[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>"Buy Estwing faggot" >"Buy estwing faggot"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6

File: asdasdsa.jpg (2KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
asdasdsa.jpg
2KB, 225x225px
>"Buy Estwing faggot"
>"Buy estwing faggot"
>"Buy estwing faggot last forever good hammers"
>Buy an estwing
>It's a good hammer
>Makes a really annoying and loud ringing sound at the nail puller/claw whenever I hit anything on any part of the hammer--like a tuning form
>"Lol! That's how you know it's a good hammer, because it rings!"

I'm gonna toss this thing in the trashola--can this this be stopped?

RUBBER BAND!?
>>
>>1141588
1. go to school
2. learn English
3. try again
>>
Nothing wrong with his english. If anyone ever says "Buy brand X", you can safely assume they are idiots. Buy products with good properties, not because they have a logo you've seen everywhere. Probably there's no good way to stop the ringing noise, but if you can think of a way to stop the tips of the claws from vibrating, try it. Maybe jam some rubber stuck between them.
>>
File: 1488698641224.jpg (38KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
1488698641224.jpg
38KB, 350x350px
>>1141588
that means its high tensile you pleb
>>
>>1141588
Properly heat treated steel rings you god damned mongoloid. Kill yourself.
>>
>>1141588
Eastwings are known for this. Get a hammer with a wooden handle and be done with it.
>>
>>1142309
I came to post this.
>>
>>1141639
>>1142303
What're you two schelps on abot?
>>
Been a carpenter for 9 years. Framed housed, built scaffold, 6 years of concrete forms building up to 20 story tall buildings out of reinforced concrete. And my hammer is hitting steel 50 percent of the time. I've used 20 different hammers and honestly a wooden handle is the way to go. Dalluge makes one with a titanium head and the top of the handle has steel in front of the wood so if you miss you don't destroy the wood just like the old Hart hammers had. I began to develop Carpal tunnel in my arm using an estwing "east wing is the proper pronunciation" lol. But yeah the steel handle Vaughns are US made but they will destroy your arm and the claw is smaller than a 2 year old girls pussy lips. Stiletto hammers are good but you spend more time fucking with it than you do swinging it and they are the first to be stolen on the jobsite.
Honestly I wish I could have the money to design a proper framing hammer myself to save all my brothers and sisters arms and wallets that's made in the United States and last forever. But that will never happen lol. But anyone can do this little trick i did. Get a wooden handle hammer of your choice and then cut a 2 by 4 inch piece of 12 gauge steel and bend/form it to fit around the top of the handle and attach it to the top of the wooden handle to protect the handle from being split from hitting other objects.
In closing from this drunk rant and first post on any 4chan board ever, your hammer should feel like an extension of your arm that when swung the right way you can feed and house your family, and build America with local labor not underpaid, unsafe scab ass workers that get other people hurt.
>>
>>1142786
Take a picture of your little wooden protector thing you wrote about at the bottom, I have no idea what you mean but I want it (I break rocks all day as a geologist and hence am also drunk)
>>
>>1142786
A weekend warrior and a professional framer are two different things.

OP whining about a little bit of a ring is retarded. He bought a quality hammer that can be abused and will last the rest of his life.
They are american made, ok priced, and quality made which is why everyone shills for them. Better yet, find one at a garage sale from the 50s and restore it.

Im not sure what else OP wants. Surprised that a single piece of metal slamming against a nail would vibrate and make a bit of a ring noise?
Im guessing he is just really stupid?
>>
>>1142764
Just wondering why something so obvious is a big deal to OP
>>
File: 51umI0UmUOL._SL1200_.jpg (61KB, 1200x728px) Image search: [Google]
51umI0UmUOL._SL1200_.jpg
61KB, 1200x728px
>>1142795
he just made something like the blue ring in this picture
>>
>>1141588
It's a hammer. Who gives a shit what brand it is, buy another for $5 if you don't like it.
>>
>>1142806
The ting is the harmonic assist
>>
>>1141588
what the hell are you doing to your hammers. pretty much any hammer should last a lifetime
>>
>>1141588
>buy hammer
>hammering makes noise
>noise makes me RRREEEEEEEEEEEEEE
buy a wrench next bruh
>>
>>1141588
Proper hammers are "tuned" to not ring.

There are hammer with a tuning fork, similar to the estwing, but with a fiberglass handle.
Stanley has one
>>
>>1143288
Estwings are about $50
>>
>>1143860
But why tho. Why pay that much for a hammer?
>>
>>1141588
ductape, rubber, silicon, wood, or use wood or rubber/silicon hammer for diferent jobs etc
or get earmuffs or earplugs like i do helps a lot and helps me to concentrate on the task also my workshop is indors
>>
>>1142309
I have a newish wooden Vaughan 20 oz that rings.. I have about a dozen hammers that I'll grab before thinking of using it.
>>
>>1141588
I bought on of these.
They are shit tier.
>>
>>1141588
they have a life time guarantee I had one that rang and I had our store rep take it away and replace it/give me one that doesnt ring.

take it back to where you brought it and they'll swap it and send it back to estwing
>>
>>1143860
Are you retarded?
Estwings cost $19

>>1145269
Because its higher quality than a 10$ hammer
>>
>>1145572
>They are shit tier.

Its a piece of metal made for hitting another piece of metal
What makes it shit tier? Its really not hard to do it right.
>>
>>1147036
dude Estwings start at $60 in New Zealand. Probably similar in straya.
>>
>>1141639
Really? Because brass has better ringing abilities than steel but steel has much better tensile strength.

What idiot told you that hogwash?
>>
>>1147044
Their cheap price in the USA is part of the reason why they are shilled. They arent much more expensive than you bottom of the barrel hammer, and a full metal chinese stanley/bostich/kobalt costs the same or more.
>>
Sorry just not got back on here to see this. And I'm not talking about the vibration from hitting a damn nail. Sorry I didn't explain better because I had a good buzz going. I am currently a concrete former. I'm not framing up houses anymore. I am now forming up very large commercial buildings. I am currently forming up a 9 story hospital and I am running the shaft crew building the structural elevator shafts in which the rest of the building ties too. When I am doing shoring, heavy steel forms or about 50 percent of what I am hitting with my hammer weighs much much more than myself so I get nothing but vibration when I got it and that's why my arm is numb about 60 percent of the day and night. I'm take a steel est wing and hit an I beam 5 thousand times a day for 6 years and then tell me how your arm feels. And then after that when you get a wooden handle hammer swing at that same I beam and accident miss and hit the wooden handle and see how many times it takes for the handle to break without my guard I fabricated. I apologize for not explaining that I no longer frame up houses like your badass self does because I have found that I can make way more money doing this than anything residential. Yes when I am laid off or work is slow I bid my own jobs. I subcontract. But I still don't use a steel fucking hammer because my arm is fucked from using it so long being a "rough carpenter" again apologies for being a dick on this reply but I didn't think I'd get so much shit for not explaining myself so perfectly lol
>>
And my father's Hart wooden handle that he got in the 70s in by far my favorite hammer. But I keep that in my garage hung up. Right next to his CeCo belly chains that he used for 18 years
>>
File: g_chipping_hammer.jpg (28KB, 960x325px) Image search: [Google]
g_chipping_hammer.jpg
28KB, 960x325px
>>1148876
>I'm take a steel est wing and hit an I beam 5 thousand times a day for 6 years and then tell me how your arm feels.
Well fuck man you're using the wrong tool for the job and blaming estwing for it. I'm a welder so I have no idea what you do but if I'm hammering steel I'm using an engineers hammer with a wooden or fiberglass handle (estwing makes one with a fiberglass handle btw). I love the ring my estwing chipping hammer makes when scraping off slag. So satisfying.
>>
>>1141588
Just buy one at harbor freight, they're $5.
>>
>>1148885
Truth! Carpenter hammers are not for ironwork and using them on steel forms is fucktarded.

Too many tradesmen who should know better use the wrong hammer.

There's another tool ironworkers and welders make which is great for aligning beams. I don't know the name though I've seen many and made one for myself. I used a truck axle with the flange torched off, then slit the end to fit a piece of 3/8" plate the size of my hand. That's notched to fit I-beam flanges. You can angle the head for use next to obstructions. Many welding and heavy fab shops make them. I've never seen a commercial version.

You use them to twist beams, pick up the ends, and the weight is great for banging them into position. (Use the plain end.)
>>
>>1147055
Chinese cant into steel though
>>
>>1149538
Pics please
>>
>>1141588
>can't replace the handle when it breaks

And, they do break eventually. Normally the rubber handle goes first though.

Also, always use ear plugs when using hammers. ALWAYS. You'll thank me later.
>>
>>1151872
It's out in my field with my heavy scrap pile but will take pics today if I remember.
>>
>>1151875
>earplugs
I get funny looks for how much ppe I wear all the time but I can still hear the wings of a mosquito!
>>
>>1151875
Ive never seen one break, ive seen some from the 50s being restored
>>
>>1151875
I always see this
>what if the handle breaks then ur SOL lol pleb

If a forged steel handle breaks on you, you are either doing something insanely retarded, or you have abused/neglected the hammer. Usually a combo of both along with using the wrong tool for the job because of lack of care or experience.

Plus at $30 for a good hammer (depending on the actual type of hammer, price may vary) When you break it in 30 years by being a retard, get a new one. A good handle replacement on another hammer is gonna cost half of the price for a new hammer anyways.

If the rubber handle goes fast, you are either storing it wrong (in UV light, heat, or near chemicals) or you aren't caring for the tool (i.e. wiping oil off when you're done).

Why is it so hard for people to in2 tool care?
>>
File: tool1.jpg (954KB, 2064x1161px) Image search: [Google]
tool1.jpg
954KB, 2064x1161px
>>1151872
These are usually made on the spot in a variety of sizes and angles. Two men can use one on each side to carry or drag I-beams as well as wrestle them into position. The solid handle isn't enough weight to matter much and delivers targeted force when the butt end is struck against your workpiece. End on this one is 1/2" plate.
>>
File: tool2.jpg (892KB, 2064x1161px) Image search: [Google]
tool2.jpg
892KB, 2064x1161px
>>1151872
Closeup of end. Notch to suit beam or bar thickness you are working with. I've never seen anyone bother to make these pretty (probably because they'd get stolen).

You can apply a lot more force with a long cheater pipe over the handle if needed. This handle is a cutoff 14-bolt GM rear axle.
>>
>>1152726

I am into tool care because they are extra compounded expensive here (3rd world). But if I have to baby a tool then it's definitely a piece of shit.

In our climate if you touch a drill bit, in 6 hours you get a rusty finger print showing up. Rubber handles are a couple years max, even in the closet. Shoes fall apart in months as the glues in them break down.

The only time you spend extra on something is if you know by passed on knowledge or experience that it'll last longer enough that it makes it worth while or if it gets the job done at least that much more quickly.
>>
>>1152742
You don't have to baby an estwing, just don't store it in the sun, covered in oil or solvent, and don't store it under water or in solvent fumes and it should last at least 30-50 years.

All of this applies to anything made of rubber or rubber-like plastics.
>>
>>1152745
You can store steel parts in a bucket of waste oil if that's all you have.
>>
>>1152751
>steel parts
That's not what I'm talking about though.
I'm talking about the rubber handle, which will degrade if it is constantly soaked in oil.
>>
>>1152761
Quality "rubber" (plastic) handles are mostly unbothered by climate. I discard any that fail since it's not worth it to me to plasti-dip them. I wear gloves as needed which isn't often.

If weather can damage your tool handles they suck. I've had quality tools roast in the Saudi desert and not lose their plastic. Protective coatings like Armor All would make the handles slippery.
>>
>>1152775
doesn't it all depend on the type of plastic? Urethane has totally different properties than buna n, nylon, etc. and they all react differently to solvents and oils. I don't even know what Estwing makes their handles out of, but I'd suspect it's similar to a butylene overmold that you'd find on a lot of tools? I doubt its actual latex rubber, right?
>>
>>1153415

yeah, I THINK Estwing's handles are nylon, which should be mostly impervious to oils, water, and general chemical stuff but is vulnerable to some mineral acids, chlorine, and will get brittle with with UV light exposure, although they may add something in the dyes to protect them from that. As long as it's not in direct sunlight, it should last a very long time.
>>
>>1141588

aren't these the hammers that are drop forged, they are all one piece of steel so you will never have to buy another hammer.

all of the cheaper hammers the heads will snap off eventually where it connects to the handle.
>>
>>1142795
Whats with geologists and drinking.
Has this been some inside joke running since forever ago?
My natural science professor makes this lame quips about drinking out in the field all the time. I think he thinks it makes him sound young and hip in front of the ladies but hes really just an obese hamster man.
My
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.