[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /diy/ from a small farm in rural India! I have a small

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: unnamed.png (149KB, 1024x600px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.png
149KB, 1024x600px
Hello /diy/ from a small farm in rural India!

I have a small house on my land, and would like to have a 'personal' weather station in an appropriate location on the farm. The nearest actual weather station is ~140mi away.

Does anyone have any experience doing anything like this? How do I get started for cheap?

OT: I lurk /g/ and didn't know /diy/ existed until a few minutes ago. This place is way more interesting.
>>
>>1141577
google diy weather station and look for arduino or other mcu you're comfortable working with. you could probably get this done with a cheaper mcu but if youre new to the whole scene arduino is a good pick up as they have plenty of sensors for you to muck with.
>>
>>1141579
Cheers for the help.

I have a shit internet connection here. My browser told me there was an error creating *this* thread. Sorry about the dupe.
>>
>>1141579
Here to second this, arduino + some sensors is the easiest way to go about.

Another question is how you want to actually read the data. Seems like you either get wireless to the area + use a dongle, or run wires, or just walk out there from time to time to collect.
>>
>>1141581
I've reported the other thread for you. Why don't you report it too.

Off topic but are there websites where second hand farm equipment is sold over there? I've looked at ebay India but it just seems to have stuff for rich bored city girls.
>>
>>1141577
>How do I get started for cheap?

You can't. But this is an awesome project if you have lots of time and enjoy programming. You can use an AVR based board to monitor several sensors. Then, depending on the distance involved, you can use XBEE radios (up to miles) or Bluetooth (up to tens of yards) to transmit the data every minute or so to a corresponding unit inside.

Then the fun part. You can either connect the indoor unit to a laptop via USB or be really cool and use Bluetooth to send the data to a cheap Android tablet where you can have an awesome display like in your pic.

If you have never done any programming this could easily take months but it will be fun if you find that you enjoy programming. The main key is to learn how to Google search specific questions. The best source of information by far is StackOverflow. Don't create an account at first, just learn how to phrase your Google search and you will find that every conceivable question has been answered before.
>>
>>1141583
Running wires would be a pain and probably be unreliable at a hundred metres or more, just as a ballpark guess. Directional transmitter would be what I'd do, you could maybe even use a salvaged satellite receiver for the dish. Some sort of microwave transmission is probably the best for quality and speed, but I'm not sure how it compares to radio in terms of weather interference. It's what they use for long-range wireless industrial internet to send to a factory that's too far away to put in a cable, and those signals can carry Gb/s speeds. Here's a good feature for the weather station, you can tell that it's raining because you can't get a signal!

Of course if you had a whopping great transmitter out there I doubt solar and a battery would run the whole rig, so you'd need a power cable anyway. So as far as I see it you've got three options:
>Wireless data with a power cable
>Wired data with solar
>Wired data with a power cable
The bottom is cheapest, and lets you run some sort of signal extender plugged in to the power cable at intervals along the cable.

All this is under the assumption that the weather station needs to be out in your farm instead of just on the side of your house, which if it's a small enough farm with little elevation difference, shouldn't matter. Or at least 10 metres away.
>>
>>1141596
>Some sort of microwave transmission is probably the best for quality and speed,

Xbee is simple and inexpensive and low power, and he's not looking for gigahertz bandwidth. And can you use microwave frequencies without a license? Maybe in India, but in america I would doubt it.
>>
The easiest solution is probably just buying a complete system from china, either eBay or BangGood. I wager it's not a whole lot more expensive than building one with Arduino and whatnot.
If you can't find anything that suits your needs,
>Arduino pro micro, ~$1.50
Very low power consumption, very suited for the outdoor sensors, indoor part doesn't matter, get a Nano ($2.50) or an Uno ($4.50). Micro does not have a voltage regulator, you have to feed it correct voltage.
>whatever sensors you want, probably around $1 each
>433Mhz radio modules $.50-$3 each
In an open field you can expect ~100 meters of range from the cheaper variants, more from the better ones, you can also attach an external antenna for better range/reliability
>some solar panel, you probably won't need a very big one, should be under $5
>rechargeable batteries

Buy the batteries on BangGood or locally, everything else from eBay or AliExpress.

Also note that just googling "Arduino weather station" will probably net you more than enough guides.
>>
>>1141645
It's entirely directional, you couldn't pick up the signal from 10° out of the beam and it's blocked by all shielding, in fact it pollutes the radio spectrum far less than any sort of radio.

But if >>1141656 is correct in getting radio modules for less than $10, that's the way to go.
>>
>>1141744
These are the sort of "good" ones
http://www.ebay.com/itm/433Mhz-HC-12-SI4463-Wireless-Serial-Port-Module-1000m-Replace-Bluetooth-TOP-/152462979763
$3 each, but you can find a transmitter-receiver pair with a shorter range for $.80 shipped.
>>
File: LaCrosse.png (122KB, 823x537px) Image search: [Google]
LaCrosse.png
122KB, 823x537px
Color forecast changes based on barometric pressure
Forecast tendency indicator
Outdoor temperature (°F/°C)
Outdoor temperature trend indicator
Outdoor humidity (%RH)
Outdoor humidity trend indicator
Signal strength icon for sensor transmission
Low battery icon for sensor
Min/Max indoor/outdoor temperature readings (°F/°C)
Indoor temperature (°F/°C)
Indoor temperature trend indicator
Indoor humidity (%RH)
Indoor humidity trend indicator
Customizable indoor/outdoor temperature alerts
12/24 hour time (manual setting)
Calendar: month/day/date
Heat index and dew point readings
USB charging port for mobile devices
>>
>>1141577

I understand the urge to DIY a station and it's a good project to set up a raspi with sensors and stuff but for shear ease and cost

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AcuRite-01036-Pro-Color-WEATHER-STATION-Wireless-PC-Conect-WEATHER-STATION-/262825807162?hash=item3d31a38d3a:g:9PYAAOSwnHZYXqZX

You can connect this to weather underground and publish your weather data online and see it anywhere
>>
I thought op was trying to get a balloon type setup going to predict rains etc for his and other farms in his area.
>>
>>1141997
>raspi
You can just use a $1 microcontroller, there's no actual software computing that needs to be done.
>>
https://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/buyingguide.asp
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.