[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Am I fucked bros? I just got this town home and somethings already

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: DSC_0005.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0005.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
Am I fucked bros? I just got this town home and somethings already leaking

It's this copper pipe running from my water heater. What do I do guys?
>>
>>1142516
Unless you know how to sweat a pipe you'll have to call a plumber.

>inb4 telling how to do it

You could burn your house down.
>>
>>1142521

Give the dude some credit, my dad taught me how to do it when I was like 13 and I never burnt a house down, I'm fairly sure a grown man with access to the internet can figure it out fairly safety.
>>
There are plenty of solutions that don't involve sweating. They have slip connectors for copper pipes, either a double slip or slip to thread. You just need to go down to your local hardware store, and ask someone about repairing copper pipes without sweating. Relatively easy, even for someone that isn't a plumber
>>
File: coupler.jpg (12KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
coupler.jpg
12KB, 400x400px
I figured out sweating joints pretty easily with experience with electrical soldering.
If you'e mechanically inclined, you could DIY

-shut off power or gas to heater
-shut off water
-open a spigot or two that's lower than the leak to empty the leaking pipe.
-cut off strait section (don't try to unsolder and reuse elbows or couplers), leaving an inch or two at least from any other connection.
-fit new strait section with a hacksaw or preferably a pipe cutter and a couple of couplers.
-remove the new pipe and clean all pipe ends (and the inside of the coupler) with steel wool, a wire brush or whatever it takes. Don't skimp on this step. The parts at the connection need to be pristine and shiney.
-lightly hit the tin of flux with a torch to get a bit of liquid. With a small brush (find them next to the flux at the store) apply flux to the inside of the coupler and ends of the pipe. I like to hit them with a blowtorch lightly and then reapply more flux.
-fit everything back up
-wipe the solder with a paper towel to remove any crud if it's not new and shiny(make sure it's lead-free plumbing solder)
-heat both parts at the connection focusing more on the pipe than coupler (the short coupler heats easily). Apply solder to the opposite side until it melts and "flows" to fill the joint. Never heat the solder directly, melt it with the pipe. Not enough solder and the joint wont fill properly, too much and you could put globs of solder inside the pipe. (jewtube may be useful here)

If you're unsure about this, practice a couple joint outside before cutting into your plumbing and using a blowtorch in confined spaces. Be patient and meticulous. Wear gloves if you're not used to working with hot parts because brainfarts happen.

Make sure the new pipe isn't touching abrasive surfaces like that wall. enlarge the hole and/or wrap the pipe in something.

Judging by your pic, learning how to fit and sweat joints may be a useful skill for you in the future.
>>
>>1142521
Topkek.

Go from copper to pex or pvc.
>>
>>1142521
Stupid fuck, look up shark bites. Please stay away from giving advice here. Go back to /a/
>>
>>1142665
Copper fittings requiring no tools (other than cutting the pipe they slide over and removing any burrs) exist and they work fucking wonderfully. They allow flex and movement which is handy during installs, and you can reuse the fittings.

I can sweat pipe all day and rebuild and collect torches, but modern fittings make sweating copper mostly obsolete.

http://www.probite.com/plumbing/how-to-connect-copper.html

and others are the shit! I actually enjoy torch work but prefer it on the bench and not inside my walls.
>>
www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMw8S7r0sZM
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.