[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I changed out the switches for my garbage disposal and kitchen

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 8

File: IMG_20170306_132329.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170306_132329.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
I changed out the switches for my garbage disposal and kitchen light, wired them back up, and now the garbage disposal doesn't tun on. I wired them up how there were previously, am I missing something?

If I remove the jumper from the 20A switch and attach the hot wire directly to it, it will work.
>>
File: IMG_20160614_141040.jpg (2MB, 1872x3328px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160614_141040.jpg
2MB, 1872x3328px
HAHAHAHHAHAHA my god the wiring in burgerland never ceases to amaze me hahahhahah omg i'm dying over here. Who was the lunatic that though this kind of wiring is appropiate. Take a look at how we build in europe master race instead of going on with your shitty cardboard houses

HAHAHHHAHAH
>>
Is the red switch is the disposal?
If both switches are turned on, does the disposal come on?
I
If both are yes, swap the two wires farthest to the right in the pic.
(or move the jumper to the bottom terminal)
>>
>>1140726
The red is the disposal, correct. The disposal stays off regardless of the position of the other switch.

There are actually 4 outlets under the sink, does the disposal have to be plugged into a specific outlet?
>>
>>1140709
i can't wait for someone to chime in telling you that there is wiring like op in plenty of europe.
the point is that there is nothing like >>1140709 anywhere in the US.
absolutely beautiful anon i have seen some neat boxes but nothing that size.
>>
>>1140728
>The red is the disposal, correct.
Judging from just this side of the switch it appears to be a 3-way switch.
If it has a screw on the other side, move the top black wire to that screw.
DO NOT CONNECT THE BLACK WIRE TO THE GROUND SCREW WHICH IS ON THE FRAME
>>
>>1140697
does the red switch have ON and OFF embossed on the toggle?
>>
>>1140709
>HAHAHAHHAHAHA
Need a time-stamp pic of YOUR service box with cover removed.

else, stfu
>>
>>1140741
It's a single-pole switch: http://a.co/2RfXUTF

>>1140744
Yes, it does: http://a.co/2RfXUTF
>>
>>1140697
get a multimeter. figure out how to check voltage with it.
determine which black wire is constant 120V. wire that to the tops of both switches. wire the other two blacks to the bottoms of both switches. the end
>>
>>1140709
if your master race was so smart they would know not to bend wires like that because it creates hot spots in the bend
>>
>>1140750

I'm pretty sure that's the wire connected to the top of the right switch. As I said, when I connect that wire to the top of the left switch, the disposal will turn on.
>>
>>1140697
>If I remove the jumper from the 20A switch and attach the hot wire directly to it, it will work.

bad switch
>>
>>1140697
I can assure you that is not how it was when you found it. Because I bet like that, both switches would have to be on for the garbage disposal to work. Never combine switches like that. Also, tape up that knick in the insulation on that one wire before you get a short.
>>
the wire that stabs into the upper back of the white switch may be loose. If it is 12 wire, it is too big to be stabbed into the back of the switch like that. It needs to be looped under the screw. It may just be so loose it is not sending power to the red switch.
>>
File: 2008-02-13_212731_wirenutR[1].jpg (6KB, 300x270px) Image search: [Google]
2008-02-13_212731_wirenutR[1].jpg
6KB, 300x270px
>>1140697
Don't attach one switch to another switch like that. If the passthrough switch has a fault then everything after it loses power. Standard switches like that should only have one 'hot in' and one 'hot out' in use (this rule doesn't apply to special switches and outlets). Don't ever double up wires on a screw or use the screw and the stab-in connector at the same time. In fact, don't use stab in connectors are all if you can help it. If you ever need to replace the unit you will have to cut the wires off the back. Use pigtails, picture related, anytime you have to 'split' a wire to two different destinations.
>>
>>1140940
I wish electricians would always use pigtails, but they are cheap around here and want to save that extra 10 cents and 2 minutes of time, so it's a bitch when you need to change things up.

And those stab terminals are the worst thing ever.
How many times do you open up a dead outlet to find that it had just worked it's way loose becoming a fire hazard?
The screw terminals that have teeth on plate so you don't HAVE to have a loop are perfectly fine IMO, and are almost as fast, but much more reliable.
>>
File: PicForOP.jpg (35KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
PicForOP.jpg
35KB, 640x480px
Here is pic for OP
safer more correct way
>>
>>1141026

OP here. Thanks for the diagram. This was actually the way I tried to wire it up at first, and it didn't work. Maybe I didn't have the correct wire as the hot.
>>
>>1141126
If it is not working then you should use a multimeter and check if your switch works, if the switch is not the problem then you fried out something inside your disposal.
Try to turn on the light with the disposal switch.
>>
Plug something into the outlet like an alarm clock and see if it turns on
>>
File: IMG_20170307_124302.jpg (4MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170307_124302.jpg
4MB, 3024x4032px
>>1141023
>>1141192

I got it working. There was a bunch of things going wrong.

So here is the re-wire. I turned the breaker back on after this, still didn't work. Tried another outlet, still nothing. Maybe the disposal is jammed? Use a hex wrench to unjam it, hit the reset switch, bingo. Starts working.

New problem, won't turn OFF! Doesn't matter what the switches are doing. So I change the plug to another outlet, and now everything is working as it should. Thanks for the help!
>>
>>1141205

what a moron....
>>
>>1140709
Lol you should see the panels I work on that were assembled in Germany. Looks like you guys had too many beers before wiring it.
>>
File: IMG_20170307_161040.jpg (4MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170307_161040.jpg
4MB, 3120x4160px
Instead of making a new thread, I figure I could ask this here. How do I go about hooking this light fixture up? I know I need to turn off the breaker before I start messing with it
>>
File: IMG_20170307_161016.jpg (4MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170307_161016.jpg
4MB, 3120x4160px
>>1141308
And here's where I'm trying to put it
>>
>>1141309
Bare = Ground
hook them together
White = Neutral
Hook to both fixture white wires to the box white .

I think, in the box, that black is always hot (for a fan) and red is switched hot.
So, hook both light blacks to the red wire
>>
>>1141315
Thank you, I appreciate the help. My wiring experience hasn't gone beyond installing head units lol
>>
>>1141315

i doubt black is always hot, typically for a ceiling fan black is switched fan red is switched light or vice versa. the feed will be at the switch box.

you need to figure out which wire is hooked up to the switch, my guess would be it's the black and the red is capped off.
>>
>>1141287
Little unnecessary man. Everybody's gotta learn sometime.
>>
>>1140751
That's control wiring, nobody cares about bends in a line under 300 volts and low current.

>>1140709
You're bashing us, yet all of your runs are on 32 amp circuits so every single device needs a disposable fuse or your houses will burn down. Take your switched outlets, 220v and 50hz, and fuck off
>>
>>1141511
240v master race here. Anything less is for peasants
>>
>>1141568
Why? Nothing in my house is any less shitty then your Chinese shit. It all works. Besides, all houses in the US have 220. We just dont use it on every little thing.
>LEL MY COFFEE MAKER IS 220
The element may be, but everything else is low voltage controls.
>>
>>1140709
So... You have autists do your wiring for you?

Good on you for giving the little shits something to do I suppose. Diversity in the workplace and whatnot
>>
>>1141287
wire up deez nuts
>>
>>1141511
Devices don't need fuses, fuses protect the cable and only the cable.
The voltage is higher so the cable can be thinner and current rating lower for the same about of power. Running larger circuits has nothing to do with the voltage it's a separate issue.
When was the last time we had fucking rolling blackouts? Oh yeah never. Wow you sure showed us.
Our outlets are screw clamp terminal, you can put as many wires as you need to and screw it down. None of that stupid ugly wire nut shite.
Next you'll be trying to bring up standing on plugs. Pro-tip: We don't leave plugs lying around like a bunch of disgusting animals.
Outlets without ground? Come join us in the 21st fucking century.
Arc fault interrupters? Yeah your wiring sounds really great.
>>
>>1143021
>don't mention location
>when's the last time you heard us have a blackout? huh?

skillful
>>
>>1140940
>In fact, don't use stab in connectors are all if you can help it. If you ever need to replace the unit you will have to cut the wires off the back
not completely true. switches and outlets I have seen and used with stab connections also have a small hole next to the stab hole. you can put a very small screwdriver or straightened out paperclip in the 2nd hole to release the wire from the stab hole. yes it takes a little time and effort. cutting the wires is much faster but you also shorten the wire.
>>
>>1141205
If it won't turn off, then it's not wired through the switch. Turn the breaker off and get someone out who knows what they're doing. DIYing electrical work is incredibly foolish if you don't know what you're doing.
>>
>>1140697
dude your hot wires are connected to nothing. pick a terminal that's not green and screw that white wire in. are you sure the light works? from the picture I dont think the light works.
>>
Does Americans not have color coded wires or is it because it's an old installation?
>>
File: oldshitnewshit.jpg (144KB, 576x935px) Image search: [Google]
oldshitnewshit.jpg
144KB, 576x935px
>>1144040
It's very old. Probably 50+ years old. For several decades the standard in the USA has been black for hot, white for neutral and green for ground. The problem was, there was no standard color for runs that had a 'second hot', like with a light controlled by two switches. A 4 wire bundle would be two blacks, a white and a green. So you would end up with something that looked like picture related, top part, when wiring a three-way switch.

Sometime in the 1960's or prior (depending on location) the code was changed for the second hot to be red. See picture related, bottom part. Prior to that, they *should have* marked the second hot at the ends with some tape or something but tradespeople are the laziest sacks of shit you will ever meet and often they didn't.

I've run into houses where none of the outlets had a ground cable run to them. The lazy fuck just grounded the box because the outlet could then get its ground from the mounting screws. The funny thing? A few of the houses had boxes which were a more expensive type with a ground wire pre-attached to the frame. So the purchasing agent went out of their way to buy a box just to make the electricians' job easier and the lazy shitter still fucked it up. They didn't even have to make a pigtail, just loop the wire around the screw and tighten it. Then the lazy shit inspector came behind him and signed off on it even though it wasn't up to code. Assholes.

The only time the ground wouldn't work in that case is when another electrician is probably pulling the outlet out of the box because it had a fault. Now it has no ground at all. Sure, they should turn off the power when working but we've already established that they are a bunch of dumb, lazy fuckers. They do hot work all the time when they shouldn't. So lazy ass fucker A is just fucking future lazy ass fucker B. With any luck it will be the same person trying to fix their shoddy work and they will kill themselves. One can only hope
>>
>>1144093
you ok?
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.