[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are my chances of getting disabled/dying as an electrician?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

File: 1463975562419s.jpg (3KB, 125x100px) Image search: [Google]
1463975562419s.jpg
3KB, 125x100px
What are my chances of getting disabled/dying as an electrician?
Is it really as dangerous as it seems?
>>
I would suggest you water it every three days until it dries.
>>
That really depends if you're an idiot or not.
>>
>>1142895
99.9%
>>
>>1142895
do you like to work on live equipment?
are you too cheap to buy a multimeter?
>>
>>1142895
OSHA puts out a sentence for each work related death there is in a year. Seems like if you die on the residential side it's because you fell off or through something or you allowed yourself to be shocked while being really well grounded.
>>
>>1142895
First, are you retarded? Follow procedures, don't make stupid choices.

Second, are we talking resedential, commercial, or industrial? If industrial it'll likely be the environment itself that gets you. Platform collaps, explosion, hit by moving equipment, falling from a jlg because you didnt wear a harness. Most plants have strict Lock Out Tag Out policies, and you'll more likely be walked to the gate and banned than die.
>>
>>1142895
Don't know about disabled, but according to my research, every electrician in history has died. Not a great track record, OP.
>>
>>1142934
>Follow procedures, don't make stupid choices.
It's important that you are prepared to stand up for yourself and call the relevant health and safety authority if someone asks you to do something stupid. If you just walk out then sure you're a big guy but they will just send in some other poor schmuck to his death.
There was a fairly (scarily) recent case about an electrician working on a pressure steamer for canned foods is some shit. Company procedure didn't include loto properly and he got pressure cooked when the next shift started. So be smart enough to risk access official company procedures is important too. Being electrocuted is one thing but being fucking steam cleaned is fucked up.
>>
>>1142895
1 slip up or fuckoff co worker can kill u.

Could fall off a ladder.

Just use common sense and pay attention to your training. After that it's about as dangerous as any other trade. Just gotta pay the fuck attention and make aure u have good insurance.

By random chance one of my best friends was dicking with 440v and it grabbed him up. He alnost died several times after and is permanently fucking melted and had a bunch of skin graphts and shit. Melted his jands up pretty bad. He is strong and adapting. But there os muscle loss he will bever gain back.

Also i fell out of a roof and spend my days in constant oain but unable to take meds cause of my job. Got a metal plate and 8 screwa holding my cankle together
>>
>>1142934
Yup. Lockout tagout sucks but does in fact save lives. I've seen people almost die
>>
>>1144059
There have been cases of superiors ordering someone to cut off the lock and run the machine, and the idiot actually cut the lock and killed the guy. Even if you do it right, sometimes it's just the right day for you to die. You pay your money, you take your chances, OP.
>>
>>1142895
I once was an electrician get fucked up when he was fucking around inbetween two big 40,000 volt box things. I think he might have forgotten to tag one. Literally looked like a crispy black thing with no recognisable head or arms and little stumps where his legs were when I saw him being carted off by the paramedics. I'd say it wouldn't be more dangerous than any other trade tho.
>>
>>1144957
Once saw*
>>
>>1142895
1. JUST BECAUSE THEY SAY IT'S ISOLATED, DOESNT MEAN IT IS.

2. ALWAYS LOCK IT OFF.

3. ALWAYS METER IT FIRST.

You'll be fine.
>>
Don't trust an isolation you haven't personally made

Lock out your isolations or take put the fuse and carry it in your pockets

Test against a known source. Test your tester.

Don't work live.

If it all seems too hard, get into plumbing. Payday is Thursday and shit runs downhill.
>>
>>1142895
Not in the US. Most of my family is electricians, it pays well and none of them have ever had any accident.
>>
>>1144957
It's dangerous because you can't see electricity. Sometimes if you get close enough to a large potential you can feel it before a fatal discharge but if that happens you are already doing something wrong.

A man has got to know his limitations and some men just don't belong in certain high risk - high reward trades.
>>
>>1142919
or what really happens is that you dont turn the power off. people think they can work live when working live gets u dead. the other major thing is someone working on live machinery then shift changes and someone powers up what you've crawled into and you get crushed to death.just turn the shit off and call the union if you're ever asked to ignore LOTO
>>
>>1143019
no he wasnt an electrician. that was a fish cannery in california. he was the guy who cleaned the giant autoclaves. they didnt have LOTO or an emergency release, his job was to go inside the autoclave and scrub it down between batches.
>>
File: FHJQZO8I7KB968O.MEDIUM.jpg (37KB, 366x450px) Image search: [Google]
FHJQZO8I7KB968O.MEDIUM.jpg
37KB, 366x450px
fear these
>>
>>1142895
If you're doing residential your risk is low; falling from a ladder after a small shock might get you, but you're unlikely to fry yourself.

Now industrial...industrial has all the fun stuff. You know, vaporized tools, glow nuts, instant death, that kind of thing.
>>
>>1144064
Then they, or the company, gets sued to hell and your survivors get a very nice settlement out of the deal.
>>
>>1145191
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GXcbReCYwM
>>
>>1145289
Yup, there are many exciting ways to die in an industrial environment. How people continue to die by not using simple things like LOTO blows my fucking mind.
>>
An old neighbor and family friend of ours was an electrician. Dude used to say he would have to crawl under houses and through spiderwebs and shit. I've been turned off from being an electrician ever since then, it's a dirty job where you have to crawl into places with creepy spiders and stuff. It's too scary for me.
>>
>>1144058
seems like that fall caused a bit of brain damage too m8
>>
>>1142895
Wear contactless voltage detectors on your waist, boots, hat, and gloves or forearms
Keep a air horn can on your hip so you can make loud noise if someone closes you in somewhere.
If you can conceal carry, even better. You can fire a couple of times to get attention before equipment crushes, shreds, cooks, electrocutes, slices, dices, drops, or drowns you. People will hear the shots and think they fucked up and turn shit off real fast.
And, just in case it doesn't get anyone's attention, always save one bullet for yourself.

If you can't carry, you might look into something like a cyanide pill you can keep close, maybe on a breakaway necklace under your shirt.
>>
>>1145289
He's shaking hands with danger
>>
>>1145419
Personally, I always carry a really small homemade time bomb on my chest that requires a key to reset. I leave the key outside wherever I'm in, and I set it for as long as the job takes. I started doing this after that guy got pressure cooked, and a bunch of my friends have started doing it too.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.