[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pretty much every Mars mission they say to build a base we need

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 7

File: PIA00407-16.jpg (435KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
PIA00407-16.jpg
435KB, 1600x900px
Pretty much every Mars mission they say to build a base we need to mine ice and use the atmosphere to make rocket fuel.

What can I use to do similar things on Earth?
No I don't care about rocket fuel, but using the dirt, atmosphere, and water to make things.
>pls not farming
>>
>>1140378
Um, well the obvious thing is mining. You can use various rocks to produce cool things. Mars doesn't have an organic layer of dirt so its a lot easier to find important minerals on Mars than it is earth.
>>
>>1140390
Let me give you an example.
In the game space engineers you can put a vent on your ship and then when in atmosphere it can suck in air and fill your tank.
>>
sculpting with clay?
making clay?
>>
>>1140378
>go to the Ross ice shelf
>set up solar panels
>dig through ice and turn into hydrogen for your dank drift buggy
>use oxygen to breathe in your submarine
>mine minerals from sea floor
>make millions off methane hydrate
>get attacked by New Zealand T6-C Texan trainers
Living the high life.
>>
>>1140398
That's what I want to see!

Mars Direct eat your heart out.
>>
>>1140378
Farming
>>
>>1140398
>go down deep in Ocean
>find volcanic vent
>start screaming
>It is all your fault
>life started here
>no it ends here
>kill yourself in volcanic vent
>>
>>1140398
Alternatively,
>travel to texas
>find unoccupied spot in the western outback
>begin building low-profile habitat
>single storey, half underground
>make sure to cover the roof with dirt to mask it from satellite photography
>tunnel extending down to caves full of bats
>collect guano
>mine sulfur
>burn wood underground to make charcoal
>produce own firearms from iron veins in the cave
>kill aliens
The whole thing was just an immigrant joke.
>>
>>1140378

There is nitrogen in the soil, and water has oxygen and hydrogen.

Martian soil is also very high in iron. Earth has all these things but there are much cheaper sources than normal dirt or ocean water.
>>
>>1140464
last line got me
>>
File: 3.53.jpg (149KB, 380x543px) Image search: [Google]
3.53.jpg
149KB, 380x543px
>>1140390
Earth has cooler minerals because Earth has water and life. This tends to separate out weird minerals. Uranium is only soluble in water in the presence of oxygen, this allows for uranium to separate out and form rich ore bodies.

We probably won't find stuff like this on Mars

>>1140378
You can use pic related to produce carbon, silicon, titanium, iron, magnesium, sodium/ potassium metals, hydrogen, and oxygen from just dirt. One could use this process to make solar cells from dirt, to power the process, to make more solar cells from dirt

You could also make a hut out of mud
>>
>>1140393
Um, air compressor and ultra low temp high pressure distillation of liquid air products?

Or if you set up a good enough fridge you can freeze CO2 out of the atmosphere to make dry ice.
>>
File: electroysis3.jpg (46KB, 424x452px) Image search: [Google]
electroysis3.jpg
46KB, 424x452px
>>1141529
OP here. This is an awesome pic. I will investigate.

>>1141845
>Or if you set up a good enough fridge you can freeze CO2 out of the atmosphere to make dry ice.

I like this. It reminds me of a device someone made out of junk to separate hydrogen and oxygen from water (electrolysis). Similar to pic related, but I don't know because I saw it back around 2001 or so.
>>
>>1141956
Water splitters are pretty common for hobbyists to make, and they're pretty fun if you just want to blow up water bottles. For explosions you typically keep the two gasses together, it keeps the device more compact and more efficient, and the resultant gas is often referred to as "hydroxy" gas. There are probably a few home-chemistry uses for hydrogen gas but they're not the most useful devices, but if you managed to make one with a high enough gas output you could make an effective oxyhydrogen torch and plasma cutter. But don't fall into the trap of HHO generators in cars; conservation of energy doesn't work that way.
>>
>>1140398
Sounds like a matthew riley novel
>>
>>1141529
That's real interesting. I just did work as an intern over summer (sth hem) in a water authority.

The solid mass left by treating sewage is quite high in iron, zinc, and copper - but also has levels elevated above natural soils of plenty of other heavy metals (The typical lab screen from memory included: As, Cu, Cr, Cd, Fe, Pb, Hg, Zn, Se. Historically they included more but dropped them on a risk based level)

Personally I don't see why (if you had the capital) you couldn't set up a plant supplied with power by solar/wind (especially here) that processed these solids from the authority. The minerals were typically vastly exceeding their nutritional value, and if you could at all engineer a remainder of nitrogen/phosphorus you'd end up with tons of fertiliser to sell afterwards.
>>
>>1140378
MODS
>how do i use anything to make anything?
fuck you OP and fuck your shitty thread.
>>
>>1141969
You could even extract the excess nutrients left within the discarded faecal matter and turn them into food, how's that for sustainability?
>>
>>1141529
When this says calcination 1300 c, reduction of fe,.. 1300-1500 c what does it mean?

Does it mean heat to 1300 c, maintain, then add an additional 1300-1500 c for the next step?

or

Heat to 1300 c, then heat an additional 0 - 200 c for the next step.
>>
>>1140378
go to phobos or deimos, they're better than Mars
>>
>>1140378
>Collect salt water
>distil water and collect salt
>build oxyhydrogen generator
>turn distilled water into gas
>use gas to create stove to cook on
>use salt on your farmed shit potatoes.
>>
NOT /diy/ and you know this. Fuck off to /g/ for your dumbfuck non-search shitposting.
>>
>>1142700
This thread brought up some very interesting possibilities though and avenues for DIY.
>>
>>1140378
Read some Kim Stanley Robinson then acknowledge earth as a semi toxic yet habbitable world and start colonizing.
First power then water.
>>
File: IMG_1073.png (2MB, 1242x2208px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1073.png
2MB, 1242x2208px
>>1141529
Can this mini metal foundry do that cycle with some modifications? It can melt aluminum.
>>
File: molten oxide electrolysis.jpg (60KB, 884x541px) Image search: [Google]
molten oxide electrolysis.jpg
60KB, 884x541px
>>1142364
Here's more info on the process:
http://www.molecularassembler.com/KSRM/3.15.htm
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Christopher_Wendt3/publication/222331160_Exponential_growth_of_large_self-reproducing_machine_systems/links/5418bc3e0cf25ebee9882462/Exponential-growth-of-large-self-reproducing-machine-systems.pdf
https://www.osti.gov/scitech/servlets/purl/768220

Those are the reaction temperatures, one needs to get stuff at those temperatures to get the reactions to occur.

>>1142837
No but this might:
http://hackaday.com/2015/06/16/mini-arc-furnace-melts-its-way-into-our-hearts/

Now another fun stuff from dirt process is magma electrolysis. One heats up dirt to really hot turning it magma. Magma consists of a bunch of metal oxides and silicates. We can electrolyze the magma to get a mixture of metals and silicon.(Although magma is pretty good at dissolving things)
>>
File: aafsm-fig5-41.gif (49KB, 1054x836px) Image search: [Google]
aafsm-fig5-41.gif
49KB, 1054x836px
>>1142878
one more fun process is hydrofluoric acid leach, this allows you to get pretty much everything you need from sand.

http://www.islandone.org/MMSG/aasm/AASM5E.html#5e
>>
File: Capture.png (106KB, 924x1008px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
106KB, 924x1008px
>>1142878
>>1142879
Thanks for all this. I will go through it.
I found the original paper, but it didn't go into detail on how the furnace could be built. For example a lot of the processes you have to harvest metal vapor to get the element.
>>
>>1142878
>http://hackaday.com/2015/06/16/mini-arc-furnace-melts-its-way-into-our-hearts/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIlZsuRc9jQ
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.