[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there anyway to mill a cylinder block out by hand(on a vertical

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: 61169-deck.jpg (88KB, 800x500px) Image search: [Google]
61169-deck.jpg
88KB, 800x500px
Is there anyway to mill a cylinder block out by hand(on a vertical mill)? Or are they only done by cnc?
>>
File: colbert.gif (2MB, 254x275px) Image search: [Google]
colbert.gif
2MB, 254x275px
>>1142216
>Is there anyway to mill a cylinder block out by hand(on a vertical mill)?

wut
>>
File: 1488130415151.jpg (401KB, 864x627px) Image search: [Google]
1488130415151.jpg
401KB, 864x627px
>>1142216
that's impossible. the first engines were made possible after the advent of CNC technology (1950s)
>>
>>1142216

The machine shop near me doesn't use CNC.

CNC in machine shops are still pretty uncommon unless they are more like contract factories than a machine shop.
>>
>>1142216
Like from scratch? Possibly depending on the design. But for a modern block? Probably not, and for a reason not directly related to CNC or not. They usually have a lot of coolant passages and such that are cast into the block. You may be able to compensate by having drilled passages and strategically cross drill and block off ends of the holes as needed. Really heavily dependent on design of the block though.
>>
>>1142228
>cnc
>in the 50's
>nonsense
>look it up
>it's true

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_numerical_control#Proliferation_of_CNC

How were internal combustion engines made before then? Any documentaries available?
>>
>>1142228
>first engines
>50s
What's wrong with you. Internal combustion engines have been around since the late 1700s. If some yobbo can cast and machine an engine block without any electricity then I'm sure OP can do it on a mill. With enough enthusiasm, knowledge, and money of course. How are the water channels cast into an engine block? Is it all sand cast? Because making those tiny channels so precisely would be pretty tough.
>>
>>1142324
On some engines they use a Styrofoam like material to make the cast. If you look on the block of most ecotec engines you'll see the imprints.
>>
>>1142324
I think he was making a funny.
>>
>>1142333
Ok I googled it instead and holy shit all this is made of sand? I know they have the CO2 hardening stuff but this is crazy!
>>
File: S-SAND.jpg (234KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
S-SAND.jpg
234KB, 640x480px
>>1142359
pic forgot
>>
>>1142216

I've always figured that they were cast and then slightly touched up with a mill.

I see no reason why you couldn't do it with a manual machine except I have a suspicion that you don't know how to use on.
>>
>>1142395
Seconded. As seen in the picture above, they can make some pretty precise castings, which is good for the twisting water conduits, but to get the tight tolerances needed for the pistons and valves to fit they'd use some sort of mill to bore them to size. If you copy this you might only need a mill for light passes where two flat surfaces meet and boring things to precise diameters, you wouldn't need any CNC whatsoever. Getting the right shapes of valves and cams and other contoured parts might require CNC though.
>>
Valve seats, any mating surfaces (like headers and the face on the engine block), all threaded holes and the holes for the valve guides.

There, thats the machined parts of a "normal" cylinder head. The rest is made in the casting.

If should be perfectly possible to make it on a manual mill, assuming you are proficient at operating one such.
It will be hell making all the water and oil channels by drilling from each side and blocking off, but its doable.
>>
>>1142216
mill an entire head? or just use a mill to modify an existing head? because holy fuck no
>>
>>1142324
Ya, most high end cast companies coat a mold in ceramic then cast and bust it off.

Theres a bretty gud vidya of the edlebrock company making intakes.

Some use green sand castings and sand plugs but it looks like hell.
>>
>>1142359
Yup. Been casting sgit im sand simce the dark ages. Fun rabbit hole on youtube.

Green sand casting

Have fun
>>
>>1142359
Also, i built a trailer mounted foundry and casted a bunch of aluminum dicks using oil based green sand called petro bond.

If u can find bentonite gel bags and window screen some dust and at a tiny amount of water its a lot of fucking fun to play with. Was gonna fill my bros kids sandbox with it but apparently bentonite gel can cause cancer. And fine sand dust also pretty much causes cancer. Silicosis. Its what will kill me if birgers and booze dont
>>
>>1142216
You would have to be EXTREMELY patient because without CNC cutting the curves would be extremely difficult. That's one reason engine parts were cast then milled to finish.

There are plenty of neat documentaries on the Internet Archive. Sand casting was popular for good reason and every small machine shop usually had their own foundry.

You can rapid prototype casting cores. The internet is your friend....
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.