[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup /diy/ I bought an Iomega Zip drive for $2 at Goodwill and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_1272[1].jpg (187KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1272[1].jpg
187KB, 720x1280px
Sup /diy/

I bought an Iomega Zip drive for $2 at Goodwill and I want to use it as a keycard lock system for my cargo container.

Example: I insert a zip disk into the drive, the drive is connected to a thinkpad,, the disk has the authentification hash, the thinkpad unlocks the container from inside.
>>
>>1141897
Floppy disks are EXTREMELY unreliable.
>>
>>1141900
floppys are pretty reliable, in comparison to Zips - if iomega didnt actually invent the phrase 'click of death', they certainly did more than anyone else to popularise it. I am not seeing benefits of introducing Zip drives to your proposed setup, nope.

tldr, you depending Zips as electronic key? - better pray you ain't locked inside.
>>
>>1141908

I'm not gonna be the one locked inside it.

giggity
>>
>>1141897
>keycard lock system for my cargo container

Nobody is going to steal your imitation crab meat.
THAT SHIT IS GROSS!
>>
Really not a great idea. Much better to use a USB flash drive.

But either way, you can do it on Linux with udev. You can make a udev rule to run a script when the drive is inserted, to read it, compare the hash, and fire your unlock relay.
see
https://wiki.debian.org/udev
>>
>>1141897
Just use a key. That's litterally what they're made for.
If you want to boast around telling all your friends how high-tech your container door is, just set up a fingerprint scanner, possibly with a keypad code if you want to roleplay as a secret agent.
But really, just get a padlock or an actual lock. If there's one thing I learned from experience, it's the more effort you put into protecting something, the more/harder assholes will try to break in.
>>
>>1142089
Not the op, but what's the simplest way to do the trigger-your-unlock-relay step?
>>
>>1141897
Anyone who wants inside your shit can get in easily, fyi.
>>
>>1141897
So
Storing a hash or password on the disc is not very secure.
Ideally you want something capable of doing some work, store a key on the disc, the authorising system encrypts something and asks the card to de encrypt it then you design the card to never release the private key. If you can get the card to generate both keys and give out the public key on demand even better.
Basically how challenge response on smart rfid cards work
As for activating a lock if your computer has a printer/parallel port that's easiest, otherwise ttl serial over usb, perhaps with ftdi or something? Talking to a microcontroller. You could probably get the microcontroller talking directly to the zip disc reader then actuate a lock, probably an electromagnet or electromagnetic strike, will need a transistor driver or perhaps relay (opto isolator is simplest) to switch the voltage and current required
>>
>>1142137
The easiest way would be to connect up an arduino by USB and have it pulse an output pin when it receives a serial message.
Any program or script can communicate with the arduino by writing to its device file (on linux) or its COM port (on windows).

If the computer has a DB9 serial port, then an arduino isn't needed at all. The DB9 connector has pins for for hardware flow control signaling that can be written high and low like GPIO pins, with ioctl().
Parallel ports can be used as GPIO too, but I've never done that.
>>
>>1141897
OP what kind of phone do you have? Hell, it doesn't matter. Just buy a NFC reader for your thinkpad and either use your phone's NFC function for your key, or you could put a NFC sticker on the inside of your phone case or wallet or on a card or something and use it. It'll be fewer parts than a zip drive and you can also enclose the reader to weatherproof it.
>>
>>1141897
Sounds like way too much work to jimmy rig some unreliable bullshit and end up having to break in to your own container. Just get a single door access control system for a couple hundred bucks.
>>
Just get an NFC card reader
>>
I'm guessing you want to use this since almost no one HAS A WORKING ONE and the disks are not easy to fake/replicate. ie. no one else has them compared to floppy's, usbs, nfc, various cards and such.
>>
>>1142137
Get a computer with a parallel port. Pull all the pins low. use any of the pins on the port driver your relay. hell, you could do it with the control lines on a serial port.
>>
>>1141897
I have a ton of floppy and hard disks and I have 1 or 2 zip drive disks. I even have zip drive
>>
Man up and do it with Jaz.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.