[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey /diy/ how do I tap out about an inch hole in plastic? It's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: aesthetic.jpg (64KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
aesthetic.jpg
64KB, 800x600px
hey /diy/

how do I tap out about an inch hole in plastic? It's not too thick and it feels like ABS

it's for my old fightstick, I'm going to mod it with a modern pcb that supports all the new consoles so I can use it with my pc and ps4 instead of buying a new one, the hole is for the usb port- the usb port housing needs just shy of an inch in diameter to fit (and then 2 small screw holes but that's not going to be any big deal compared to something around an inch)

really don't want this to crack, what kind of bit should I use? Or should I just try to melt it with a soldering iron (will be sloppy, but at least it won't crack)
>>
>>1142177
drill a series of hole in the shape of a circle and the cut it out with a knife
>>
>>1142179
I never thought about that

what about

1. drill a pilot hole

2, get a hole saw and run it on a very low speed just to scratch out an outline of my hole

3. heat up a paring knife with the stove and cut it out

would this be the best way?
>>
>>1142180

Run the hole saw in reverse would work better desu...
>>
>>1142180
why do you think heated blade is a good idea, it is not

just use a sharp knife and stop trying to smartass a new solution
>>
>>1142177
Sauce on the car?
>>
>>1142182
ok

>>1142181
yeah, so the teeth are just scratching it instead of cutting it (too much of a cracking risk)

thanks

>>1142185
no clue, just saved the pic when I saw it. looks similar to a countach though
>>
File: s-l300.jpg (14KB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
s-l300.jpg
14KB, 300x200px
>>1142177
depending how thick the plastic is, use a conduit hole punch
>>
>>1142193
>looks similar to a countach though

That <-----------------------------------> Lamboshitty

>>1142185
Ferrari 512S Berlinetta Speciale
>>
>>1142231
I can use google image search too
>>
>>1142196
Came here to post this.

Glad to see someone is on the job.
>>
>>1142177
>how do I tap out about an inch hole in plastic?
>how do I tap
>tap
I believe you mean drill or bore, tapping typically refers to the act of carving threads into the already made hole.

Also use a dremel / $20 rotary tool off AliExpress with an off-centre collet and a locking pin that wears out after a month.
>>
>>1142196
>>1142273
using a sheet metal knock-out punch is probably the option most likely to shatter the plastic into useless mulch.
>>
File: image_11970[1].jpg (158KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
image_11970[1].jpg
158KB, 1200x1200px
>>1142177
Step drill bit. Center punch where you want the hole, pilot hole if your bit needs it.
>>
Just heat a nail above the stove
>>
File: thiskillstheshopvac.jpg (99KB, 600x399px) Image search: [Google]
thiskillstheshopvac.jpg
99KB, 600x399px
>>1142179
>drill a series of hole in the shape of a circle and the cut it out with a knife
this
pic not relate
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.