[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /diy/, was given a set of Apple earpods with a lightning

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_20170312_195811.jpg (1MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170312_195811.jpg
1MB, 5312x2988px
Hey /diy/,
was given a set of Apple earpods with a lightning connection, but don't have an iPhone. Is it a straight analogue connection through to the speakers, or is there a digital conversion.
And does anyone have a wiring diagram, I could still give them away if I haven't cut into them to look around.
>>
>>1143306
Now this is an interesting problem. The 3.5mm>lightning adapter (opposite of the one you want) has a DAC in it, so I suspect those things take digital and have their own DAC. Someone's sure to start manufacturing a lighting>3.5mm adapter (the one you want) sometime, but I suspect not yet. The ADC of the earbuds is contained within the lightning jack housing, so you could chop the whole thing off, use an oscilloscope to figure out which lead is which, but soldering onto those tiny leads with nylon in them is a pain in the arse and I wouldn't recommend it at all. Coming from a guy who tried and failed to fix his headset. They're easily valuable enough to sell and buy a pair of equivalent earphones (just don't get the knock-off coloured Apple EarPods, they're garbage). Look around on /g/ or wherever for a recommended pair of earbuds or whatever.
>>
>>1143318
Yeah exchanging them is probs the best option. Ah well, maybe one day tearing apart apple crap will be practical. Cheers for the tips.
>>
>>1143321
It's practical to tear apart old Apple computers, people turn them into fishtanks and the previous generation Apple Pro shit makes a pretty nice computer case with some modifications. It's just when you get to such tiny stuff everything has to be potted/sealed in silicone because there isn't enough room for a rigid enough container without it. All 3.5mm stuff is the same, I'd full-on convert to 6.3mm if my laptop and phone and everything else didn't use 3.5mm. I need to go vintage, but finding a smartphone old enough to have a 6.3mm jack might pose a problem.
>>
>>1143322
I highly doubt you'd find a smartphone with 6.3mm at all. I remember the Blackberry I had in the 90's already had a 3.5mm
>>
>>1143322
fuck just solder a 6.3 jack into your smartphone anon
>>
>>1143322
that's not going vintage, it's making a bad choice. 3.5 is older than portable devices and better for them.
>>
>>1143370
Yes, hence the inevitable problem of finding a smartphone with 6.3mm. I've put "custom phone body" in the ever-increasing long-term to-do list, and it will probably star there until I get any machining tools. Also iPhone SE is best iPhone.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.