[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need ideas for a garden watering system. Last year I had

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 11

File: img_3753.jpg (392KB, 768x872px) Image search: [Google]
img_3753.jpg
392KB, 768x872px
I need ideas for a garden watering system.

Last year I had some 30 foot soil beds and they did really well but I had to either hand water them with a sprayer or use a lawn sprinkler.

Iam looking for a better way to get water to my plants in the soil beds.

Hand watering takes time every day and I got lazy and just put a lawn sprinkler there to rain all over the plants.

Its not good for the plants to always get soaked with water so its better to have the water system down low at the soil.

Here is my problem: I cant use drippers.

Drippers wont work for the type of fertilizer iam feeding. I need more water. Like a spray.

I need some kind of a water line that is 30 feet long and can connect to a garden hose and also sprays water all along a 30 foot soil beds while covering 3 feet wide for the garden row.
>>
>>1139712
How about you mulch heavily, utilize no-till gardening methods and develope a healthy soil biome that retains water?

I haven't watered my garden beds in five years.
>>
File: watering-system.jpg (68KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
watering-system.jpg
68KB, 500x333px
>>1139727

I grow with the Mittleider soil bed method.

It uses a water soluble fertilizer so the only way to feed my plants is to have water dissolve the fertilizer into the soil.

I got really great results with this method last year. It was my best gardening year ever.

The Mittleider method recommends that you flood the beds with a hose, but this is not working for me because gophers have dug many holes near the garden and the water just runs down them. Making it impossible to flood the beds.

Another way to grow with Mitleider is to build a hardline PVC sprayer system and I could possibly do that but I am looking around for products that can do the same thing.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (109KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
109KB, 1280x720px
Once a week I give my plants the Weekly Feed fertilizer.

Its this mixture and these little prills of fertilizer are dissolved by water.
>>
File: water-wise-soaker-hose_1.jpg (46KB, 540x393px) Image search: [Google]
water-wise-soaker-hose_1.jpg
46KB, 540x393px
>>1139712
Leaky hose on a timer?
>>
File: 8747-watering-systems.jpg (133KB, 534x350px) Image search: [Google]
8747-watering-systems.jpg
133KB, 534x350px
>>1139751

These types of soaker hoses are similar to drip irrigation. Which isnt the best for my use.

They also clog up with calcium and stop working after awhile, we are on well water with alot of calcium in the water.

I think what I need are sprayer heads coming off of a 1/2 inch black tubing line.

Iam looking around for sprayers that will give me a good 360 degree coverage. That way I can just run one line down the middle of the row and soak the soil.

Ive bought alot of stuff before from a website called drip depot and Ive worked with black pvc tubing and other types of drippers before but I have never gotten sprayers.

I dont like the kind with a ridged riser. Meaning a stake that holds the sprayer up the in air.

I think what would be best is some sprayers that i can plug directly into the 1/2 tubing and run it down the middle of my rows.
>>
>>1139754
Where do you live? Is it hot? If you use a sprayer the water will get on the leaves and iot'll get scorched if you live in a hot climate.

Also mildew might be an issue with spraying, not quite sure though.

Could you use a lawn sprinkler? Might be cheaper
>>
File: 7.jpg (25KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
7.jpg
25KB, 300x300px
>>1139757

Last year I used this kind of Lawn Sprinkler.

It actually worked pretty good because I put it between two 30 foot rows and the sprinkler went back and forth covering both rows very well.

The problem with it is its not good to have water on the plants foliage every day. I live in michigan and its not super hot. But its still bad to have water all over the plants everyday because of mold or blight problems that can arise.

One of the things I need to resolve with this watering system is to get it low down by the soil just spraying the ground instead of spraying all over my plants and dripping down to the soil.
>>
>>1139759
Sounds like you're fucked then mate, whjy don't you use manure, wood chippings or any kind of mulch? Less work, keeps the moisture in, stops weeds and protects from frost.
>>
>>1139760

I used to grow for many years as an organic gardener.

But last year I tried this Mittleider gardening method and I got Amazing results. My tomato plants were 8 feet tall instead of 4 feet tall.

I used to grow organically and spend alot of money on the amendments but the Mittlieder method is very cheap on fertilizer and it grows play amazingly.

Its kinda like a outdoor hydroponic way of growing. That is why it needs alot of water and a watering system.
>>
>>1139763
I don't know what to suggest then mate, sorry
>>
>>1139731
> Another way to grow with Mitleider is to build a hardline PVC sprayer system and I could possibly do that but I am looking around for products that can do the same thing.

Whatever happened to "buy what you can't build" ?
>>
>>1139763
plant the tomatoes and peppers in a rows. rows should be 60-80cm from each other. after the plants grow a little, plow the space between rows so the soil is moved to the plants. this makes a raised bed/row and a ditch. fill the ditch with water directly from the hose once/twice a week and you are done. we've been doing this for years and it has worked a wonders. tomatoes are harvested from a ladder. you'll need a a little stronger pump - above 0,7l/s, or very short rows.

for rest of the garden we have ordinary pulse sprinklers with a long pipe so it has larger spread and is above plants.
>>
>>1139712
Anon, the soil science 101 in me is crying out loud. Please cove up that ground with something.
>>
>>1139810

Mittleider gardens are always bare dirt. Its the recommended way to do it.

All the nutrients are provided by the Weekly feed mixture so you dont need a good soil.

In fact you can grow in just sawdust and sand with this method of growing.
>>
>>1139731
1 inch or 3/4 inch pvc is gonna be a lot cheaper than hose... price it out per foot and compare...
>>
File: q_dab.jpg (29KB, 506x600px) Image search: [Google]
q_dab.jpg
29KB, 506x600px
Black PVC tubing is pretty cheap and easy to work with. So I want to use the flexible tubing instead of white rigid tubing.

My current plan is to connect together 30 feet long rows of tubing and run number of these button sprayers along the water line.
>>
File: HTB1sbOXKXXXXXX_XFXXq6xXFXXXw.jpg (106KB, 750x320px) Image search: [Google]
HTB1sbOXKXXXXXX_XFXXq6xXFXXXw.jpg
106KB, 750x320px
Farmers use these Irrigation Sprayer hoses but they are usually made for big farm operations and I need a garden hose size. Not one inch or bigger.
>>
>>1139712
I have a 25×40 foot garden. Last year I used tripod sprinklers and a garden hose timer it worked great.
Would recommend.
>>
>>1139875
Hi, what the assets of Mittleider besides simple hydroponics?
>>
>>1139942

Vertical gardening means you have a very high yield per square foot.

The fertilizer mix is shelf stable and can be stored for a very long time. And its economical. Way cheaper then Organics.

The fertilizer is a water soluble formula that gives plants all the needed 16 elements instead of just NPK.

Its very easy to weed because we use a scuffle hoe

Dr. Mittlieder created the fertilizer formula and yes its sort of like a large scale Passive Hydroponics way to grow as opposed to an active type of hydroponics that uses alot of pumps and plumbing.

Passive hydroponic systems use a Media like a Soil-less mixture or just any type of soil just for holding the roots. It gives the plant stability and all the nutrients are provided with the water soluble weekly feeds.

As opposed to Active system that have roots growing in air and water in some kind of a container or clay pellets. These active system always run on a timer that gives water multiple times per day.

A passive system only has to have water once a day because the Media holds the water and allows the roots a nice environment to live without having to do it Actively.
>>
The main benefit of Mittleider method would be that the Nutrition is handed so well.

Because its a style of Hydroponic growing the plants get all the food they could ever need at all times.

Instead of organic growing where you till in alot of stuff at the start of the year and it breaks down all season.

You add fertilizer weekly by just taking a measured amount and sprinkling it down the rows.
>>
>>1139931

I think a bunch of these adjustable sprayers going down the black pvc tubing will work for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpTV8G5-3uc&t
>>
File: giant_corn_2_.jpg (2MB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
giant_corn_2_.jpg
2MB, 900x1200px
>>1139938
+1 for this
Our front lawn and side lawn are gardens. We have two tripod sprinklers from tractor supply that we use. Good deep dick soaking when its hot as balls out.
>>
>>1139712
run pvc underground next to the plants and drill big holes, the further you go out the bigger the holes get

works for me, 19plant rows
>>
>>1139712
Schultz all purpose water soluble is $20 for a shitload. Change ferts and use a drip.
>>
>>1139754
Those soaker hoses that are flat instead of tubelar will give off a spray like>>1139932

Would it not be feasible to hook up a whole house filter coming off your sillcock? The el cheapos start around $40.
>>
>>1140900

The fertilizer for Mittleider method is super cheap also. You get a big bag at a Farm and Feed store for really cheap then you add a bag of micronutrients which gives a balanced proportion of all the nutrients plants need.

Drippers are just a bit too slow and dont put out enough water down a row to effectively dissolve any kind of water soluble nutrient.

Spraying is the best way to soak all the soil and let the nutrients get to the roots.

I think drippers would do the job but just not as good as sprayers would.
>>
>>1140948

I have not found a place to buy a hose like that which can spray. I have only found them that can drip out slowly.

I did see some places in china selling the spray hose but I dont know if I want to buy from that, seems like a shady online Chinese site. It maybe trustworthy but iam leary about it.
>>
you get a garden hose then you poke holes on it at the angle you want the water to hit to avoid the leaves then turn the water on.
>>
>>1141080
get the side to side sprinkler system and hang it upside down so its sprays like this /\ instead of this \/
>>
File: Drilling-Holes.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
Drilling-Holes.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>1141080

The Mittleider gardening course books details a system made out of hardline PVC.

You plumb the lines and use a drill bit to make the sprayers that spray down /I\
>>
File: q_mad.jpg (37KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
q_mad.jpg
37KB, 600x600px
I see these on a bunch of websites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53z_A3S8HVw

They do a 360 downspray but you have to put them on riser stakes and that is too complicated.

They have to either thread into hardline or be put on a rigid riser.

Its better to keep things simple.

So far the simplest solution would be to find some of that Spraying Irrigation hose and lay it out.
>>
>>1140971
Or. you know... Call up a local arborist and tell them they can dump the tree chips in your driveway instead of the dump.

Then you cover the entire garden in 3-4 inches of mulch and significantly reduce the water requirements and completely eliminate the need for inputs.

I haven't watered my garden in 5 fucking years. I haven't ever fertilized it beyond wood chips and the occasional coffee grounds from work.

Last year during a particularly bad drought my neighbor's garden had significant die-back even with regular watering. My soil stayed nice and moist and cool and when I came back from vacation 13 days later it was a god damn overgrown forest.

My lettuces never get bitter which my neighbor can't even grow in summer. And my tomato plants would gain expanded consciousness and begin teaching the dharma if only I'd stop cutting them back.

If you need to "work" in the garden, or do anything other than go out and pick food and rip up volunteers where they don't belong then you're doing it wrong.
>>
>>1139727
>no-till gardening

Spot the meme gardener.
>>
>>1141574
>meme
My compacted clay can now be dug with bare hands.
>>
>>1140971
Almost all good ferts have macros now. Even Miracle Gro Shake & Feed has had them for years. Schultz has had them forever.

Put Osmocote Plus (which is just 14-14-14 shake n feed that lasts longer) in the soil, or use Schultz I'm a feed tank.

I'm not trying to poo poo your hobby. Grow Mittleider if that's what you want to do.

I'd give this a watch https://youtu.be/HUGhy8a6kNQ first.

There's all kinds of funky shit that can automate and/or increase yields. I've tried a lot of them, and try others on test runs BC I like building shit and experimenting. (The biggest winner is drilling holes in buckets and lining with landscape fabric, btw. All the benefits of air pots, none of the cost.)

ML is vertical gardening with as close to a hydro setup as you can get outdoors. Very cool stuff. Also expensive and time consuming. I do about 300 sq ft of veggies every year. Don't have time for much beyond CRF - but then, my vegetable garden is just for food, it's not a hobby.

Idk. It's late. ML is neat stuff. I did my tomatoes on a trellis in soilless buckets, watered rain gutter style, a couple years ago. Was fun, and cheap, but fuck that ate a lot of my time.

I kept the scaffold I built for upside down cherry tomatoes though. THAT worked really well. 4 five gal buckets - had a bowlful of cherry toms daily after it got going.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.