[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the best cloth material to wear when grinding stuff?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

What's the best cloth material to wear when grinding stuff?

>using angle grinder to cut some steel bars
>wearing flannel shirt
>start feeling hot
>burning hole in said shirt
Fuck I loved that shirt.
>>
>>1141693
Clothes that you don't mind burning holes in obviously.
>>
>>1141693
Leather would be best id think. Get an apron.
>>
Go naked an get a nice tan line duh
>>
>>1141710
>tan line
>naked
>>
>>1141711
from the angle, excuse my pun
>>
File: 41t13s8+heL._SY300_.jpg (11KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
41t13s8+heL._SY300_.jpg
11KB, 300x300px
>>1141693
the same thing you wear while welding...
proper work cloathers + leather apron = minimum
leather work cloathers or special work clothers made for welding/grinding - ie fire proof= best
not to forget safety gear
and OP you are a retard
>>
>>1141778
>and OP you are a retard
??
>>
>>1141693
You can wear anything as long as you don't put yourself in the plane of the grinding wheel like a retard. Enjoy your shrapnel when a disc explodes.
>>
Jeans and a cotton tee shirt
PPE should include boots, ear plugs, glasses, gloves.
a dusk mask if you're doing a lot of grinding.

I've been working in metal machining /welding /fab shops for the past 12 years. I never bother with a faceshield, I still have my face.
>>
Thick polyester coated in kerosene mixed with atf. Atf stops it from burning and the kerosene helps it soak into the polyester
>>
Ask a stripper they grind all night
>>
>>1141693
full nomex suit and welding mask.
>>
>>1141693
natural fibers, eg. cotton
>>
>>1141693
You had it right. Natural fibers(cotton/wool/etc) and not synthetic(polyester/nylon), because you WANT your clothing to burn. If shit goes wrong, burning it good, because the alternative is melting onto your skin, and THEN burning.

Get a leather apron to wear on top of your clothes though, you shouldn't be burning through your clothes, you fucking retard.
>>
>>1141799
>a dusk mask if you're doing a lot of grinding.

>grind lots of steel
>no facemask
>blow nose in shower
>black snot
>>
>>1142075
>>black snot
eh it'll take a while to kill ya.
>>
I usually wear cheap welding jackets. If you starch the shit out of work shirts most sparks bounce off. Old welder's trick which works very well. I also wear my (permanently impregnated with starch by many trips to the cleaners) old BDUs sometimes.

Never wear clothes you care about in the shop. The only thing to care about is the lens in your welding helmet.

I prefer face shields since I wear glasses and they ventilate nicely. I sometimes use my mesh shield (normally for chainsaw work) in hot weather. I wish I'd discovered that trick earlier.
>>
File: 63 vista.jpg (115KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
63 vista.jpg
115KB, 960x720px
>tfw burned a hole through my lab coat and my fuccboi jeans while cutting thicc metal sheet for a shitty trike we made for a class with an angle grinder

Leather/faux leather aprons a best.
>>
>>1142067
Except OP was a retard and wore FLANNEL which is a highly flammable weave of cotton. Not all cotton is woven the same, and something like a plain weave or a thicker weave like canvas would be much better.
>>
>>1142077
Have to wonder how much of that shit is getting through and into your lungs
>>
>>1141693
OP you should wear heavy coveralls with extra long loose sleeves that hang. You also want large gloves that get caught in machinery easily. Make sure to also wear a scarf to protect your neck.
>>
I get it, now can you faggots stop calling me retard?
>>
I grind in slippers, cotton shorts, cotton t-shirt (if even than), shades and ear plugs

Worst I have done is boxers only. But don't do that. Your ears hurt, your eyes can be kill and even if you are out of the plain of rotation you will still get peppered.
>>
>>1141693
You can wear literally anything or nothing. The trick is to PAY ATTENTION to what you are doing. An angle grinder throws the majority of the material it removes in a specific direction, it takes a lot of these sparks to light up your clothes so in the future use your eyes and your brain to position yourself in a way that you aren't throwing sparks directly into your fucking shirt.
>>
>>1142087
that trike looks fuckin sick tho
>>
File: 44 barrenacion catarina.jpg (626KB, 1012x1366px) Image search: [Google]
44 barrenacion catarina.jpg
626KB, 1012x1366px
>>1142274
It is desu. Has lots of issues, but I learned loads. As soon as I graduate (4 months time yay), get a job, and get dosh, I'll redesign it, this time without time or money constraints.
Gonna be a 4 wheeler, most likely tho.

Here's the whole thing if you want to have a giggle:
http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=32933
>>
>>1141693
You shouldn't be getting hit with sparks.

Angle it in such a way that you aren't getting hit by bullshit. I had a bud at a fab shop get a broken disk shot into his face because he was stupid, and was in line with the disk.

Luckily, he had a face shield and a guard on the grinder. Fucker would have been blind with out it.
>>
>>1141710
This is the only way.
>>
I just do t shirt, spoggles, the same respirator i use with saw dust or silica, jeans, still toes. And ear plugs. I usely blast myself outside with a blow gun afterwards

>>1141884
Or this. Can't fuck with nomex coveralls, but long sleeves aren't always your friend when working with motors. Tuck them into some leather gloves of theyre too long. You can get a used set for $25 if you live by a refinery, gas plant, or some chem plants cause I can gurantee you have a used work clothes store somewhere.
>>
>>1142581
>still toes
God dammit, im a fucking retard.
>>
>>1142582
I'm going to call my steel toes 'Jazz Toes' from now on just to spite you, random anon.
>>
>>1141693
thick denim, or leather
>>
>>1141693
full rick
>>
>>1141790
This
>>
>>1141693
Don't wear anything you'd mind getting damaged.
If wearing cotton, wear a denser weave than flannel. You shouldn't be shooting sparks at yourself, but if that's unavoidable for some reason, wear a heavy leather apron or welding jacket. If you want an upgrade from regular cotton, look for fire-retardant welding clothes (typically dense cotton with stuff to discourage fires). If you want something to throw on over regular clothes to catch sparks and dust, there are nomex jackets/coveralls for that purpose.

But real men wear only speedos when grinding. This is used to slow the stone to a stop before setting the grinder down.
>>
Want to know what i wear? Sunglasses and my beard. Im not an idiot who angles the grinder to catch sparks in his chest.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.