[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I found a raven's skull and would like to make it into a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: il_fullxfull.515249459_kiy4.jpg (84KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
il_fullxfull.515249459_kiy4.jpg
84KB, 600x600px
I found a raven's skull and would like to make it into a necklace with stones and coyote canines. The skull is of course very fragile and I was wondering what the best way would be to protect and strengthen it for wearing. I think encasing it in some kind of clear resin would work but I've never done anything like this before. Any suggestions?
>>
>>1140826
And yes, I've searched online already. I'm just hoping for advice from someone who has worked with different types of resin since I don't know how strong it is.
I don't know how I'd make a mold so I figure I'd get close and then dremel out the parts I can, then sand to make it clear again?
>>
>>1140826
Check out Peter Brown's channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3CrzXzBFVqEopj5T1jiRtA
He covers all sorts of things in epoxy and you might get a good idea of it's strength, especially as he turns them on a lathe. He uses two types of resin, polyester and epoxy, each used for different purposes.

It sounds like you need polyester resin, you won't have to layer it and it turns out very clear (without bubbles), though it smells like a bitch so better get a chemical mask.
>>
>>1140852
Cool channel, thanks man.

Watching his epoxy knife video I saw that when epoxy is thin it looses strength considerably. It was thicker than I would want over the skull and he was able to make it soft and malleable with only the heat from his fingers. He mentioned acrylic, though, which I'm looking into now.
>>
>>1140852
I haven't found anything on the strength of polyester resin yet...
>>
>>1140872
It just looks a little more like a hard polycarbonate plastic than a rubbery epoxy when it sets. If you put resin on the inside of the skull it should be strong enough to have only a thin layer on the outside, but where it's solid and fragile you'll have problems. I'd perhaps suggest drilling into the fragile parts and putting in some strong steel wire in to reinforce it, if you did it right you'd also be able to hang it from protruding wire.
>>
>>1140876
>steel wire to reinforce
Good suggestion, I'll try it. I think I have a solution: cover the skull in putty and smooth it out to the shape, then make a silicone mold. Remove the putty and suspend the skull in the new mold, then pour in Alumilite Clear. The resin will impregnate the skull to add strength as well as an outside layer. I can then safely drill through the head+resin inside for the chain. Then polish, and bam.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.