[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hi /diy/ I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. Looking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

hi /diy/ I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. Looking to get into CNC, mostly aluminum and plastics and I'm torn on whether or not to get the conversion kit for my mini mill or to buy a 3040 machine off ebay and upgrade the spindle and electronics. Does anyone have any experience with those to let me know how they are?

>pic related
>>
How good's your mini-mill, and what kind of work area do you need? Budget?

Your "pic related", along with the average aluminum "CNC mill" is really more of a CNC router. Good for softer sheet goods, not so hot for smaller, bulkier, harder parts.
>>
File: 20170303_191153.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20170303_191153.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
6040 owner here. It's hot swamp ass. Do not recommend. I've done extensive upgrading to it, including replacing the flimsy faggot rail extrusion bed with a solid 1/2 in tooling plate and mounting it on a 150lb cast iron surface plate to damp vibrations. Had to buy a smoothstepper to get around nonexistent 64 bit parallel port driver for mach 3. Does ok as an engraving machine. Really struggles to mill aluminum and leaves horrid surfaces. Might be ok for plastic or wood. Dealing with the chinese is a fucking nightmare. Manual is in chingy chongy engrish and pin assignments are wrong.

Buy a bridgeport.
>>
>>1140811
I'm on a literal shoestring. Maybe 2k. I've seen some vids of the 3040 and 6040 doing some decent aluminum though not too sure. I also don't have to be very precise. It can be about .5 mm off maybe a little more
>>
>>1140895
Deepgrove1 if it's big enough for you

If you want larger scale metal milling you're going you have to extend that budget
>>
File: pinball-ball.jpg (91KB, 470x274px) Image search: [Google]
pinball-ball.jpg
91KB, 470x274px
Hey, not OP, but can anyone recommend from personal experience a decent cnc mill for wood and foam? I do carpentry and aluminum casting.
>>
Shopbot CNC machines are great, used one in the high school shop for mostly wood, but sometimes for al plate. They are pretty robust and reliable, and are American. Their software is a little meme if you are used to industrial controls like haas but shopbot can interpret normal nc g code files from any old cad/cam package. Autodesk fusion is free for diyers and works nicely for making models and g code.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.