>>1143999
You can get a basic set of tools for less than $100 at yard sales and flea markets and then you have them for life.
>>
my dad gave me all his tools when he switched to condo life

i have everything i need to build a house stored in my garage with my mad max vehicle collection
>>
>>1144529
You ignored the part where I said decent. Not a $70 rust bucket that'll cost $100 in new belts, bearings and no end of time fucking about with it to get that arbor wobble fixed.
>>
File: RoyatLunch.jpg (84KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
RoyatLunch.jpg
84KB, 800x600px
>>1144043
aye!
>>
>>1144280
True. That's more of an "average person" trait, though. Most people can't just say "Well, I fucked THAT up. What did I do right? What did I fuck up How can I unfuck it?". Those 4 sentences can make you good at anything.
>>
>>1144100
You don't know millenials
>>
>>1144507
A bunch of my tools came from my father-in-law upgrading his shit and making room in his garage. Yard sales, craigslist, and ebay all exist.
>>
>>1144850
So you got cucked by your step dad. You probably licked his hand prints off all the handles
>>
>>1144659
Either you are willing to invest in good tools or you aren't. It's that simple. Sometimes investing means money, others it means time in getting them back up to snuff. You simply aren't going to find an awesome tool in awesome shape at an awesome price. Generally, it's a "pick two" situation.

The thing is, though, if you are into DIY, fixing the tools up isn't a chore. It's half the reason you are doing it. Finding an awesome old tool and fixing it up is every bit as satisfying as then using that same tool to make a nice project.

The issue you have is your asshole is so tight you whistle when you fart. It is not all about money. Like I said before if doing things as cheaply as humanly possible is your goal you are doing it wrong. DIY is simply not your thing. Just leave the board. As the sign clearly shows, you are not welcome here.
>>
>>1144872
Now you're moving the goal posts. You're either getting tools cheap as dirt or you're getting tools that are as cheap as dirt that require time and money spent on them to make them useable.

As far as spending money goes, you're preaching to the choir. It was my point in the first place, you're not going to get anything worth while without spending money, and after using my fair share of table and cabinet saws, if you're spending under $100 on anything, it's garbage.

To reiterate, either your argument is you can get decent tools for low cost, or you can get the remnants of what was once an ok tool and get it up to scratch by spending more money on it when you've got it. You can't have it both ways.

>Cheaply as possible
There's a difference between not spending anything and saving money where possible. I'm not sure if you're confusing me for someone else on the thread but I've spent more than enough over the years to warrant my opinion on what's worth while and what's not.
>>
>>1144865
>step dad
Do you not know what a father-in-law is? Oh right, you don't have anyone who loves you so you don't.
>>
>>1144252
Yeah. I get home appliances for free because "dis not work", I haven't ever bought a dishwasher for example. If they are fixable I fix them and use, if not I just throw them away (to the recycling, mind you!).

Another saver is a car. I buy shit old scrapheaps because I know I can fix them. Saves money and I don't need to watch out for damages in rough terrain as they are shabby to start with.

>>1144270
My wife who used to work with disabled people. She hung around with people with spinal cord injuries, and she got the feeling that "everyone" has some sort of disability as she was mostly dealing with people like that. Obviously it isn't true and she knew it but the feeling was still so very strong.
So there is a certain bias seen here, as is with the "I repair the pro's work"-people.
And yes, I stopped servicing my car a long time ago at professionals after they fucked it :).

But I do have to admit. I'm going to build a workshop/garage/whatever and I do believe it will never pay itself back. I just want to have a place to do projects that is warm and secured from the elements. It will be expensive and a money pit. This part is going to be "for the love of DIY".
>>
>>1144507
>>1144514
Hand tools I buy new. And with hand tools I mean shit like screwdrivers, ratchet wrenches, circular saws, drills and whatnot. Unless they are stupidly expensive like my hilti (which was incidentally free).
Table saw, drill press, welders and the like are bought used. They can be stupidly expensive, and neeeed to be 3~ because fuck 240V. 400V yay!
>>
>>1144937
>being this triggered
>>
>>1144481
>>measuring tape
>$20 for a fancy new one
whoa thar big spender!!! $20 for a tape. measure. ?!?!
HF is your friend! often free (with coupon) or ~$5 for a 25ft. I have a bunch of them (many are the free ones). only one of them has broken and that was after several years of use and then the little ones got a hold of it and bent it all up. I didn't care b'cuz FREE! and there are always more to get for free.
>>
>>1144507
>Guess you gotta look good for the other dudes in your echo chamber, too embarrassed to say how much you really spent or that you have no tools at all
what is wrong with you?
>>
>>1144561
yeah I'm sure it is. no one can be this dumb (or bitter about nothing)... errrr oh wait...
>>
>>1144936
>you're not going to get anything worth while without spending money
?! I find great stuff for dirt cheap all the time at garage/estate sales! you forget, often people do buy fancy large tools (table saws n such) new and use them a few times and then they sit. the person eventually gets old and dies. later the tools end up in an estate sale for pennies on the dollar and for all practical purposes they are still 99.9% new.
I also find that since les and less people are interested in fixing/building things themselves anymroe there is less and less competition at these sales to grab all this stuff up and also since less poeple interested in grabbing up these tools they estate sale people just keep knocking the rice down to just get rid of them. its win win win for me anyway.
>>
>>1145088
Ive never found myself in a situation similar. Tools that are good always fetch good money and it's all down to what you consider decent. It's very rare I find tools for sale for anything less than what they're worth.
>>
>>1145088
to add to that. I once got a barely used radial arm saw from an old woman I used to work with. she knew I did remodeling and fix up work in my free time and when her hubby died she was stuck with this saw and she didn't want her 'inept' son to hurt himself trying to use it. I sure as heck went and picked it up. its been great. and it was free.
in another case and old woodworker was downsizing and sold me a large band saw on a stand with a bunch of spare blades and everything. again it was in tip top condition and I got it cheap cheap cheap. I use it all the time now and over many years and have had zero problems with it. score!
>>
>>1145091
where do you live? that sucks. I'm in metro Chicago area - I find great cheap stuff all the time - I actually had to stop going to garage/estate sales as I was collecting too much stuff. I just couldn't pass up a great deal when I saw it. years ago I picked up a old very heavy duty 240v radial arm saw that really was in brand new condition. was $75. I mean this thing is built like a tank and weighs a shit ton - was a bitch and a half to get out of that basement. again a situation where a guy bought it new *maybe* used it a few times and then it sat for aloooong time. guy died, estate sale. not many 'tool hounds' show up and the price goes down down down.
>>
>>1143999
why dont you own at least 3 grand worth of tools?

>>1144013
a 2$ hacksaw
>a 3$ pack of screws/nails
>you own a drill right? dont tell me you dont own a drill? you at least own a screwdriver right? a hammer?
>ok 1$ for a hammer
>free pallets
>put it together
>paint it with cheap white paint to glue the splinters together instead of sanding it
its not expensive. its just expensive to not have a piece of shit pallet table.

>>1144514
true
>30yo set of spanners
>they're not rusty
>they've been used and show wear
>its not a piece of shit wallmart set
>it's 30$ for a set of 6-21mm and 1/4 up through to 1-1/2"
>10mm isnt original but thats ok lol
sold!
>>
>>1145083
>tfw no HF in Canada

And my point is you can go all out on some of these tools while still coming in well under $3000 for a shed
>>
>>1144268
>jointer
had to look up what one was, so a planar... ok, had to look up cost and fuck me, could not see the use in that unless you make wood shit all the fucking time and this legitimately saves you more time then its worth.
>>
>>1144018
literally everyone knows how to cook, and has some cookware, you have to be legitimately retarded to not be able to cook, but your point is the same.

made pancakes from scratch a few days ago.

burnt the first one, burnt and undercooked the second one, third one was getting there, 4th - 8th one were better than I ever had storebought.
>>
>>1144113
well lets see here, if the fucker is buying 3000$ worth of tools and has nothing planned out, he is retarded.

Im personally looking into building my own computer desk and am in the process of sourcing tools. this thread got me to think, instead of the circular saw, i could use the jigsaw, and then use a harbor freight router to fix the edges, that way I don't have to deal with a circular saw.

but the most i need for tools is something power to cut as my hands are to shit to use a hand saw... maybe a japanese one could work but likely not
a drill
a rotary tool (so i can biscuit join the wood before I drill in aluminum supports.
and a drill...
may need a circular saw or a arm saw if I made it just out of 2x4's or something, but because its mostly going to be mdf, that need is out the window.
>>
>>1144571
your putting in carbonates for some dumb fuck, you are a pro paid by the hour, now do you put them in right, or do you take an hour long break and jerk off and half ass the shit and charge full?

going through our house, we see where they half assed all the fucking time.

At least when we repair the shit, we do it right.
>>
>>1144031
My nigga.
>>
>>1143999
3grand on tools? you trying to build your own car or something? my whole workshop didn't cost me that much.
>>
>>1145095
UK. I've built up a little workshop just for hobby work at home with second hand tools. All the stuff I use for work I buy new anyway because of warranty and downtime.

But I mean I've got a 14" bandsaw, 12" jointer thicknesser combination, 12" sliding mitre saw, 18" radial drill press and a dust extractor and im currently on about £2000. That's excluding things like track saw, biscuit jointer, sanders, routers etc. All second hand and not exactly the best of the best but decent enough.
>>
File: tumblr_lsq77nQWCE1qzt8poo1_500.jpg (163KB, 439x640px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lsq77nQWCE1qzt8poo1_500.jpg
163KB, 439x640px
>>1144865
>step-dad
>father-in-law
You're fucking retarded.

>cucked
>free tools
You're fucking retarded.
>>
>>1145202
I bought a joiner/planer from a fellow woodworker for $50. its an old built like a tank model. NO PLASTIC on it anywhere. probably from the 50s or 60s. works fine.
>>
>>1145250
true true true... many "professionals" are not professional acting or professional when they work. they are tired of working for other people and as said just half ass it to "git 'er done" ASAP so they can hit the pub on the way home... I mean unless you are very careful when hiring and check refs and look at past work etc. but how many take the time for that?
there are of course very highly skilled craftsmen but you have to look to find 'em. the majority are just jokers who just want to get out of there as fast as possible. its not their house and the owner most likely doesn't know shit so just half ass and be done with it.
>>
>>1143999
>3 grand on tools
>not just using a haw for everything
>>
Why are some people so terrified of genuine effort?

OP here is obviously a failed troll, but a lot of the posters in this thread aren't. Someone steps up and says "hey check this out, I made a thing myself with some tools I found at a garage sale," and immediately someone has to jump in and say "no you CAN'T DO THAT!"

It's like if they aren't willing to put in the effort to learn how to make something, then no one can. If you buy all of your tools for full price at the Sears, then everyone else HAS to do that.

Conversely people who DIY don't need to always get so worked up about how awesome their free tool that they dragged out of the Manhattan river is, and trying to shoo away everyone who bought a full price table saw at home depot. Just share in the experience of doing things with your hands, for fucks sake.
>>
>>1145416
that is a good buy, but i'm looking at ones that start somewhere around 600$ for anything useful, rather do it by hand.
>>
>buy $3000 of tools
>use them all the time
>have a lot of fun

nigga it's a hobby. If you don't like it, pay someone else to do it.
>>
>3k in tools
>2007+10
>not having your own shop where you can fab practically anything
>not trolling craigslist for amazing deals on old machinery that is built like a brick shithouse
>>
>>1144013
Speak for yourself, fuccboi
>>
>>1145242
how would a jigsaw work for rough cutting, and following it up with a router and a planer/rasp?

a sawzall/jigsaw is way less money and upfront work to setup, and if used with care can give you a half decent result on its own.
>>
>>1145416
Ebay had some from the 10s through the early 50s #5 models ranging in price from about $25 to $80. Some of those needed very little in the way of restoration and had a $50 buy it now price.
>>
>>1143999
Did it occur to you that you might be bad at it?

>>1144013
>shitty plywood table
Literally only takes a saw, a hammer, and a measuring tape. Doesn't even have to be an electric saw if you don't mind putting in some elbow grease. Planer is only going to be involved if you're doing some fancy shaping, and I have no idea what you need a drill or router for.
>>
File: free tape.jpg (39KB, 533x161px) Image search: [Google]
free tape.jpg
39KB, 533x161px
>>1145083
got an email today and guess what - they got the coupon for the FREE tape measure again 25footer! FREE. oh, did I mention its FREE!
>>
>>1145985
not only that a potentially more versatile tool.

Honestly think it would work out pretty ok, and considering I wanted a router for a while and the desk will be a project big enough for it to make sense getting it for.
>>
>>1145985
Getting clean straight cuts with a jigsaw is a major pain. You're much better off with a circular saw. And that includes cutting fiber board.
>>
>>1143999
Like with everything you learn and make your works better with time that you put into them. I dont think its possible to just try to make something and make it perfect at the first time
>>
>>1146193
>hazard fraught
Not
Even
Once
>>
>>1145985
My Porter Cable circular saw was $59 new from Lowe's. Really doesn't get much cheaper than that, and PC may not be top of the line, but they're solid hobbyist tools.
>>
File: diycosts.png (2MB, 3000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
diycosts.png
2MB, 3000x3000px
DIY is expensive as fuck
Lets not pretend. We DIY because of how fun it is not because ti is cheap. Pic related is a very basic comparison and I have left out a TONNE of stuff you could buy
>>
>>1146449
you also included a bunch of shit that you dont need at all.

>holsters

lel
>>
>>1145288
I could literally build my own car and I have about $1700 in tools, all bought brand new. Unless you mean fabricating along with building, then I could see buying more.
>>
>>1145186
Princess Auto, homie.
>>
>>1143999
DIY isnt expensive. I build everything with a hammer and glue
>>
>>1144872
>>1144936
I'm going to chime in here.

It's simple to get awesome tools at cheap prices, but simple =/= easy or always feasible. Have to check and attend local auctions, and check craigslist daily (so you can use the "posted today" option) and check garage sale pics for tools and go there to inspect what's for sale. And these require time, diligence, and effort to pay off.

If you have the patience and put the work in, you can have high-end tools at 70% off. Some barely used, some used but maintained well.

I restore/resell tools as a hobby/secondary income. It's not difficult to get good tools, but it requires effort.

And fasteners are typically 90-95% off at garage sales.

Retiring/moving seniors and inherited houses being cleaned out by dopey guys are the most common sources of awesome finds. (e.g. $350 set of chisels for $10, $800 miter saw/stand for $75, $400 rotating sharpener for $10)

The whole "nothing good is cheap" attitude is just cognitive dissonance in defense of a method that costs more money but takes less time.
>>
>>1145202
Jointers aren't thickness planers. Companies say "jointer/planer" and they do plane a single surface, but typically when you say planer, "thickness planer" is implied.
>>
>>1146449
>>1146461
not to mention that you keep the tools for other projects and repairs around the house over many many years.
also key to DIY is customization; say you want a night stand with mirror like that but the store bought one isn't the size you want or maybe you really like a square mirror and 2 drawers on each side. then what? oh, you build it yourself (assuming you have some skills or are willing to try).
>>
>>1146449
nails, hammer, hand saw, you now have most of the desk done.

stain + wax is far better then paint.

Personally, I would rather attack the mirror to the wall rather then to the desk, so you could easily go to a good will and find something nice, or just find a mirror good enough and reframe it.

My nicer looking table just cost maybe 100$

now you want to get fancy and try engraving and chip carving, or making a nice fancy edge without a router, add in another 30-50$ for the tools to do that, either with router or without.

All in all, once planned out, maybe 3 hours of work over 4-5 days depending on how you put it together if you drag your dick.
>>
>>1146910
>stain + wax is far better then paint
Why the fuck would stain and wax if you're just going to paint over it? Are you retarded?
>>
>>1146989
not sure if you are fucking with me or not. spell check doesn't hit grammar mistakes and if you are incapable of being able to gleam meaning from context, you may want to see a doctor, you could legitimately be retarded.
>>
File: 1488079135109.webm (344KB, 426x236px) Image search: [Google]
1488079135109.webm
344KB, 426x236px
>>1147104
What I am is probably autistic. My problem lies with the fact that literally no one can manage to use then and than correctly. I choose to call out the mistakes by showing the poster how stupid their post sounds when read verbatim. And it gets worse when every single one of you illiterate fucks blame spell check or "autocorrect."
>>
I K E A E F F E C T:

you like things more when you've built/assembled them yourself
>>
>>1147110
than and then, when spoken are pretty much interchangeable to the point you use context to know what the person means, better get use to the fact next to no one really gives a single fuck about grammar online so long as the concept they are trying to get across is still understandable.

and yes, potentially severe autism.
>>
>>1147188
>b-but they're da same phonetically, b-boss
No they're not, hillbilly. They sound nothing alike, and even school children know the difference. Stop pretending that you being retarded is the norm, and fucking learn something for once.
>>
>>1144117
welcome to /do it yourself/
such a macho place
such a macho place
>>
>>1144956
> I just want to have a place to do projects that is warm and secured from the elements. It will be expensive and a money pit. This part is going to be "for the love of DIY".
comfy/10
also my dream
>>
>>1146449
>>1146461
>>1146883
>>1146910
>what is bait?
>>
>>1144031
DIY can be a combination of thrift and buying useful but expensive tools and equipment when you know they'll pay off.

>You don't DIY because it is cheaper.

I do. I've done it since the late 1970s. If you do your fucking homework and ACCEPT THE LEARNING CURVE it's much cheaper. You gotta love it to learn it well, but if you do then you can save mad cash, get what you want when you want it, and slash your overhead to not much at all.

The secret is determination and study. After a while you get that the different disciplines are complementary.

I don't pay anyone to plumb, wire (except service pole installs which require inspections), roof, paint, or otherwise repair my homes. That helped pay them off early.

I rarely pay anyone to work on my vehicles other than tire replacement on my trucks, machine shop services, and one 4WD transmission overhaul I didn't feel like doing.

For example one front end job paid for my new ball joint press. The second and third were gravy, and I still have the press.

My welders, lathe and milling machine more than paid for themselves and I can use them for life. All but one welder were bought used, and for best value I only buy industrial grade equipment. My car trailer, also bought used, hauls whatever I want.

I DIY all my motorcycle work except cylinder boring, sandblasting and powder coating which are cheaper to outsource than bother with at home.

If I need a ditch, I dig it by hand for the exercise. Wife and self cut several hundred feet that way. When I lay crushed asphalt (wonderful stuff, stays hard and grass grows thru it for a nice green driveway that doesnt' get hot in summer) I rake it out by hand. /fit/ and /diy/ are highly compatible.

Do it, faggots.
>>
>>1146811
That's how I do it and it got me machine tools, welders, tooling, tool boxes, motorcycle lifts etc, etc, etc.
>>
>>1144956
>But I do have to admit. I'm going to build a workshop/garage/whatever and I do believe it will never pay itself back. I just want to have a place to do projects that is warm and secured from the elements. It will be expensive and a money pit. This part is going to be "for the love of DIY".

Did it and it wasn't a money pit because I've used my facilities for many years. Payback over time is real and often impressively rapid. I have one 20x20 Steelmaster (welding and auto lift), two 40' High Cubes joined as a shop, and just bought a new "one trip" High Cube with doors on both ends for a ride-thru motorcycle garage which frees up my old two bay garage for workspace.
>>
>>1143999
Some cities have hacking workspaces where you pay a monthly fee for use of tools. For bigger projects the big box stores usually have tool rentals.
>>
>>1143999
>for one project and never touch them again
What?

Most people use their tools for many, many projects.
>>
File: s-l1600[1].jpg (65KB, 1280x601px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600[1].jpg
65KB, 1280x601px
>>1147398
Can DIYing, say, a dining room table be cheaper than buy a new one? Absolutely. If you don't have the tools you are going to have to acquire them. Even so, if you keep a weather eye out and get some good deals you can get yourself some awesome tools used so that you still come out ahead on the deal. You are probably going to have to value your time at nothing, but if you enjoy the work it is time well spent.

Unless... you do the same thing and keep a weather eye out for a dining room table. I paid $40 for a solid cherry drop leaf dining room table that seats 8 because the finish on top was shot. An afternoon with an orbital sander and a few coats of stain and poly and it is like new. Picture related, from eBay. Exact same table as I have.

A dining room table is just an example. DIYing can be cheaper than buying new. I doubt it will ever be cheaper than buying used. I do both. I have a woodshop full of tools and I've paid less than a few grand for the whole lot. I have multiple drill presses, different kinds of saws, two jointers, and a mountain of corded and hand powered tools. Even a few battery powered tools. Hell, I just went out today to a sale and picked up a tool box for of stuff for $5. That alone is fun as hell and it is cheap enough that I can buy multiplees of things so I don't have to switch bits/blades/etc in the middle of work. The real fun comes from getting everything squared away and ready to work. Or, if I come along something better, I can flip it on CL or to a buddy and make some folding money.
>>
>>1144013
last summer I spent $50 for wood and nails, and made a work bench that stands up to blacksmith activities on a regular basis.
>>1143999
have you ever rented a tool? Most big hardware stores do tool rental so you don't have to buy a tool you will only use once.
>>
File: 1455031866419.jpg (50KB, 500x385px) Image search: [Google]
1455031866419.jpg
50KB, 500x385px
>building houses made of wood
>>
>>1145202

You can buy rough cut oak boards from a mill for about the same price as pine from a big box store.

Having a planer and a jointer lets you size them and square them with ease.
Thread posts: 130
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.