[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Looking at a used paf430-1. How are they figuring 4HP? The electrical

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: n27l002-4[1].jpg (105KB, 800x801px) Image search: [Google]
n27l002-4[1].jpg
105KB, 800x801px
Looking at a used paf430-1. How are they figuring 4HP? The electrical ratings are only 1800W tops. Or is it just marketing wank?
>>
>>1140250
Yup marketing wank. Like 3hp skilsaws on standard 120volt outlets.
>>
You mean my 5.5HP shopvac which weights like 4 pounds isn't actually 5.5HP?
>>
>>1140253
Well I mean its a 30 gallon air compressor. Didn't think it was out of the realm of possibility.

Plus its from devilbiss so I wasn't going to immediately conclude that they're just outright lying.
>>
>>1140259
Well HP and watts are measurements of the same thing, power. Like feet and meters for distance. 1 HP = 745.7 watts. Your 1800w compressor is 2.41384 HP.
>>
>>1140250
As with vacuums and such, marketers try to play up "peak horsepower" rather than operating horsepower. As with most electric motors, at startup it draws considerably more power than while running under load, and that's what the number usually indicates in these cases. Look for the volts and amps it requires to run for real comparisons.

>>1140251
>Like 3hp skilsaws on standard 120volt outlets.
This sort of thing isn't out of the realm of possibility. I have a 50A 120V outlet in my garage. 20A 120V is just over 3hp, and I have a chop saw that can trip 20A breakers. Probably hard to find in a skilsaw though.
>>
>>1140250
any time you see a 4hp induction motor without a lifting eye, you know it's straight bullshit.

considering the tiny cooling fins on the compressor head i'd be surprised if it was even 3/4hp.
>>
>>1140309
Might want to replace the cap's on your chopsaw mate.
>>
>>1140265
this
hp=watts/746
>>
File: watts to hp.png (12KB, 672x393px) Image search: [Google]
watts to hp.png
12KB, 672x393px
>>1140265
this

the calculation assumes 100% efficiency.
It consumes 2-1/2HP of electricity but probably can do 2HP of work.
>>
>>1140250
>How are they figuring 4HP?

by locking the shaft so it can't turn and noting the 3000W it consumes until the breaker trips or the motor burn out.
>>
>>1140370
Heh...

>>1140265
>>1140360
>>1140367
I'm aware hence I mentioned the 1800W figure.
>>
>>1140351
Nah, that's a common issue with that model. The motor is just overpowered for the nominal current rating, and draws enough to trip a regular breaker when you push hard on something thick.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.