[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Currently I have just a basic door on my apt. I am kinda paranoid

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

Currently I have just a basic door on my apt. I am kinda paranoid because I live alone and am not home for more than 8 hours because of work. I dont have any valuables except my laptop and bike but I'd like to be less stressed about leaving them at home. I recently moved in the building but there has been some kind of break in downstairs. Anyway, should I invest in a new door or that would only bring more suspicion to my apt ? What is your suggestion ?
>>
>>1143894

If you rent, don't do anything until you've talked to the landlord...any work, or monies invested will become his...

Is the door solid core, or a hollow core?
Does it have a deadbolt?
>>
>>1143894
Bring your laptop and bike to work, problem solved
>>
>>1143905
The apt is mine. Not renting. The door is solid core and doesnt have a deadbolt. Everyone on the floor has the same door but some people have put an adittional deadbolt. Basically the door can be kicked in by use of some force by my estimate.
>>1143906
I am doing that with my laptop but I need to secure the bike at work as well. That might be less of a hassle.
>>
>>1143911

Install a good quality deadbolt then...check the length of the screws used on the hinges...if they're 3/4" (19mm)ish, swap em out for some 2 1/2" (63mm)...
>>
File: door_broken.jpg (9KB, 300x306px) Image search: [Google]
door_broken.jpg
9KB, 300x306px
There is a big misconception with door security repeated time and time again on this board.

It's often not the case that the door itself fails or the locks/deadbolts securing it but rather the fixings and door frame/jamb.

You need to beef up the frame and fixings into the masonry, the fixings holding deadbolts and locks in place as well as hinges.

If it's a solid core door in an apartment block I'd hazard a guess it's fire rated so the change of breaking through the door is much lower than breaking the hinges or door frame.
>>
>>1143894
Get renters insurance ($15/month) and back all your data to the cloud
>>
>>1143894
get a deadbolt
get a security strike plate

you could consider putting up cameras, and or a standalone alarm system

consider encrypting your computer so at least someone wouldn't get your data

try and form a basic relationship with neighbors so if they do hear something like a door being smashed in, they would be inclined to notify the police

>>1144034
>Get renters insurance
anyone who doesn't have it, is an idiot
>>
I have a potentially stupid idea. So let's say OP reinforces the jamb and door and everything, so the weak spot is now where his door meets the jamb. Would two deadbolts (one at the height of each hinge, but on the same side of the door as the knob), be the sturdiest configuration for locking it when he's not in it?
>>
>>1143894
Honeywell lynx 5210 alarm panel is a great option for apartment dwellers. They're easy enough to figure out, there are great forums (alarmgrid!) and non-contract monitoring specifically for diyers for less than $20 per month. A complete system costs less than a quality security door. They can even integrate wireless cameras with off site recording.
>>
File: DOOR FIX.jpg (106KB, 1400x700px) Image search: [Google]
DOOR FIX.jpg
106KB, 1400x700px
>>1143894
>What is your suggestion ?
A deadbolt
A security strike plate
Three long screws for hinges
(one for each hinge)
>>
>>1144034
>OP said "The apt is mine. Not renting."
>>
>>1144212
Or you could drive 4 inch screws into hinges through the jamb and into the studs.
>>
>>1143894
After talking to your landlord about your 'home improvement' project idea, first thing to check is your door lock housing. You know, that thing in the door frame that holds the door knob lock thingie. Make sure the screws are about 4-inches long (usually contractors especially for apartment bldgs or condos only use the regular 1-2inches long screws. Having them replaced with 4-in screws is like level 1 in home security, cause whoever will try to kick your door won't easily break that lock. After that, get some deadbolt, chain, maybe make sure the door itself isn't some sort of easily breakable material like clapboard, etc. When all else fails, watch the hit 90's holiday movie "Home Alone" and get a few ideas about setting some traps. For the truly paranoid, start taking care of a one-master doge like a Pitbull or Doberman or something and train that pupper to become a guard doge which only obeys your commands (for extra security, only teach it to respond in a foreign language that is not widely spoken where you live, like Esperanto or Klingon or Dothraki)
>>
>>1148091

>>1145998
Derp derp derp
>>
>>1143894
Keep in mind building codes where you are..

BCA mandates that a door leading into an apartment must have a device that closes the door without user intervention, and any locking device must not be of a bolt type, but rather a latching type, such that the door can not be prevented from sealing of its own accord. (this of course is massively paraphrased at almost midnight after a 12 hour day, but i hope it makes sense)
>>
>>1143942
This, a hundred times
>>
>>1148515
Not OP, but interesting

MY apt has the opposite, although probably not because of any code

>non closing doors
>literally only a deadbolt, no locking latch

Also who the fuck is the BCA
>>
>>1148537
BCA is Building Code of Australia.... was just me referencing my local laws, because i don't know where you are lol..

Most places go for a fire rated key in knob or key in lever style commercial lock, and if they want additional security, a deadlatch... 001 is the most common one here
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.